Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Logs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welcome to the Roadster forum!

There are several log viewing utilities around. Search for VMSParser and Tesla Graphical Log Viewer (TeslaGLOP). Both are Windows apps, but run on Linux under Wine. There's also an app for the Mac, the name of which I can never remember. The Mac one was recently updated; the others have been stable for a number of years.

Welcome to the Roadster forum!

There are several log viewing utilities around. Search for VMSParser and Tesla Graphical Log Viewer (TeslaGLOP). Both are Windows apps, but run on Linux under Wine. There's also an app for the Mac, the name of which I can never remember. The Mac one was recently updated; the others have been stable for a number of years.

Great; many thanks; there is an Australian team preparing a Roadster for next (2018) road racing events against practically every race ready petrol car there is so; preparation and race going data will be very high on the list. ... Again many thanks... Hans

You can get really nice data from the logs after tracking the car.

That said, you'll probably be disappointed in the Roadster on the track. It doesn't have sufficient cooling to run full-on for very long, so it overheats (PEM in 1.5, motor in 2.0+) and cuts back torque, which is about as frustrating as you might imagine. I was driving on a track with an instructor after he'd experienced the car before it overheated (which is wonderful), and when it got hot he asked me "is that all it's got?" My answer was "Yeah, it drives like a 30-year old Fiat now."

there is an Australian team preparing a Roadster for next (2018) road racing events
I hope you can share with us how that team is going to modify their Roadster so that it does not overheat after a lap or two (yes it really can happen that quickly).

The Roadster was not designed for the track. It's a fantastic street car, that is what it was designed to be.

I hope you can share with us how that team is going to modify their Roadster so that it does not overheat after a lap or two (yes it really can happen that quickly).

The Roadster was not designed for the track. It's a fantastic street car, that is what it was designed to be.

Yes thanks to everyone for comments on overeating; as technical and data manger for the team I did point this out at the onset so the team are fully aware; the thinking is to look at several approaches and consider airflow as a primary strategy and some electrical mods. We are lucky in that this is a Targa event so far more controlled acceleration and lots of natural airflow; the track testing will be the harshest to be encountered and only to help get the driver accustomed to and EV. Another real challenge will be charging. Targa events are normally held over controlled roads and distance and only get to around 130 kmph max speeds due to the winding roads. We are using my own Roadster (2.5) as a benchmark and initial data analysis; the competition arrives soon for mods and testing.

Reactions: Mark77a
I do maintain the TeslaGLOP, even though I no longer have the Roadster. That said, I haven't done anything to it in quite a while because it's been very reliable.

If you drive on a race track, after one lap it starts to pull back on the power. After a few laps it's noticeably slower. The motor generally overheats first, and it's air cooled so it's hard to solve that. Parking the car for an hour seems to be the best way to cool it down. The PEM and battery pack can also get hot, of course.

Here's a video of my Roadster on the track - a few fun laps then off to cool down: