Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Consider the number of roadsters that he saved over the years.
That can be a consideration, but there are other service providers, working on the same vehicles that have not had the issues at GMC. And had he not been there, someone would have stepped up. But absolutely destroying over 1% of ALL roadsters does not get offset IMO.

GMC has done some good for roadsters, but 2 fires in <5 years is careless at the minimum, imo.

GMC has done some good for roadsters, but 2 fires in <5 years is careless at the minimum, imo.
Yep, after the first fire they should have made some changes to prevent a mass loss from a battery fire. For example the packs they are working on should be in a separate room, or building, from where they do general repairs or store parts and vehicles.

For example look at what Weber State University has done when they built their shop:

I sent Pete an email yesterday expressing my heartfelt loss to the Roadster Community to him, his family and staff. I told him he will rise from the ashes as he did before. This is still hard to accept this could happen again to a man that is so passionate about Roadsters and bringing them back to life. He will be back!

My car was one of the roadsters lost in this fire as well. I’m at a loss for words right now. RIP number 545.

Attachments

• FD4538B3-1566-4619-BE27-F2D20DBDD517.jpeg
    FD4538B3-1566-4619-BE27-F2D20DBDD517.jpeg
    386.3 KB · Views: 108
I wouldn't bet on that. Most likely the owner's policies themselves will pay out. Their insurance company will then go after Gruber's to try and get paid. I have a $75k agreed value policy w/ Hagerty on my car. This was done several years ago before prices jumped. So for me if my car is lost it's a simply check for $75k and move on.

I wouldn't bet on that. Most likely the owner's policies themselves will pay out. Their insurance company will then go after Gruber's to try and get paid. I have a $75k agreed value policy w/ Hagerty on my car. This was done several years ago before prices jumped. So for me if my car is lost it's a simply check for $75k and move on.
I was asked today to provide my insurance carrier information. My agent said that was quite normal. We shall see how this plays out for the owners like myself that lost their vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: Sonics2020
That can be a consideration, but there are other service providers, working on the same vehicles that have not had the issues at GMC. And had he not been there, someone would have stepped up. But absolutely destroying over 1% of ALL roadsters does not get offset IMO.

I’m surprised there wasn’t a fire suppression system installed. Given the volatility of lithium batteries, that would be a requirement in any shop I was building to service EVs.

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to have a private group of owners that lost their cars. I just talked to Jessica at the claims department and I feel some information should be shared with the group of owners involved.
You can do a group message to about 4-5 folks, might be more successful than trying to get a private group started, especially if the information is timely...I haven't counted how many on here have posted their losses...perhaps a couple group messages if needed.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Does anyone think it would be a good idea to have a private group of owners that lost their cars. I just talked to Jessica at the claims department and I feel some information should be shared with the group of owners involved.
You should definitely figure a way to do a private group. Every valuable to share the info to maximize FMV for ALL owners who lost a roadster. There will be a lot of self serving vultures circulating to take advantage of this tragedy and self promote. Good luck!

I am offering my expertise to each and every one of you who lost cars, free of charge. I have for lack of a better way to put this. (beat up and on insurance companies for years) getting you what you deserve. If you need an expert witness in a lawsuit also free of charge. Just pay for me to get to the courthouse and we are good. [email protected] Food for thought, I have been working on these cars since the original assembly stages. Even at the lotus plant, I would guess we have serviced 300 or more here over the years, probably more. Dozens and dozens have had battery work completed here. No fires. Tesla works on tens of thousands each year - again no fires. Something has to change at that shop if they plan on moving forward.

Last edited: