Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

roadster key fob reinforcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Carl W

2008, #311 thunder gray 1.5
Oct 18, 2016
laguna beach, ca
The key fob body for my 2008 1.5 cracked and gluing it back together didn't work. My ignition takes a bit more torque to twist than usual, and so I needed to either replace my key or to reinforce it. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem or not, but just in case, here's what I did. I designed a reinforcement (Solid Works) and ran a model case on my rapid prototype machine and now my key is solid again. Couldn't help but sketch the original logo into the back of it and wipe a little paint into the recessed logo. Also, inside the screw that held the key itself to the plastic body stripped, so I put in a bigger screw. Perhaps this solution ends up being overly crude, but if anyone else has a cracked roadster key fob and wants one of these reinforcement bodies, I'd be glad to run one for you and send it to you (free), assuming it's fairly small quantities. Or, I'm glad to send you an STL file if you have your own 3D printer, but it's not allowed to attached this file type on this forum for some reason.

Attachments

• Roadster key fob picture 1.JPG
    Roadster key fob picture 1.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Roadster key fob picture 2.JPG
    Roadster key fob picture 2.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Roadster key fob picture 3.JPG
    Roadster key fob picture 3.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 81
  • roadster key fob picture 4.JPG
    roadster key fob picture 4.JPG
    261 KB · Views: 96
  • roadster key fob picture 5.JPG
    roadster key fob picture 5.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 89
Wow, I have been trying to figure out how to repair my cases as well. Couldn't get anything other than a replacement key for ~$300. Couldn't believe they wouldn't sell just the plastic case.

How do I get one (or two since I have two keys in the same boat)? I am not sure what the rules are for sharing contact info as I am not a big forum user.

Reactions: ICON
Wow, I have been trying to figure out how to repair my cases as well. Couldn't get anything other than a replacement key for ~$300. Couldn't believe they wouldn't sell just the plastic case.

How do I get one (or two since I have two keys in the same boat)? I am not sure what the rules are for sharing contact info as I am not a big forum user.
I'll make you a pair. There's a way to direct message each other, so I'll try to do that to share contact info.

The key fob body for my 2008 1.5 cracked and gluing it back together didn't work. My ignition takes a bit more torque to twist than usual, and so I needed to either replace my key or to reinforce it. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem or not, but just in case, here's what I did. I designed a reinforcement (Solid Works) and ran a model case on my rapid prototype machine and now my key is solid again. Couldn't help but sketch the original logo into the back of it and wipe a little paint into the recessed logo. Also, inside the screw that held the key itself to the plastic body stripped, so I put in a bigger screw. Perhaps this solution ends up being overly crude, but if anyone else has a cracked roadster key fob and wants one of these reinforcement bodies, I'd be glad to run one for you and send it to you (free), assuming it's fairly small quantities. Or, I'm glad to send you an STL file if you have your own 3D printer, but it's not allowed to attached this file type on this forum for some reason.
should share the stl file as ZIP (or just remove the extension), as I like to make a print of it.

Iowa2, sent out two fobs to you today by USPS.