Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster on destination charging doesn't work outside of North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you Rafael (TRON) for additional explanation.

Currently there is no way to know, but it's easy to guess based on other facts and circumstances. If it's one of the new Destination chargers (you can tell because it was installed since spring 2016 and the connector docks in the main body of the charger) then it most likely won't work. And like Rafael said, even a new charger will work if not part of the Destination network

Destinations that have the second generation HPWC "Wall Connector" converted to J1772 will work perfectly with all J1772 cars, including the Roadster with your adaptor.

No need to wait for Tesla.

Yeah we figured this was going on but couldn't Tesla update the Roadster firmware to also implement the handshake?
I assume Tesla could do that, but it seems clear to me that Tesla devotes very few resources (some would say no resources) to updating Roadster firmware. There was an update to enable the 3.0 battery to work. There have been no other recent updates that I am aware of.

The 3.0 battery firmware update was so minimal that they didn't even change the charge level options. You still cannot select variable levels of charge like in the S/X, you still only have three charge levels: Storage, Standard, and Range. I find that kind of ridicuous, but that's the way it is. I'm very happy with my 3.0 battery but was disappointed that I was still limited to the same charge levels as before.

Destinations that have the second generation HPWC "Wall Connector" converted to J1772 will work perfectly with all J1772 cars, including the Roadster with your adaptor.

That's not quite correct. A second generation Wall Charger (the connector docks in the main body) will usually not work with a Roadster or J1772 vehicle if it's supplied by Tesla as a Destination Charger. The 2nd Gen HPWCs sold by Tesla for home use will work. A few of the 2nd Gen Destinations will work, but most of them won't. I've repeated this information multiple times in this thread.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
There is some speculation in the UK BMW i3 Facebook group that if the Tesla sign is a red one, it does not work with other cars but if it is a white one then it is generic and will work with other cars.

You can see an example of that signage here.

156811.jpg

Any truth to that theory?

That's not quite correct. A second generation Wall Charger (the connector docks in the main body) will usually not work with a Roadster or J1772 vehicle if it's supplied by Tesla as a Destination Charger. The 2nd Gen HPWCs sold by Tesla for home use will work. A few of the 2nd Gen Destinations will work, but most of them won't. I've repeated this information multiple times in this thread.
Tony is specifically talking about the Wall Connectors that his company is modifying with J1772 handles. He can say that because he's buying them from Tesla as if they were for home install, so they don't have the Destination Charger handshake.

Tony is specifically talking about the Wall Connectors that his company is modifying with J1772 handles. ...
That certainly isn't what he said. If it's what he meant, then what he said was very inaccurate. Personally I don't think he knew the difference between a Destination Charger and a home charger when he posted. I don't think it was intentional.

In case you missed it, here's what he said.

I don't see anything in Tony's wording that conflicts with my assertion, but Tony can speak for himself.
The word "Destinations" in this thread is being used in the context of Tesla's sponsored Destination Charging Network, and Tony used that word to describe converted chargers (which are not part of Tesla's sponsored network). Your assertion is true if Tony meant something very different than what he said. In that case we're both saying essentially the same thing. Are we confused yet?o_O

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and Mark77a
I hesitate to continue this line of discussion because I see your point, but I think there is another meaning that is supported by the words he actually used. I think that Tony has sold his modified units (the second generation HPWC "Wall Connector" converted to J1772) to places that could be considered "Destinations" like resorts that are not on the Tesla Find Us map. These sales were not part of the Tesla Destination Charging program so the hardware does not have the problematic handshake. That is my interpretation.

Gee whiz guys, it appears there is a little bit of a spat going on.

Of course I thought my words are quite clear. As I mentioned, I have spent exactly zero amount of effort researching these issues with the Tesla Roadster and the so-called destination chargers.

I'll get back to you when I've actually gathered some data.

I was not aware (as I mentioned quite specifically) that Tesla had two different versions of the HPWC.

Again, anything is possible.

Reactions: dpeilow
I doubt if half those devices will ever work. He has a splitter with 3 outlets made for 120v, but the source is J1772 L2 240v. How is he going to reduce 240v to 120v without a neutral line? You could theoretically use the ground wire, although not safely, but that would just trip the GFI in the EVSE.
I think those are just handy connectors. Essentially, this is appears to be a J1772 version of your CAN-SR. Tesla source, J1772 sink, all 200-240 volts. I'd only question the gauge of the wires he used for the power lines... Seem to be a bit skinny.

I think those are just handy connectors. Essentially, this is appears to be a J1772 version of your CAN-SR. Tesla source, J1772 sink, all 200-240 volts. I'd only question the gauge of the wires he used for the power lines... Seem to be a bit skinny.
Handy connectors? Unless he knows something that I don't, which is possible, you can't get 120v from 240 without neutral or a transformer. Maybe he has a small transformer in there but it doesn't look like it. A lot of power supplies for computers, iPads, smart phones, etc are made for 100 - 240v so a lot of them would work but he would need a different outlet than the 120v shown in the pics. And you're right the charging would be very slow with such small wires.