TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

roadster key fob reinforcement

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Carl W, May 14, 2019.

1. Carl W

Carl W 2008, #311 thunder gray 1.5

The key fob body for my 2008 1.5 cracked and gluing it back together didn't work. My ignition takes a bit more torque to twist than usual, and so I needed to either replace my key or to reinforce it. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem or not, but just in case, here's what I did. I designed a reinforcement (Solid Works) and ran a model case on my rapid prototype machine and now my key is solid again. Couldn't help but sketch the original logo into the back of it and wipe a little paint into the recessed logo. Also, inside the screw that held the key itself to the plastic body stripped, so I put in a bigger screw. Perhaps this solution ends up being overly crude, but if anyone else has a cracked roadster key fob and wants one of these reinforcement bodies, I'd be glad to run one for you and send it to you (free), assuming it's fairly small quantities. Or, I'm glad to send you an STL file if you have your own 3D printer, but it's not allowed to attached this file type on this forum for some reason.

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
  2. pwwojcik

pwwojcik Member

Great job -- that looks like a great solution for the problem.

3. Iowa2

Iowa2 Member

Wow, I have been trying to figure out how to repair my cases as well. Couldn't get anything other than a replacement key for ~$300. Couldn't believe they wouldn't sell just the plastic case.

How do I get one (or two since I have two keys in the same boat)? I am not sure what the rules are for sharing contact info as I am not a big forum user.

• Like x 1
  4. Carl W

I'll make you a pair. There's a way to direct message each other, so I'll try to do that to share contact info.

• Like x 2
  5. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

should share the stl file as ZIP (or just remove the extension), as I like to make a print of it.

6. Carl W

Here you go. I used Winzip to zip the STL file. If you have trouble, let me know.

Attached Files:

7. Carl W

Iowa2, sent out two fobs to you today by USPS.