Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster - new options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a hardtop from Tesla and that included the door seals in the install. That's for my 2.5. My hardtop was not the carbon fiber, just a painted one. Wasn't even listed as an option, Jake at Menlo Park service offered it when I asked about the carbon fiber top and that was back ordered. You might just ask about the seals on their own.

So although I wasn't planning on it I'll be getting the sound kit upgrade next week.

You see, I managed to dump a 16oz latte in front of the passenger seat. I wish I could blame the cupholder but it was completely my fault. I mopped up what I could and even attacked it with some enzyme cleaner stuff we have for pet stains (including unbolting the passenger seat and cleaning underneath it) but to no avail - my car now smells like rancid milk. So since I was looking at having the carpet replaced and paying labor to have the interior R&R'd I figured I'd have them do the sound kit upgrade while they're at it.

I'd like to buy just the door seals too Tesla!

My DIY version was less than successful.

I tried a DIY as well and a month into the pilot they seem to be working. It is not for the everyone as you have to drill 4 holes in the underside of the door. While this is what Tesla did on their seals I hated to drill hols in a $100,000 car. I tried 3M double stick tape and that did not work so I have both tape and 4 screws per strip.

SoffSeal Weatherstripping & Rubber Details

I tried a DIY as well and a month into the pilot they seem to be working. It is not for the everyone as you have to drill 4 holes in the underside of the door. While this is what Tesla did on their seals I hated to drill hols in a $100,000 car. I tried 3M double stick tape and that did not work so I have both tape and 4 screws per strip.

SoffSeal Weatherstripping & Rubber Details

Can you document your process on the door seal thread?

Can you document your process on the door seal thread?

Get at least 6' of the SoffSeal SoffSeal Weatherstripping & Rubber Details
. I used it upside down from the profile picture. This may not be the best option but it seemed to work with me. I also used 6' of 3M 1/2" wide double stick tape. I used 3' on each door and started by cutting the Soft seal to length and if you notice there is a bulge about midway in the door that is about 2" long. I cut down the Softseal to better fit around this. Try a dry fit from the outside with the door closed. The short end seems to fit inside the gap and the larger side facing outside. Clean the door underside and make sure it is dry. You can see some of the light grey 3M tape above the softseal. This shot is from the outside underneath the door.
Door_Sealing_11.JPG

Then I added the double stick tape to the softseal. You may want clean the top side of the soft seal with acetone so the tape sticks better. Then from the outside with the door closed carefully attach the softseal/tape. The tape will hold it for a while. Then I carefully drilled 4 1/8" holes through the softseal into the door. One on each end and one on either side of the bump in the middle of the door. I then put some small sheet metal screws about 3/4" long to secure. If you look at the softseal I selected there is a crease where I drilled through the softseal into the door for the screws
Door_Sealing_05.JPG

I do not have the exact size as I have a large assortment of screws and matched the screw to the drill bit size.

Last edited:
Any update on additional options or the extended warranty? Has Tesla forgotten about the Roadster faithful? I have seen Mr. Blankenship chime in on Model S threads. Is there any chance that he will let Roadster owners know what Tesla's plans are?

Last edited:
I suspect that some of those intent on doing Roadster upgrades may have been sidetracked helping deal with initial Model S ramp up issues.

Hopefully all of the upgrade rumors come true eventually.