Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster - new options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
> also had the "cabin area HVAC tube upgrade installed. [jory]

I've discovered that only the passenger's feet get the blast of heated air so if there is cargo in this area little gets to the driver's feet. [My first Roadster winter].
Seems a plastic flex hose is indicated, which could be curved above cargo & then down to driver's feet. With duct tape & sheet rock screws as needed.
--

today i retrieved my car after the installation of the "stage 2 interior sound kit" on my 2.0 roadster (i had previously had the "stage 1 interior sound kit" installed.)

first thing to note is that the stage 2 interior sound kit was over $3K (~$1600 for the parts and $1400 for the labor)

For the items that are not really "end user installed" I do wish they would actually list the "installed" pricing. I would rather think of the sound upgrade as $3K rather than $1600.

For the items that are not really "end user installed" I do wish they would actually list the "installed" pricing. I would rather think of the sound upgrade as $3K rather than $1600.

It seems odd that they would have two different conventions for pricing things without making it obvious what you get. The HID headlights for example were $2,250 installed (initial price). For that reason I just assumed the $1,600 included installation.

It seems odd that they would have two different conventions for pricing things without making it obvious what you get. The HID headlights for example were $2,250 installed (initial price). For that reason I just assumed the $1,600 included installation.

i had assumed the $1600 was the installed price but failed to verify that so couldn't really complain.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the report.

Do you hear phone conversations or the radio better?

5 to 10 dB is a big range.

i did feel the radio was easier to hear and i was lowering the volume a bit. historically, i don't even try to have phone conversations in the roadster. maybe i'll see if it is more plausible now.

Thanks for the info, I've dropped of my car to get the same thing done. I have a white car so we'll see how clean my door sills will be afterwards.

today i retrieved my car after the installation of the "stage 2 interior sound kit" on my 2.0 roadster (i had previously had the "stage 1 interior sound kit" installed.)

i also had the "cabin area HVAC tube upgrade installed.

first thing to note is that the stage 2 interior sound kit was over $3K (~$1600 for the parts and $1400 for the labor)

the HVAC upgrade was $100 for the part and $175 installation.

-------

the results of the stage 2 sound kit are both subtle and appreciated. i think the main changes i noticed in a couple of hours of city and highway driving was a reduction in ambient noise (especially engine whine) and also the door closing sounds feels/sounds very different -- more like a mercedes than a kit car. i'll be curious to see if conversation with a passenger is less effortful.

i did not notice much of a reduction in road noise (from bumps and such.)

the service manager at tesla menlo park mentioned that someone at tesla had measured 5dB-10dB overall noise reduction.

overall, i am (as someone minorly obsessed with making my roadster quieter) pleased to have had it installed but it admittedly does not make the same type of dramatic difference that the "stage 1 kit" made when i had that installed or even the adjustable suspension (set on softest setting) + tires in comfort mode.

given the moderate SF weather, i did not test the HVAC upgrade but it seemed like a nice to have for those few chilly night drives.

i also had the "cabin area HVAC tube upgrade installed.

the HVAC upgrade was $100 for the part and $175 installation.

-------

the results of the stage 2 sound kit are both subtle and appreciated. i think the main changes i noticed in a couple of hours of city and highway driving was a reduction in ambient noise (especially engine whine) and also the door closing sounds feels/sounds very different -- more like a mercedes than a kit car. i'll be curious to see if conversation with a passenger is less effortful.

i did not notice much of a reduction in road noise (from bumps and such.)

the service manager at tesla menlo park mentioned that someone at tesla had measured 5dB-10dB overall noise reduction.

overall, i am (as someone minorly obsessed with making my roadster quieter) pleased to have had it installed but it admittedly does not make the same type of dramatic difference that the "stage 1 kit" made when i had that installed or even the adjustable suspension (set on softest setting) + tires in comfort mode.

given the moderate SF weather, i did not test the HVAC upgrade but it seemed like a nice to have for those few chilly night drives.

Excuse me. What is the cabin area HVAC tube?

Excuse me. What is the cabin area HVAC tube?

It directs warm/cool air into the driver foot well.

Drive_Side_Footwell_grande.jpg

Driver Side Footwell Heating/Cooling Tesla Motors

i got this solution already installed last year by my tesla ranger in munic. it works fine, but I recommend to close the passengers outlet to direct all heat to the driver. But best solution is still my seat heating cover being places in the cars floor.

i got this solution already installed last year by my tesla ranger in munic. it works fine, but I recommend to close the passengers outlet to direct all heat to the driver. But best solution is still my seat heating cover being places in the cars floor.

Eberhard, You took the seat heater from the passenger seat and put it on the floor of the driver's seat? Can you elaborate?

Thanks Augkuo, Looks like a fitted version of mine.

One difference is the back of the door. Tesla has a shrot perpendicular piece where mine continues from the bottom and goes all the way up to the top of the back edge of the door (by the door switch)

Since mine has not done as well as I would like, this may be the better option. When you post a successful rain/gravel test I will ask my Service center pretty please to just get it alone.

Yeah, I would definitely succumb to this if I drove it in the winter. With the Model S on its way (it is, right???) I don't expect I'll be driving the Roadster in bad weather as much as I do now. So I probably won't bother with this mod. I'd rather put the money towards a performance upgrade, such as upgraded brakes.

Here are pictures of the new door seals, when it starts raining again I'll take a before and
after picture to see how dirty it gets.

Here are pictures with the door seals before any driving, after a week of driving in the dry and after today's downpour (driver's and passenger side). Normally after
driving in the rain, my door sills are completely black so this is a definite improvement.

clean sill.JPG
dirty sill.JPG
IMG_1051.JPG
IMG_1052.JPG