Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster - new options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see they're offering tire and wheel sets. Does anyone know who makes those winter tires?

Doing my usual bleary eyed google image searching, I think they are Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero Serie II

The Tesla picture:
Winter Wheel and Tire Set (Tires) Tesla Motors
winter_tire_large.jpg

Likely match:
5058781111_3ed1801316_z.jpg

• The Model S iPhone app for monitoring car information will be available to Roadster owners sometime this summer. I saw it running on Joost's phone, they're testing now. If you will have more than one Tesla vehicle in your garage, you should be able to monitor all with one app.
  • Brakes. There will be a brake system upgrade available.
  • Stockpiling of parts. Joost has been buying up many of the salvage Roadsters & also has new parts 'enough for 15 years or so'.
  • Extended Warranty to be offered to current owners who didn't purchase.
  • Certified Used Roadster program -this will allow new buyers of Roadsters to also get a warranty for their used Roadster.
  • There should be some news on battery replacement options soon.

Did he give any hints on timing? Many people locking in their Model S orders are going to have to make decisions on keeping or selling their Roadsters soon. Owners are more likely to hold on to their Roadsters if these things are available. Potential owners are more likely to buy if they are available. Values on used Roadsters will increase, which makes the brand look better.

Chad brings up some good points about the increased Roadster value though I would ask if it matters to Tesla who owns a car. Not like they would know who would buy more accessories.

Potential owners are more likely to buy if they are available. Values on used Roadsters will increase, which makes the brand look better.

Asked about the app at Fashion Island. Tesla had raves about Joost (from Volvo trucks) and his vision for maximizing Tesla's products. No answer on when the app would be available. It was agreed (but not confirmed) that the 1.5s should be covered and of course they would need additional hardware in the car.

I met a Tesla employee today (service at home) who had just been charged by Joost with developing more upgrades for Roadster. Pretty positive. He is enthusiastic and they are clearly not abandoning their Roadster customers.

The negative in the conversation is that while they are keeping the mandatory 10 year stock of parts after last vehicle sale (very soon here in the UK), they are pushing parts prices up by 2 to 4 times. This has essentially already happened. Apparently it's what other companies do (he cited McLaren). I thought Tesla didn't want to be like all the other car companies...

So we may have some great upgrade opportunities ahead, but routine maintenance could also be a lot more expensive. Wins and losses. But I do love the car!

I hope they offer the extended warranty again in Europe. A few months after I bought the car I asked and was told it was withdrawn from sale. Maybe it's now back. I hope.

Did he give any hints on timing? Many people locking in their Model S orders are going to have to make decisions on keeping or selling their Roadsters soon. Owners are more likely to hold on to their Roadsters if these things are available. Potential owners are more likely to buy if they are available. Values on used Roadsters will increase, which makes the brand look better.

My understanding is that the app should be out this summer - and I believe that the brake upgrade is being tested right now. I wish I knew more. I'd like the app, the brakes, the extended warranty.

Asked about the app at Fashion Island. Tesla had raves about Joost (from Volvo trucks) and his vision for maximizing Tesla's products. No answer on when the app would be available. It was agreed (but not confirmed) that the 1.5s should be covered and of course they would need additional hardware in the car.

I really liked Joost. He clearly has the experience for the job. I came away from the conversation with increased confidence in Tesla's future.

Can't do that; the battery pack and supporting systems just aren't built to take it.

I'm already trying to figure out how to afford all the currently available upgrades I want.

- I really want replacement rotors that don't suffer from rust and the resulting rust stick. I'd also want replacement rotors that were made of a black or gunmetal colored material to go with the wheels, but I know that's highly unlikely.

- I want CF replacements for the tail light surrounds. It's the one place where the plastic sticks out annoyingly.

- Yup, I want a socket replacement. I have no idea what I'd do with the way-too-much I have invested in Tesla machined plugs (burnish them up as bookends or paperweights?) at ~$650/pop (est), but screw it.

- I really want yellow blinkers in back.

Yes ......yellow rear blinkers ........ Would be a nice option. tried to get some guys in UK to send me some but TM in CA send me a well crafted letter about codes and the power of USA specs.... Then suggested I stop bugging people overseas..... Sorry

CF tail light surrounds would be very nice.

Can we get an upgrade to the rearview mirror (micro mirror with day/night switch)? If anyone knows how to relay this to Joost, that would be great. Should be a simple upgrade.

+1.

I put in a micromirror and personally consider it essential for safety, especially front-right visibility at four-way stop signs. But I had to put window tint on it, so I wouldn't be totally blinded at night. (Mind you with the HIDs this is probably not as bad a situation as it was.)

That and a more visible speedometer are the only two minor issues I still have with the Roadster.

+1 big-time.

Yes ......yellow rear blinkers ........ Would be a nice option.

Is what you want to do to replace the red side-lights in the back with orange blinkers (having the same look as the red side-light except for the color)? I have been thinking about doing that, but not done it yet.

This might work: Order an extra set of the US front orange front side-lights and replace the red side-lights with those. Then to those, disconnect the current cable and instead connect the blinker-signal cable.

I think Tesla has more-or-less stated that the Roadster charging system and battery pack don't have provisions for fast charging.
At least they can do 17kW charging which is better than many EVs.

I had a good talk with the new VP of Worldwide Service, Joost de Vries. <...snip...>
The really important news for me in this is that they're going to make it a serious point to take care of us Roadster owners as we fade into the tiny minority of Tesla owners.

I have no use of the iPhone app. I charge exclusively at night at home.

I have no complaint about the brakes, but they are a safety issue so I would buy an upgrade if available.

Mixed feelings on the extended warranty. I decided against it because extended warranties are usually a poor value. But when and if it is offered, I'd revisit the issue and read what everyone on here has to say about it.

I'm not worried about the pack. At 3/4 of its present range I'd never run it down, and at half its present range it would serve me for all but the occasional long joyride out in the country. But that's just me. I don't do road trips in it and I'd be surprised if I'm still driving it in a decade.

...now if they could certify some aftermarket nav head units (which will not void the warranty) so that we can replace the horrible Alpine unit, I would be in heaven!
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!