TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster HPC smoke detector

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by DoctorZ, May 12, 2016.

1. DoctorZ

DoctorZ Member

Recently bought an '08 Roadster to keep my P85+ company.
    The former came with its (unused) HPC but....there was no smoke detector included.
    Any comments regarding availability of the appropriate detector and its importance much appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Not sure it is needed as mine is built like a tank.

3. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

Definately not required for operation.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I have an HPC and it didn't occur to me to place a smoke detector near where it is mounted in my garage. I have a smoke detector in my garage, about 20 ft away.

I

5. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Locating a smoke detector near the Roadster HPC never crossed my mind. Those things are built like tanks.

• Like x 1
  6. MileHighMotoring

I'm confused - OP thought a smoke detector ought to be included? Was it originally?

7. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

....and did the Model S charger come with a smoke detector? I don't think so. So why would they put one in the Roadster's charger? And when you google "ev charger smoke detector" nothing relevant comes up.

Curious where the poster got the idea they'd have a smoke detector. You can install one yourself if you like above the unit if you feel jittery.

8. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I did come across a comment in an EV forum that said they believed the "early" Tesla chargers had a fire/smoke detector that would shut them down if a fault was detected. Only thing I could find... possibly the very first Roadster chargers had it.... I don't know, maybe.

"I think that Tesla's approach to fire safety with EVs is probably the best I've heard. Their early chargers (I'm not sure if this applies to their new ones) had built-in fire/smoke detectors that automatically shut them off if fire was detected."

9. slcasner

slcasner Member

Yes, the original Roadster HPC (the rectangular box, pre-Clipper Creek) came with a smoke detector that is connected to the HPC. If smoke is detected, charging stops. I mounted the smoke detector above the HPC in my unfinished garage. This initial HPC design was perhaps excessively concerned about safety.

10. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

I guess I made that assumption since I have an original HPC. I believe the little black jack is labeled "smoke detector." It seems that a smoke detector was originally included an, as above, would stop charging if it detected smoke. I guess the updated, Tesla-branded Clipper Creek charger didn't have this option.

I can tell you that I have the HPC pictured below (I'm pretty sure that's the actual one I purchased) without a smoke detector connected, and it works fine.

[​IMG]

11. DoctorZ

DoctorZ Member

Greetings,

And thanks for your input :)

The Roadster HPC has a port on its side to plug in the smoke detector that originally came with the device.
    The charger itself has an indicator light on the front of the panel labeled "Smoke Detected"
    Further, with the connected smoke detector in place, the charging circuit is shut off automatically if smoke is detected.

12. DoctorZ

DoctorZ Member

Thanks for your reply; this is the same unit I have.
    I DO know the unit works sans smoke detector attached but nonetheless thought having the original detector in place would add a measure of safety as it is designed to shut down charging if smoke is detected. Dr.Z