TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster Immobilized

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by John W. Ratcliff, May 15, 2016.

1. John W. Ratcliff

So, I've had my Roadster for about two weeks and have been really enjoying it. But, just two weeks in, I find myself in a situation with it.

Here's what happened. Last night I went out to a restaurant, and I locked the car before I went in.

When I came out, and hit the key fob to unlock it, the car just made a 'chirp' but wouldn't unlock.

Since the top was off of the car, I was able to just manually open the car door. But, when I did, the car alarm went off. If I just hit the unlock button on my key fob, it would at least stop the alarm from blaring. The trunk opens fine (and doesn't set off the alarm), but the door locks will not open.

When I got into the car and turned the key, a flashing red 'lock' symbol showed up. The car was in some kind of advanced security lock out mode.

On the console display, it asked me to enter a PIN number. Since I just got the car used, I didn't know the PIN. I tried '0000' and '1234' and, of course, neither of those worked. I contacted the previous owner of the car (though TMC), and he told me his best guess at what the PIN was, but that didn't work either.

There is a way you are supposed to be able to get into the car, even if you are locked out, by inserting the key underneath the driver's side door. However, *that does not work*!

I called Tesla roadside assistance, but other than telling me to try the door key trick, they didn't have any other ideas.

Fortunately I went to a pretty nice restaurant, so the car is in a safe area in a shopping mall parking lot, which is less than a 1/4 mile away from the local police station in an upscale suburban community. I contacted the police to let them know that my car was there and that I wouldn't be able to do anything with it until Monday.

A key part of this story is that on Friday I just got my car back from Tesla service where they did the complete annual service on the vehicle; which included updating the software. I don't know if this is part of the reason the car went into this security lockdown mode, but it didn't do this before.

My concern now is this.

What are the chances that a Tesla tech will be able to get the car out of this mode, without requiring it to be towed?

My bigger concern is how will I get it towed when the vehicle is immobilized (no way to put it into neutral!)?

I can imagine how a flatbed might be able to winch the car up, but how would they be able to 'winch it off'?

Additionally, I don't have the 'tow hook' for the vehicle, it was not provided with it. I have one on order from Tesla when they told me on Friday it was missing but, of course, it's not here yet.

Needless to say, I'm super paranoid about leaving the car sitting in a parking lot for days. I do have a cover on it, which is some help. Then again, the cover was really meant for indoor storage rather than outdoor, and has a huge Tesla logo on it, so it's anything but 'low profile'.

Any advice appreciated. I'm really nervous about this situation.

2. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Have you tried replacing the batteries in your key?

• Like x 1
  3. John W. Ratcliff

I've got two keys, batteries seem fine in both and neither unlocks the car when it's in this security mode. I could try changing the batteries I suppose,.

4. BartJ

BartJ Member

Normally Tesla can retrieve the security pin over the air ( that's what they did when I purchased my car second hand and the previous owner did not remember the code)
    Do you have ovms - ? if yes that could possibly help.
    Other option would be to go in diagnostic mode on the VDS - select "Inhabit APS" and then "uninhabit APS" --> This will reboot al 12V powerd accersoires - including the door locks.

5. MileHighMotoring

How do you get into the Diag mode - it asks for a code.

6. BartJ

BartJ Member

See PM

7. John W. Ratcliff

I'll try calling Tesla one more time before I have it towed. Can you PM me the instructions for that reboot procedure?

8. John W. Ratcliff

#8 John W. Ratcliff, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
    Well, I'm going to just leave the car for one more day. Hopefully a tech from Tesla St. Louis can come out and fix it tomorrow.

I suspect this happened because of the software update they did at the annual service.

I was anxious to get it resolved today because I don't want to miss any work tomorrow. Plus it's supposed to rain tomorrow as well (I can't roll the window up all of the way because, if I do, there would be no way to get in the car at all). Leaving it sit in a parking lot for three days is definitely giving me anxiety.

9. slcasner

slcasner Member

I have been in the same situation. In my case Tesla was able to help me with the PIN (learned from a download?) even though my call was right at closing time. The problem in my case was that the module in the car that receives the signal from the key fob had failed. It was $300 to replace.

10. jerry505

jerry505 Member

#10 jerry505, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
    John - why not ask the towing people if there is a way to get the car on and off a flatbed. They might know a way even if the car will not roll.

11. John W. Ratcliff

No way to roll it since it's locked in park. If I have to get it towed it will require a "skate". Hopefully it won't come to that.

12. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

Can you disconnect the 12V battery? Just thinking that might re-boot something. Sorry it doesn't sound like any fun to be stuck like this.

13. John W. Ratcliff

At this point I'm just hoping Tesla service can send a tech out tomorrow and do his magic voodoo to get it working again.

14. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

You can use wheel dollies to move a car, even with locked wheels. No problem. I would thick a tow company would have a set, get the wheels up on casters and then winch the car on to a flatbed.

15. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

Pull the plug on the VMS. Wait a little bit, plug it back in and it will reboot. I'm pretty sure that's how we solved a very similar issue earlier this week.

12v dead? Can't start car.

16. John W. Ratcliff

Well, it's Monday morning and Tesla techs are back at work. They called me first thing this morning and are going to do what it takes to get my car sorted out. I'll post an update when it's resolved.

17. John W. Ratcliff

#17 John W. Ratcliff, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    Well, that was a lot of drama with a simple solution once the right people showed up on Monday morning. The tech gave me the last known/registered sekrit unlock code, that worked, and now the car is safely tucked away back in the garage. They still need to sort out what happened with the whole security system that got it into that state to begin with, but it's not an immediate emergency at least.

BTW, the take away lesson here is this.

* When you buy a used Tesla Roadster, do not finalize delivery until you are assured that you can lock and unlock the doors with your keyfob, that you can set and unset the security system, and that the emergency key lock works!!!!

This was my mistake.

• Helpful x 1
  18. Habious

Habious Member

Glad it was an easy fix!

I had to jump through quite a few hoops to get Tesla to give me the super-secret squirrel code for my Roadster. I had to register the car with them, send copies of the my registration,driver's license, etc.

Also, once you have it, you can easily change to something that you'll remember the next time! You'll also need it if you ever want to enable/disable Valet mode, or if/when you install an OVMS module in the car (highly recommended).

19. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Good advice. Glad you got everything sorted out.

When I bought my used Roadster from a BMW dealer in Florida, I was never able to contact the original owner. As it turned out, he had never reset the security code from the factory default so I was able to use it once when my car got into a weird state and wouldn't run. Only happened once.

20. Electric700

Electric700 Member

I'm going to expand this good advice to the Model X and S because there is a Valet Mode which requires a pin. The Model 3 may have it too.