Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster parts becoming a significant problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can take your A/C hose to a shop and have a custom one made. Probably won't cost much differently than getting it from Tesla, the ends are standard fit. This is what I am doing for an 84 vanagon westfalia I'm restoring right now!

Thanks, that part is in and I'm scheduled to deliver the car to the SC tomorrow for work. (it was delayed to install 'cause I was traveling out of the country last week on vacation.)

After inquiring several months ago (I think 8/2014) about the Xenon headlight upgrade and being told parts were out of stock and later that Roadster parts were being moved into a new warehouse, I was told by my contact at the parts distribution center earlier today that the Xenon headlights were finally in stock and I just placed an order.

I hope the this means the warehouse change for Roadster parts is complete or near complete and that Roadster part availability improves for all of us.

I just picked up my soft top from the Denver Service Center and they said the inventory was complete. Matthew (I think) didn't mention anything about consolidating parts, just a huge inventory of everything. Either way it will be good for us!

Charge Relay went out on my 2.0 and there was one in NA and one in EU available. Mfr is in Germany. Now there is only one . . .

Could be wrt this particular part that it is the mfr that maintains shelf stock. It is a big 2 part item similar in size to a small ICE starter/solenoid. On the 2.0 it is on pass frunk side of firewall.
--

I just had a coolant leak fixed as they replaced the reservoir. The good news is they were able to pick up my car the next day and return it to me a workday later. No small feat as I am 250 miles away.

No issue on the parts. The only downside is with a cost of $400 to replace the coolant this by far was the earliest and most expensive flush I have ever had.

I just had a coolant leak fixed as they replaced the reservoir. The good news is they were able to pick up my car the next day and return it to me a workday later. No small feat as I am 250 miles away.

No issue on the parts. The only downside is with a cost of $400 to replace the coolant this by far was the earliest and most expensive flush I have ever had.

Did that price include picking up and dropping off your car?
Was the leak in your reservoir? Or the tubing connected to it? Or somewhere else?
In a couple other threads it's been discussed that you have to purge the system of air after flushing the fluid. Apparently you need a special tool and perhaps it takes some time? $400 is less than 2hrs labor.

Total cost was a little over $600. $100 pick up fee and was given p85 loaner. Then $100 for the reservoir and $400 labor. So they were fair. But with other cars one could easily change yourself for $25. I think my issue was likely the fluid was old and was starting to foam so pressure was built up causing leaks. With new fluid there is no foam or leaks. The reservoir was swapped as a precaution.

I am only a junior member of this community, but I would like to say when I bought my roadster I felt I received a phenomenal value for my roadster and I assumed someday there would be challenges finding parts for a limited production vehicle...but I am confident that Tesla will continue to take care of us, and I fully expect we will see some future options develop with additional 'partners' as time goes by. When Elon released all the patent information, for me at least it increased my confidence. I understand how everyone feels, but I say lets wait till a fire exists before trying to put it out. I would also like to say I am impressed with how all the members of this site are so helpful... I have seen other sites where egos seem to get in the way and inhibit questions for 'new' members... not here, you guys are great! just my 2 cents....

The car will "self bleed" after a few hours so you don't need any special equipment. Tesla just puts it under vacuum to speed up the process. The hardest part in flushing the system is putting the car up in the air and removing the body pan. The rest takes about 15 minutes.

I may be wrong about this, but I was under the impression that car makers who do business in the USA are required -- by law -- to provide parts support for their cars for ten years after production ends. This was actually one of the excuses GM gave for crushing the EV1 fleet, because getting them all off the road saved the ongoing costs of supporting those cars.

This is spot on. Tesla needs to show consumers they are in it for the long haul and have plans to take care of their customers. It might be expensive to keep Roadsters running, but it will be more expensive if they are perceived to abandon certain models and not support them, leading to consumers not wanting to "gamble" on the future support of the Model S, Model X, etc.
At the end of 2014, didn't Musk say they were about to release a 400 mile range kit, consisting of better tires, wheels, & traction pack? Anyone get one yet? Or did that fizzle out. If it's still in the works at least that shows commitment. You don't hear of any other manufacturer doing that kind of upgrade for their older models.