Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster - new options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this seems like a crazy rumor to me. But when I was getting my annual service the tech mention new wheels would also be an option.
But the kicker was he said they would be carbon fiber!

I told him, I doubted that as the only manufacturer of CF rims went out of business. The last set you could get was from HRE with the CF barrel and aluminum center.

this seems like a crazy rumor to me. But when I was getting my annual service the tech mention new wheels would also be an option.
But the kicker was he said they would be carbon fiber!

Maybe he just meant a carbon like paint finish... Very glossy titanium/gray, not actual carbon fiber...?

Word from Tesla [on the availability of an extended warranty] is "two weeks". Though some states are in question.

I just asked my service advisor (in Seattle) about this...and was told he will have printed materials and can talk to me about it on Monday when I am in getting my Model S tires changed to the winter set.

He said most people will have 30 days from when their warranty expires. Though I am sure they will make exceptions for people whose warranties have already expired. He also said mine expired 3 years after my car was built, rather than 3 years after it was delivered. Hmm. Well, no big deal, I should be able to make a decision in time.

I just asked my service advisor (in Seattle) about this...and was told he will have printed materials and can talk to me about it on Monday when I am in getting my Model S tires changed to the winter set.

He said most people will have 30 days from when their warranty expires. Though I am sure they will make exceptions for people whose warranties have already expired. He also said mine expired 3 years after my car was built, rather than 3 years after it was delivered. Hmm. Well, no big deal, I should be able to make a decision in time.

I think he's wrong on the expiration 3 yrs after build date. The service mgr for my region said it was from when you took delivery. I asked b/c I wasn't sure when to do the first annual service.

- - - Updated - - -

i'll be curious to see. i just scheduled my "stage 2 sound kit" install (along with the foot vent thingy) for october 22nd -- i am excited. :)

Be sure and give us a report on how much difference it makes (stage 2 sound). I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it too.

I would love to know if the stage 2 sound kit makes any difference too. I've never had problems with the Road noise in the 2.5 but probably because at highway speeds, the wind noise even with a hard top is so loud it drowns the road noise out.

I'm definitely getting the sound kit - it will help with both sound and temperature regulation. I was told that there is a significant reduction in decibels, even for the 2.5s.

... and I should hurry up and do it before Tesla rolls out too many more optional upgrades. I keep thinking, 'I need that one!'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up adding the equavalent of stage 2 sound reduction. Now I know why the ranger said my 1.5 is the quietest Roadster he has driven. When I got the sound reduction kit the Roadster was stripped apart. So before reassembly I purchased 4 Dynamat kits and carefully covered the passinger tub and then inside of the doors. Then we added the sound reduction on top of the Dynamat. But still with the wind noise the Roadster is still not a quiet car.

Dynamat is a sound reduction pad. It is about 1/8" thick and sticks like tape, and is supposed to absorb noise. I measured about a 6 db reduction in noise. I believe a 3 db increase is considered twice as loud.

Last edited:
My understanding (and I saw a working beta version) is that the app for the S will be able to interact with the Roadster, also (if you have the hardware installed). It was supposed to be released this last summer, but clearly something has held it up. Hard to wait when you don't know how long you'll need to wait ...

My understanding (and I saw a working beta version) is that the app for the S will be able to interact with the Roadster, also (if you have the hardware installed). It was supposed to be released this last summer, but clearly something has held it up. Hard to wait when you don't know how long you'll need to wait ...

See my post above. Don't hold your breath.