TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster - new options

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by bonnie, Mar 18, 2012.

1. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

> also had the "cabin area HVAC tube upgrade installed. [jory]

I've discovered that only the passenger's feet get the blast of heated air so if there is cargo in this area little gets to the driver's feet. [My first Roadster winter].
    Seems a plastic flex hose is indicated, which could be curved above cargo & then down to driver's feet. With duct tape & sheet rock screws as needed.
    --

2. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Roadster 1305

For the items that are not really "end user installed" I do wish they would actually list the "installed" pricing. I would rather think of the sound upgrade as $3K rather than $1600.

3. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

It seems odd that they would have two different conventions for pricing things without making it obvious what you get. The HID headlights for example were $2,250 installed (initial price). For that reason I just assumed the $1,600 included installation.

4. jory

jory Member

i had assumed the $1600 was the installed price but failed to verify that so couldn't really complain.

- - - Updated - - -

i did feel the radio was easier to hear and i was lowering the volume a bit. historically, i don't even try to have phone conversations in the roadster. maybe i'll see if it is more plausible now.

5. augkuo

augkuo Member

Thanks for the info, I've dropped of my car to get the same thing done. I have a white car so we'll see how clean my door sills will be afterwards.

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

My door seals have not done well in the last rain.

sigh

Aug can you document with lots of pics yours when done?

7. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Excuse me. What is the cabin area HVAC tube?

8. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

9. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

i got this solution already installed last year by my tesla ranger in munic. it works fine, but I recommend to close the passengers outlet to direct all heat to the driver. But best solution is still my seat heating cover being places in the cars floor.

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Eberhard, You took the seat heater from the passenger seat and put it on the floor of the driver's seat? Can you elaborate?

11. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

i guess a heated blancket could do the trick too ;-)

12. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

I'd need the English/Japanese version to direct the warm air to my wife as passenger.

13. strider

strider Active Member

Then just leave it alone. It already directs most of the heat to the person sitting in the "right" seat. Tesla's "fix" simply ducts more of the heat from "right" to "left". It doesn't add any more heat.

14. augkuo

augkuo Member

Here are pictures of the new door seals, when it starts raining again I'll take a before and
    after picture to see how dirty it gets.

door5.jpg door4.jpg door3.jpg door2.jpg door1.jpg

15. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Thanks Augkuo, Looks like a fitted version of mine.

One difference is the back of the door. Tesla has a shrot perpendicular piece where mine continues from the bottom and goes all the way up to the top of the back edge of the door (by the door switch)

Since mine has not done as well as I would like, this may be the better option. When you post a successful rain/gravel test I will ask my Service center pretty please to just get it alone.

16. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I've already asked and the answer was "no". Which I interpret to mean that they want to charge $4,000 for this.

17. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

As I drive my Roadster all year round, I've already succumbed...All I really wanted was the door sill fix (as well)...at least this fix will keep the slush & grit off of my trousers...

18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yeah, I would definitely succumb to this if I drove it in the winter. With the Model S on its way (it is, right???) I don't expect I'll be driving the Roadster in bad weather as much as I do now. So I probably won't bother with this mod. I'd rather put the money towards a performance upgrade, such as upgraded brakes.

19. augkuo

augkuo Member

Here are pictures with the door seals before any driving, after a week of driving in the dry and after today's downpour (driver's and passenger side). Normally after
    driving in the rain, my door sills are completely black so this is a definite improvement.

clean sill.JPG dirty sill.JPG IMG_1051.JPG IMG_1052.JPG

20. ffylling

ffylling Member

Have you made those yourself, or is it from Tesla? I have a white roadster that i use all season. I need this! Where to buy? THANKS!