Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster on destination charging doesn't work outside of North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you look at the installation manual for the European HPWC on page 21 they also talk about the same switch but state that DIP Switch Position 2 should always be in the up position.

However the domestic HPWC is stated as being compatible with all Type 2 plug cars at Home charging installation

We recommend to install a Tesla Wall Connector at home as this is the most convenient way to charge. Tesla Wall Connector has a dedicated cable which plugs directly into your car and is available in two different cable lengths: 2.5 and 7.5 metre. Other cars with a Type 2 inlet can also charge on this unit.

The SC confirmed to me that the destination charger and the domestic HPWC are one and the same. Therefore it seems to me that the manual is incorrect in saying DIP 2 should always be up - it should be set to legacy if you want other makes of car to charge on it as per @markwj's table above.

As far as I know all cars compliant with the J1772 signalling can track a varying current pilot signal.

If you look at the installation manual for the European HPWC on page 21 they also talk about the same switch but state that DIP Switch Position 2 should always be in the up position.

However the domestic HPWC is stated as being compatible with all Type 2 plug cars at Home charging installation

The SC confirmed to me that the destination charger and the domestic HPWC are one and the same. Therefore it seems to me that the manual is incorrect in saying DIP 2 should always be up - it should be set to legacy if you want other makes of car to charge on it as per @markwj's table above.

As far as I know all cars compliant with the J1772 signalling can track a varying current pilot signal.
The SC is wrong. I confirmed that.

I don't know why your Ampera didn't start charging. It may have always had a compatibility issue but you never noticed it because the pilot probably didn't start with serial comms like the new HPWCs do (in non-legacy mode). Serial comms are part of the newest J1772 standard but may look like a faulty pilot signal to a car that isn't prepared for it. Tesla is one of the first companies to start using that feature of J1772.

• Informative
Reactions: markwj
The SC is wrong. I confirmed that.

I think we could be talking at cross purposes here - it is possible the European HPWCs are different.

I took delivery of one yesterday and wired it up today. I have just added a Renault Zoe to the fleet and wanted a tethered wall charger for it and the Tesla HPWC is the best value, especially considering its ability to do master and slave comms.

So I set it up temporarily to make sure it worked before I started drilling holes in walls etc.

Firstly I tried to charge with DIP switch 2 in the up (normal) position. Initially the Zoe's charging light showed red (bad pilot) but after about 20 seconds I heard the HPWC click and reset, then the car started charging.

Next I turned off the power and set DIP switch 2 to the down (legacy) position. This time the car started charging immediately.

So I got the Ampera and tried it with DIP 2 on legacy. I daisy-chained the Type 1 to Type 2 cable on the end of the HPWC cable again and this time the Ampera charged immediately.

Finally I turned the power off and set DIP 2 back to up / normal. Now the Ampera refused to charge, displaying the same behaviour as it did at the hotel 2 weeks ago. There was no attempt by the HPWC to reset to the other method like it did with the Zoe.

So the end result is that I set the DIP to legacy mode when I installed the unit on the wall, knowing there would be no issues with whatever I plugged into it. It seems like this is the reason I couldn't charge at the hotel and I will be packing the Torx bits when I need to rely on a Tesla Destination charger from now on.

I also would like to get two more HPWCs so that I can use the master / slave feature to share my 32 A garage circuit safely across the 3 cars. So far it seems I can be sure of charging the cars ok and swapping the cable to a Type 1 (J1772) for the Ampera would be easy. The only remaining unknown is if they will track the changing pilot signal, but as I said above that is a feature that has been in the signally for as long as I can remember.

20170611_100956.jpg
20170611_101433.jpg
20170611_101438.jpg
20170611_111718.jpg
20170611_111732.jpg
20170611_114937.jpg
20170611_115007.jpg
20170611_161621.jpg

20170611_121724sm.jpg

20170611_115341sm.jpg

View attachment 230876

Last edited:
The problem with your Ampera is it doesn't recognize or respond properly to the serial comms on the pilot wire. It just faults and stays that way even though the charger reverts to a normal pilot. The Zoe by contrast sees a bad pilot and throws a fault but re-tries after the Wall Charger has reverted to legacy mode. Personally I would say the problem is with the Ampera because the possibility for serial comms over the pilot wire has been in the J1772 standard for several years now, and presumably the same is true for Type 1 in Europe.

I don't know if power sharing will work when the dip switch is set to legacy mode. Does it say in the HPWC manual? If you bring your screw driver to Destinations be careful you don't switch out of power sharing mode when the HPWC is on the same circuit with another one.

In any case this is way off topic because it has little, if anything to do with how a Roadster works on Destination charging in Europe.

I don't know if power sharing will work when the dip switch is set to legacy mode.

It does - another nearby owner on the UK Facebook group has 2 HPWCs on a master-slave set-up which he uses to charge a Model S and an Audi A3 e-tron. After switching the Audi unit's DIP switch to legacy mode he tested it and watched the Model S creep back towards 32A from 16A once the Audi was full. It seems to increase in 2A steps.

Now that I have my Roadster back I will test our HPWC on both DIP switch settings and I am hoping to get over to his to test it on the master-slave set-up. Remember this thread started when my Roadster wouldn't charge on a destination HPWC so it will be interesting to see how it behaves on our home unit in both modes.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
IMG_6721.JPG
By the way, I guess these 4 wires are for the 2 low voltage lines to the car (pilot / car present) and 2 lines to the thermistor in the Tesla plug.

Does anyone know which is which before I did out my multimeter?

View attachment 230938

Purple - Pilot - 12 VDC standby, 9 VDC ready, 6 VDC charging

Blue - 3.3 VDC to power the transmitter in the plug

Yellow (I can't remember where that is) - proximity

The other two should be black and white - temperature in plug

I did a bit more investigation over the weekend.

I was lucky enough to borrow another HPWC from a Model X owner while he moves house. I wired a 32 Amp blue "commando" plug onto it so that I could connect it to the outlet that I normally charge the Roadster from.

Firstly I checked that the new HPWC could charge the Roadster. With the DIP 2 in up (normal) mode, the Roadster paused for around 20 seconds before recognising the pilot signal and starting to charge, as others have reported. I did not see any HCS warnings like reported in the original post, but perhaps this is down to new 3.0 firmware. With DIP 2 in down (legacy) the car charged right away.

Next I tried all of the combinations of cars (Ampera - Roadster, Ampera - Zoe, Zoe - Roadster) on the 2 units. Everything worked except the Zoe - Roadster combination where the Roadster was the second one to start charging. At the point the ESS contactors closed, the RCD (GFCI in American parlance) in the distribution board upstream tripped out. This was repeatable. The Zoe is *very* susceptible to ground faults and deliberately trips the RCD when it detects one in the supply. I suspect it was detecting an isolation fault in the Roadster (more on this later*).

Next I connected the 2 units together in master-slave mode using the only thing I had to hand which was doorbell wire (I twisted it using a drill). Initially I set my HPWC to slave and the borrowed one to master, however on power up the one that should have been slave insisted on becoming a master too. This happened 3 times. They obviously knew about each other because when I tried to charge 2 cars they faulted with the code for 2 masters in the network.

I suspected maybe the wire wasn't good enough but just to be sure I swapped the order of master and slave. This time they powered up with the correct display of lights. I then got down to business testing the cars and observing the load sharing behaviour. It should be noted that DIP 2 was in the down (legacy) position on both units.

With the network set to 20 Amps max and using the Roadster and Ampera - because I can see the current draw on both cars on OVMS - I can see that the load sharing does indeed work. However I was able to confirm what the other owner above (Model S / Audi) found, namely that with one car plugged in but not charging the system seems to keep 6 Amps available for that other car. So with the Ampera plugged in but not charging the Roadster receives 14 Amps in this case. With both cars charging they get 10 Amps each. Once the Ampera is unplugged, the Roadster climbs back up to 20 Amps.

However I observed two strange events:

1) If both cars are charging and you command the Roadster to stop, either by the VDS or OVMS, the HPWC tries to restart it. First you get an Invalid Pilot Signal warning on the VDS and then after a few seconds that goes away and the car starts charging again. This is a pain, because sometimes you want to just charge a bit (e.g. cooldown charge) and then stop it. After the second time of this I got a new error, DMC FW: HCS Faulted warning, then the car went to white ring mode and I had to disconnect and reconnect the HPWC to the charge port. I was once told that the Roadster doesn't recognise a pilot signal below 7 A, so if the unit is trying to do a soft start from 6 A then perhaps this explains the error. Further work needed here.

Note this behaviour does not happen if you are using a single HPWC. If you command a stop, it stays stopped*.

2) If the Ampera is charging happily and you plug in the Roadster to the slave, the Roadster immediately grabs all the power (20 A) and the Ampera stops, with its master HPWC flashing the code for overcurrent protection. I then switched the Ampera to the other slave HPWC and plugged the Zoe into the master and again the Ampera was stopped while the Zoe took all 20A. I didn't have time to check the Roadster - Zoe combination but will follow up with this. I also want to see if the Ampera starts charging again once the other car is finished.

That was all I managed to test before packing the kit away on Saturday.

*On Sunday we took the car to the beach and back, around 100 miles. I wanted to investigate that auto-restart issue further so when we got back I plugged the borrowed HPWC back in again and set about checking it.

On the first attempt the HPWC faulted at the point of ESS contactor closing with the code for a ground fault. I unplugged the car and plugged back in and this time it worked, and I was able to confirm that after a few minutes of charging the car does indeed stay off when you command a stop and the HPWC is not in a network.

Then I unplugged and plugged back in and once again the HPWC stopped with a ground fault at ESS contactor closure. I again unplugged and plugged back in which cured it.

It is curious that I saw nothing like this during the Saturday testing. Either I was lucky or the drive has moved something which causes the fault. I have been getting 283 errors on the car for a couple of years, which have not been fixed, but this is normally during cold and muggy weather. Yesterday was warm and dry. I need to investigate this further because if I am going to obtain 3 of these units they must be able to reliably charge all the cars.

20170701_133734.jpg
20170701_121352.jpg

Last edited: