Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster HPWC -- original vs new model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on the market for a Roadster HPWC. I am learning that there are 2 models. The first appears to be indoor rated only with 70amps max. The currently sold model is indoor/outdoor and also has a 70amp max.

Please correct me if I am incorrect here. I am also trying to learn more here. Is the original one a valid/safe option? I do not need to have a need to install outdoors. Overall, I want to charge up to 70amps.

I don't think the very early HPWCs were Clipper Creeks.
They looked like this:
tesla-martin-delivery-004jj.jpe

2007_tesla_charger.jpg

Maybe Tesla found it was cheaper to resell a higher volume unit than make their own just for the small number of Roadster customers.

Clipper Creek based ones look like this:
Tesla-Wall-Charger.jpg

I have one of the original HPWCs that came with my Roadster VIN #33. It has a rotary dial to select the max current that will be delivered. Mine is installed on a 40A circuit (the same one that has powered out EV1 in the past and still powers our 2003 RAV4-EV) so the max current delivered is 32A.

This HPWC came with a smoke detector so that power could be turned off if smoke was detected.

There have been some reports of problems trying to charge a 2.0 or 2.5 car with the original HPWC because the GFCI trips.

Not surprising. The 2.0/2.5 Roadsters have leakage current that is higher than standard GFCIs will allow. It is however allowed to have that much leakage current on an EVSE. It's just that some EVSEs don't have the more permissive GFCI threshold. Ironic if that were the case for the original HPC.

Yes, my HPWC for Roadster number 189 worked fine for my 1.5 car, but would not charge a 2.0 Roadster due presumeably to the leakage. Mine looks like the top picture TEG posted above without the current adjustment knob