TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster J1772 adaptor modification

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Rik, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Rik

Rik Member

I know there are products available to provide a shortened J1772 adaptor, however has anyone taken their existing adaptor cable and shortened to cables in between each end?

2. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Not sure why you would want to do this. If you want short I would go with HCSHARP'S can adapter. Anything in between would like rub the body and scratch your paint.

3. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

I second the CAN as the solution for a shorter J1772 adapter.

4. tomsax

tomsax Member

To do that properly requires expertise and special equipment to crimp the connectors properly. Anything less is a hack job I wouldn't trust to work safely. I third the CAN recommendation.

5. NomoC8

NomoC8 Member

Related topic:
    What would it take to make a roadster to j1772 connector? Roadster end, J1772, and...? Anyone know how to detach the Roadster end from the HPWC?

6. bart513

bart513 Member

You can ask HCSHARP. He's the expert!

7. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I thought Tom Saxton developed a J1772 inlet for the Roadster. While it was a great design between Tesla's adapter cable and HCSHARP'S can it seemed to fall by the side. If I recall it is not easy to replace the charge port.

8. tomsax

tomsax Member

Correct. I should update status on that thread. (Which is pinned at the top of the Roadster topic.)

9. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

For folks with a failed Roadster UMC, a reasonably inexpensive J1772 to Roadster adaptor can be made with that.

For public charging at RV parks, the JESLAtm converted Tesla Model S UMC to J1772 can provide 40 amps.

10. bart513

bart513 Member

No 70 AMP options for the Roadster Tony?

11. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

For portable public charging, no. There's really no convenient over 50 amp public place to plug in except RV park "50 amp" service, where you can pull 40 amps continuous (80% of the 50 amp circuit).

For home charging, of course, just get a Clipper Creek CS100 (80 amp J1772) and use the CAN-J1772 to Roadster adaptor. Make sure you have the firmware update to accept an 80 amp pilot signal without a fault.

12. bart513

bart513 Member

13. efxjim

efxjim Member

I took a roadster charging cable and disassembled it down to the bare minimum using info here on TMC. I purchased an inlet J1772 connector rated at 75A that had a 1 ft tail on it. Spliced the two together using crimps rated for the full 80 amps. Mounted the J1772 inlet (had to trim a notch in the roadster above the existing hole) in place of the original inlet. I should have mounted the inlet at a slight angle. Some handles have a hard time clearing the body. I then just plugged the stripped down charger end into the now unmounted Roadster inlet and tucked it down below the trunk shock. This lets Service still access the existing battery inlet and I can restore the car to stock in the future if necessary. 2013-06-25_13-49-50_HDR.jpg

14. augkuo

augkuo Member

Great job Jim, an elegant solution. Now we just need a model S HPWC adapter ;)