TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster Mobile charger GFCI keeps tripping

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by webzombie, Jan 22, 2014.

1. webzombie

webzombie Member

My 1.5 Roadster mobile charger's built in GFCI keeps tripping to a point that it won't even start charging.... any ideas what I could do? I read in the forum some old posts that talk about a firmware upgrade (my firmware is up-to-date). I have been successfully charging for over a month with this charger.

Thanks in advance.

2. webzombie

webzombie Member

I also found several posts mentioning early roadster owners replacing the GFCI with a Leviton ProGrade Nylon 15A 125V 5-15P plug (No. 5266-C) plug. Appreciate if anyone can share their experience with this. Thanks.

3. congyiwu

congyiwu New Member

I had the same problem, and replaced the plug on my 110V spare cable after seeing those same posts. I don't remember if I used the same plug. I just picked whatever Home Depot had that looked water resistant. I used my fixed cable every day for almost a year with no issues. I stopped using the spare cable after I had a 220V outlet installed (for under $200!).

4. webzombie

webzombie Member

Thank you congyiwu... thats exactly what I wanted feedback on.

5. sethr

sethr CPO Roadster #1089

I would also like to suggest that you check that the grounding in your house is up to the latest standards, especially if it is an older house. My grounding was fine for 1960's standards, and I had similar problems to yours. I had the grounding in my house brought up to current code standards, and solved the problem. Besides, a little extra safety can't hurt, even if changing the plug solves your immediate problem.

6. webzombie

webzombie Member

That's a great suggestion Sethr. Thanks.

My house is only 12 years old so I am hopeful that it is up to the standards.

7. Jackyche

Jackyche Member

My original UMC would make a clicking sound, depending on how you "wiggle" the head on the wall socket. It would turn on/off by itself corresponding to the clicking sound. Not sure if that's the GFCI tripping inside.

Brought it to the service center and they replaced the socket head for me.

8. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

9. webzombie

webzombie Member

Thank you dhrivnak... thats a better option than the non-GFCI Leviton plug.

Jackyche, I called the service center and they happened to have an original replacement plug in stock - so they asked me to bring in the cable.

Thanks everyone for the help. This forum is great....

10. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

You should have told me. I would have given you mine for free!

11. webzombie

webzombie Member

Thank you Mr Sharp - very nice of you. The dealership changed mine as a goodwill.