Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Terrible news for the Roadster community :(. There is no one more passionate about Roadsters than Pete. It’s companies like Gruber that keep passion for Roadsters alive. Hoping he rebuilds even bigger and better.
hate to say it, but no one has destroyed more roadsters than Pete...even if he wasn't personally/legally responsible.

Those with remaining examples need to have a conversation with our respective insurance carriers to reevaluate coverage and agreed value.
First thing that popped into my mind is the fight with insurance everyone will have now. If purchase price was 40k, whats the coverage on the vehicles, and how does the corporate insurance at the location factor into this. Not sure it’s like a house where you can have ‘total replacement value’, and that may be hard to establish on special edition vehicles. It will be on a policy by policy basis.

This is 1% of the roadsters gone overnight.

How many were destroyed in the fire a few years ago?

First thing that popped into my mind is the fight with insurance everyone will have now. If purchase price was 40k, whats the coverage on the vehicles, and how does the corporate insurance at the location factor into this. Not sure it’s like a house where you can have ‘total replacement value’, and that may be hard to establish on special edition vehicles. It will be on a policy by policy basis.

This is 1% of the roadsters gone overnight.

How many were destroyed in the fire a few years ago?
There were 6 Roadsters and a T-Zero prototype (1 of 3 produced) destroyed in 2017…making 30+ that have perished in their shop.

I drove 8 hours round trip to his shop on Thursday to see a Roadster I was interested in. A deal was made with owner and I was about to wire a deposit while waiting for the PEM upgrade. Got an email last night from Pete stating total loss to 20+ roadsters. Sad news and 1 fewer independent shop to take roadsters in for service…at least for the foreseeable future.

The previous fire from 2017:

I read this post when it was first posted by OP but I was too upset to respond.
Took time to cool off so my reply would not start pointing fingers. Sad for both roadster owners and Gruber motor but I’m thankful no one was hurt.

Please help provide our support to both and not start speculating to make the situation worse.

Ok, I‘m going to the garage now to check on my roadster and it’s charging set up.

This is very sad news. I just got #861 back from them a few weeks ago... It gives me the chills to think that I missed this event by a matter of days.

May the insurance gods be kind to the Gruber company as well as all those who lost their Roadsters in this fire. Hopefully Gruber’s site with 18 Roadsters for sale at prices well over $100k will help insurance companies value these cars appropriately.

A nice example recently went for just $80k on BaT, which seemed relatively low, but I imagine the next few Roadster sales will be for more, especially with some 25 or so new buyers potentially jumping back into the market.

Reactions: driver_EV
Just got a call from Peter Gruber. My car was in for PEM service. There was a fire in his building last night and 25 Roadster were destroyed in the fire. Such a tragic loss.
I'm so sorry Jason. I just saw the news over on twitter and came back to TMC (it's been a LONG time since I've been here) to see which of my friends lost cars. Heart breaking.

Just posted by Gruber. Painful to see the damage and hard to watch as a member of the Roadster community... 😞

Hard to see this level of carnage and so sad for everyone’s lost. I’ve never worked with Gruber but it sounds like he did the right thing by contacting each owners directly before releasing this. I think they’re trying to show what happened before the internet can speculate.

@DrComputer, Sorry for your lost. Very sad day.

Reactions: DrComputer