TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster owner on 4th! charging cable

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Adm, May 21, 2014.

1. Adm

Adm Active Member

I just saw a Roadster owner on Twitter who just bought her 4th charging cable. Do these cables have a history of failure? Has anybody else experienced problems and how has Tesla dealt with it?

2. Curt

Curt Roadster Signature #55

I'm on my second UMC. The first one started to give an "External Charger Problem" fault once every couple of weeks when waking up to charge, but never for immediate charging. This became more frequent, and I uploaded my logs and talked to the local Service Center.

A few weeks later, my UMC was failing to charge for more than 20 minutes. I uploaded logs again, and got a call a few minutes later to bring it to the Service Center. They loaned me their UMC while they tried charging Roadsters with mine. Two weeks later, I got another call telling me that a new UMC was waiting for me at the Service Center. It was replaced free of charge.

3. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

The 1.5 version is built like a tank (and nearly as big as one) and is limited to 30 amps. But they rarely fail. The new sleeker 2.0 and better design can cause some issues from what I hear.

4. Jackyche

Jackyche Member

I *will be* on my 4th spare connector cable (110V, 12amp). I just haven't had time to go in to the service center for them to fix it. Its always the "plug head" and they just replace the head for me. Haven't charged me yet but I never know if when they'll start.

Plan to go in for the firmware update later on.

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Funny, never had a moment's trouble with my (40A) Roadster UMC or other charging accessories. But I'm on my fourth Model S UMC. Go figure.

6. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

3.5 years & 72,000 kms, and nary a problem with either my Roadster HPC nor UMC...53,000 kms and 1.5 years on my wife's Model S, and she's on her second HWPC & UMC......must be the way she drives. :wink:

7. 7racer

7racer Member

on my second, but it's been a tank. The first failed within a month of getting the car.

8. andy-sf

andy-sf Member

9. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

I am on my 1st mobile charge cable, and 1st HPC. No issues with either.

10. sethr

sethr CPO Roadster #1089

#10 sethr, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
    I too, am on my third, the first two had problems from the beginning. I was told by Tesla that heat was the problem that most often causes UMC failure, and I installed a small fan above where it lives in my garage (no HPC) to keep the UMC body cool. So far, so good, after a bit over a year. Mind you, the first one (that came with my CPO Roadster) was labelled as "shop use only" (?), the second was a remanufactured one, the one I have now was brand new.