Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster owner on 4th! charging cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on my second UMC. The first one started to give an "External Charger Problem" fault once every couple of weeks when waking up to charge, but never for immediate charging. This became more frequent, and I uploaded my logs and talked to the local Service Center.

A few weeks later, my UMC was failing to charge for more than 20 minutes. I uploaded logs again, and got a call a few minutes later to bring it to the Service Center. They loaned me their UMC while they tried charging Roadsters with mine. Two weeks later, I got another call telling me that a new UMC was waiting for me at the Service Center. It was replaced free of charge.

I *will be* on my 4th spare connector cable (110V, 12amp). I just haven't had time to go in to the service center for them to fix it. Its always the "plug head" and they just replace the head for me. Haven't charged me yet but I never know if when they'll start.

Plan to go in for the firmware update later on.

I too, am on my third, the first two had problems from the beginning. I was told by Tesla that heat was the problem that most often causes UMC failure, and I installed a small fan above where it lives in my garage (no HPC) to keep the UMC body cool. So far, so good, after a bit over a year. Mind you, the first one (that came with my CPO Roadster) was labelled as "shop use only" (?), the second was a remanufactured one, the one I have now was brand new.

Last edited: