TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster in Winding Road Issue 63

Discussion in 'News' started by LST, Oct 20, 2010.

1. LST

LST Senior Member

2. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I guess there "is a substitute"...(for a rumbling block of inefficiency!) :biggrin::biggrin::wink:

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

A side by side based on merits. Sweet. This will put more shopping test drivers in the Roadster seat.

4. Alan

Alan Member

Love the magazine BTW. 300 pages about super cars - thats going to cost a couple of hours!

5. tennis_trs

tennis_trs 2010 2.0 Roadster Sport

Nice article.

This quote from the article seems to be way off:

Redline is supposed to be about 14000 rpm at about 120 mph. I have a Road and Track test results page I saved that indicates "Motor rpm @ 60 mph 7000".

6. jasonhi

jasonhi Roadster 2.5 #1135

Porsche gives new meaning to SByer's "rumbling block of inefficiency"

Related to this thread only because it's another article about a new 911, but in the 10/25/2010 issue of Autoweek, reviewing the 2011 911 GT2 RS: "The engine is refined, though, and with the noise-damping properties of those turbochargers, you can live with the sound it makes for long periods of high-speed running on the autobahn without resorting to ear plugs".

I immediately thought of SByer's quote I've seen used in a few threads: "rumbling block of inefficiency". The magazine writer would be hard pressed to have made that 911 any less appealing to me!

How much longer do I have to wait for my Roadster?

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

It is fairly close to MPH = RPMs / 100...
    2796383645_87cc377b9c_o.jpg

8. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#8 doug, Oct 23, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
    Not sure why you posted that image of a prototype instrument cluster. It was a 2 speed transmission then and even when locked into 2nd, it's different gear ratio than what's currently used.

That's right. And with a fixed gear ratio, it's pretty easy to see with the tach and speedo on the same gauge.
    http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/interior2.jpg
    attachment.php?attachmentid=1032&d=1287817246.jpg
    interior2.jpg

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#9 TEG, Oct 23, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
    That prototype cluster just makes it very obvious that the RPMs and MPHs have a direct correlation.
    Yes, I know that the newer single speed changed the ratio slightly. (e.g., 13500RPMs=~125MPH instead of ~135MPH)

Another way to state it: RPMs ~= MPH*100
    (very close to 100 in the original prototypes, more like MPH*111 now)

10. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

I noticed that on Euro 2.5's they dropt the rpm altogether leaving just mph/kmh being displayed.

11. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#11 doug, Oct 24, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
    Again, I don't see how one would safely make that assumption by looking at two separate dials at zero and when in fact there were two selectable gear ratios meaning there was no one-to-one correspondence. I suppose you could be relating the displayed ranges, but as one who's dealt with a lot of gauges, that's a dangerous way to draw a conclusion.

That was the case on the Tag Hauer Roadster (2.0). I wouldn't be surprised if they did that on all the new cars (at least after their current supply of gauge cluster panels runs out). Tach isn't that important with one gear, speedo is a necessity (though, I give another futile plea for the US to go metric).

[​IMG]

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I suppose you are right. The ability to actually shift the two ratios was very short lived. When I first saw EP2 it was already "locked" in 2nd gear so was effectively a one speed. I wasn't thinking about the "other gear" that could be implied by using such an old photo. Anyways, point taken, probably time to move on.