Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster J1772 adaptor modification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are products available to provide a shortened J1772 adaptor, however has anyone taken their existing adaptor cable and shortened to cables in between each end?
To do that properly requires expertise and special equipment to crimp the connectors properly. Anything less is a hack job I wouldn't trust to work safely. I third the CAN recommendation.

No 70 AMP options for the Roadster Tony?

For portable public charging, no. There's really no convenient over 50 amp public place to plug in except RV park "50 amp" service, where you can pull 40 amps continuous (80% of the 50 amp circuit).

For home charging, of course, just get a Clipper Creek CS100 (80 amp J1772) and use the CAN-J1772 to Roadster adaptor. Make sure you have the firmware update to accept an 80 amp pilot signal without a fault.

I took a roadster charging cable and disassembled it down to the bare minimum using info here on TMC. I purchased an inlet J1772 connector rated at 75A that had a 1 ft tail on it. Spliced the two together using crimps rated for the full 80 amps. Mounted the J1772 inlet (had to trim a notch in the roadster above the existing hole) in place of the original inlet. I should have mounted the inlet at a slight angle. Some handles have a hard time clearing the body. I then just plugged the stripped down charger end into the now unmounted Roadster inlet and tucked it down below the trunk shock. This lets Service still access the existing battery inlet and I can restore the car to stock in the future if necessary.
2013-06-25_13-49-50_HDR.jpg