Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster in Winding Road Issue 63

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice article.

This quote from the article seems to be way off:

In the case of the Tesla, 20 miles per hour is 1000 rpm and 60 is 3000 rpm, ...

Redline is supposed to be about 14000 rpm at about 120 mph. I have a Road and Track test results page I saved that indicates "Motor rpm @ 60 mph 7000".

Porsche gives new meaning to SByer's "rumbling block of inefficiency"

Related to this thread only because it's another article about a new 911, but in the 10/25/2010 issue of Autoweek, reviewing the 2011 911 GT2 RS: "The engine is refined, though, and with the noise-damping properties of those turbochargers, you can live with the sound it makes for long periods of high-speed running on the autobahn without resorting to ear plugs".

I immediately thought of SByer's quote I've seen used in a few threads: "rumbling block of inefficiency". The magazine writer would be hard pressed to have made that 911 any less appealing to me!

How much longer do I have to wait for my Roadster?

Redline is supposed to be about 14000 rpm at about 120 mph. I have a Road and Track test results page I saved that indicates "Motor rpm @ 60 mph 7000".

It is fairly close to MPH = RPMs / 100...
2796383645_87cc377b9c_o.jpg

It is fairly close to MPH = RPMs / 100...
2796383645_87cc377b9c_o.jpg
Not sure why you posted that image of a prototype instrument cluster. It was a 2 speed transmission then and even when locked into 2nd, it's different gear ratio than what's currently used.

That's right. And with a fixed gear ratio, it's pretty easy to see with the tach and speedo on the same gauge.
http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/interior2.jpg
attachment.php?attachmentid=1032&d=1287817246.jpg

interior2.jpg

Last edited:
That prototype cluster just makes it very obvious that the RPMs and MPHs have a direct correlation.
Yes, I know that the newer single speed changed the ratio slightly. (e.g., 13500RPMs=~125MPH instead of ~135MPH)

Another way to state it: RPMs ~= MPH*100
(very close to 100 in the original prototypes, more like MPH*111 now)

Last edited:
That prototype cluster just makes it very obvious that the RPMs and MPHs have a direct correlation.
Again, I don't see how one would safely make that assumption by looking at two separate dials at zero and when in fact there were two selectable gear ratios meaning there was no one-to-one correspondence. I suppose you could be relating the displayed ranges, but as one who's dealt with a lot of gauges, that's a dangerous way to draw a conclusion.

I noticed that on Euro 2.5's they dropt the rpm altogether leaving just mph/kmh being displayed.
That was the case on the Tag Hauer Roadster (2.0). I wouldn't be surprised if they did that on all the new cars (at least after their current supply of gauge cluster panels runs out). Tach isn't that important with one gear, speedo is a necessity (though, I give another futile plea for the US to go metric).

TAG-Heuer-Tesla-Roadster-2010-Interior-View-588x411.jpg

Last edited:
Again, I don't see how one would safely make that assumption by looking at two separate dials at zero and when in fact there were two selectable gear ratios meaning there was no one-to-one correspondence.

I suppose you are right. The ability to actually shift the two ratios was very short lived. When I first saw EP2 it was already "locked" in 2nd gear so was effectively a one speed. I wasn't thinking about the "other gear" that could be implied by using such an old photo. Anyways, point taken, probably time to move on.