Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster - new options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like its a new PEM for me... Glad I'm still under warranty, hope they release the extended warranty we've heard rumors about.

The liquid cooled motor I heard about was also primarily designed for tracking the car, as Doug pointed out it just takes a few laps to over heat the motor when racing. Just adding liquid cooling to the motor alone will not solve the problem they would have to improve the cooling system as the battery overheats at the track as well, so the cooling system is already saturated with heat. I have a feeling we'll hear about many of these upgrades Monday night when they unveil the Supercharger network.

I have to say just how much I loves Tesla's service, its actually a pleasure to bring the car in and talk to the service team.

A liquid-cooled PEM sounds like a good idea because it would eliminate the intrusion of dust, which is a big maintenance item: They remove the PEM and blow the dust out. But presumably they could not modify the PEM. They'd have to put in a new one. Pulling numbers out of my butt, if it was $10K for a new motor and another $10K for a new PEM, I doubt I'd go for it. But I don't race. The Roadster is my daily driver basic transportation. Overheating is just not an issue for me.

I quite often hit the power limit due to the motor temperature but never from the PEM. OK you have to drive very hard on the road to do this, but its a sports car after all.

Of course it might be different in hotter parts of the world. I would be very interested in a motor upgrade but if the only change was to the cooling then I would probably give it a miss. It would be essential for track use, but as I say you have to try really hard on the road to get it to overheat.

100+ extra horsepower from a model S style motor would be awsome if the existing PEM and battery pack can cope. A new motor, PEM and ESS start sounding rather expensive!

I spoke with a Tesla report about this a few months ago...I'm reasonably certain that I was told that the Model S motor was more powerful than the Roadster and was physically smaller as well...

Good to know. It's tough to tell when just looking at pictures. That makes the likelihood of a Model S motor in a Roadster probably go up.

I thought the rotor of Model S motor was bigger than rotor of Roadster motor.
But if you add the air cooling fins and shroud around the Roadster motor then maybe the total diameter could be bigger since the Model S has a smaller (liquid) cooling jacket.

I spoke with a Tesla report about this a few months ago...I'm reasonably certain that I was told that the Model S motor was more powerful than the Roadster and was physically smaller as well...

If you look at the two motors side by side, the S motor is bigger including the water jacket. The Denver store had both motors on display for a while.

I can understand those who want their Roadster to go farther, accelerate quicker, and stay cooler for maximum performance longer. But I bought mine for being electric, not for being a sports car, and while I enjoy the performance, the added cost of the sport model would not have been worth it to me, and by the same token an upgraded motor/PEM/batteries would also not be worth it. And for me it's not a road trip car. For driving more than a couple of hours I want a more comfortable car.

So the only upgrades I'm interested in would be improved safety. And if they do offer the extended warranty again, I'll consider it. I'll be interested to see who gets it and who does not of the members whose opinions I respect most. (No, I'm not going to name names.)

Chalk me up as being in on any safety upgrades (eg, I got the new headlights). Also I would consider some improved "comforts" such as even better soundproofing (my Roadster is a 2.5, and I would still like it quieter). But the thing I want most is longer ranger and supercharger capability. I got this as both an electric car and a sports car, though I can count the number of times I have had it in performance mode on 1 hand. But is was also meant to be my main car and perhaps my only one—so I would love to be able to drive from Burlington to NYC or to southern VT and back and not have to worry about charging or staying overnight to charge. So if they offer some sort of swap of the PEM that shoehorns the Model S system into my Roadster, i would very likely try to find a way to afford it.

Chalk me up as being in on any safety upgrades (eg, I got the new headlights). Also I would consider some improved "comforts" such as even better soundproofing (my Roadster is a 2.5, and I would still like it quieter). But the thing I want most is longer ranger and supercharger capability. I got this as both an electric car and a sports car, though I can count the number of times I have had it in performance mode on 1 hand. But is was also meant to be my main car and perhaps my only one—so I would love to be able to drive from Burlington to NYC or to southern VT and back and not have to worry about charging or staying overnight to charge. So if they offer some sort of swap of the PEM that shoehorns the Model S system into my Roadster, i would very likely try to find a way to afford it.

+1

I guess the last few posts show the different types of owner / reasons for buying. My wishlist is

1. Better brakes (before upgrading anything else)
2. Faster acceleration - the existing acceleration makes pretty much every other car on the road redundant as a purchase for me, but you can never have too much of a good thing!
3. Better handling, ideally through less weight / better weight distribution (use more modern cells to make a lighter ESS with the same range).

I can fully understand those who want more range, more comfort etc but if I felt that way I would be looking to trade in for a Model S. Actually must be honest - hoping to have the best of both worlds if I can persuade my wife to swap her Volvo for a Model S when they launch in the UK.

PS Already upgraded the headlights, otherwise that would be #1 on the list.