Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster parts becoming a significant problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we are supposed to hear more about it in August...

At the end of 2014, didn't Musk say they were about to release a 400 mile range kit, consisting of better tires, wheels, & traction pack? Anyone get one yet? Or did that fizzle out. If it's still in the works at least that shows commitment. You don't hear of any other manufacturer doing that kind of upgrade for their older models.

I may be wrong about this, but I was under the impression that car makers who do business in the USA are required -- by law -- to provide parts support for their cars for ten years after production ends. This was actually one of the excuses GM gave for crushing the EV1 fleet, because getting them all off the road saved the ongoing costs of supporting those cars.
This is not true. Car makers are only required to provide parts for the duration of the warranty. For ICE's, emissions equipment are warrantied for 8 years and so those parts must be available for that period.

I can tell you that I recently had the rear deck-lid replaced (someone backed into me) and the quality was HORRIFIC. Tons of blemishes in the carbon on the bottom side, chunks of epoxy missing, etc. I tried to reject it and the body shop was told by Tesla that that was the "best they had and they aren't making any more." So I kept my old one (very small crack on the left side just above the tail lights) in case I or someone else needs it later. So it seems that body panels are already getting hard to come by.

This is not true. Car makers are only required to provide parts for the duration of the warranty. For ICE's, emissions equipment are warrantied for 8 years and so those parts must be available for that period . . . snip . . .
the 'extra' regarding emissions relates to plugins & hybrid components too. The 8yrs extend to traction packs, HV components, inverters, ECU's, inverter & pack thermal management systems, etc. And in CARB states, the 8yr/100k 'emissions' warranty runs to 10yrs/150k. The electrical/electronic components aid in reducing emissions in or out of CARB states, & that's the rational for their inclusion. It escapes me why it is that if plugin/hybrid components get these benefits, shouldn't EV's be under the same umbrella?

the 'extra' regarding emissions relates to plugins & hybrid components too. The 8yrs extend to traction packs, HV components, inverters, ECU's, inverter & pack thermal management systems, etc. And in CARB states, the 8yr/100k 'emissions' warranty runs to 10yrs/150k. The electrical/electronic components aid in reducing emissions in or out of CARB states, & that's the rational for their inclusion. It escapes me why it is that if plugin/hybrid components get these benefits, shouldn't EV's be under the same umbrella?
Because if those systems fail in a hybrid it can keep driving but it will become regular gas car and increase pollution. If those systems fail in an EV then it can't be driven at all and so by definition, no pollution increase.

I can tell you that I recently had the rear deck-lid replaced (someone backed into me) and the quality was HORRIFIC. Tons of blemishes in the carbon on the bottom side, chunks of epoxy missing, etc. I tried to reject it and the body shop was told by Tesla that that was the "best they had and they aren't making any more." So I kept my old one (very small crack on the left side just above the tail lights) in case I or someone else needs it later. So it seems that body panels are already getting hard to come by.

I recently had to get a new trunk lid after a similar incident (I backed into someone). The body shop decided it was absolutely imperative that they replace these items:

* the trunk tub -- the trunk latch had been ripped off
* the trunk lid -- carbon fiber was crunched in one corner
* the rear / tail body panel -- tiny ding that I could just about find if I searched for it
* both tail light assemblies -- no damage that I could see
* driver's side rear quarter panel -- no damage that I could see

The only hint of difficulty getting parts is that I ended up with an older tail panel which is sized to accept only US license plates, and it does look slightly odd when matched with the newer diffusor. The original had been sized for international plates. Aside from that, everything seems OK. Why exactly all those parts needed to be replaced after what seemed like a very minor bump is another subject.

The only hint of difficulty getting parts is that I ended up with an older tail panel which is sized to accept only US license plates, and it does look slightly odd when matched with the newer diffusor. The original had been sized for international plates. Aside from that, everything seems OK. Why exactly all those parts needed to be replaced after what seemed like a very minor bump is another subject.

Interesting. When my Sig 1.5 was damaged I had to convince the body shop to repair my original bumper rather than replacing it because I wanted to retain the original appearance with the narrower (US-only) license plate panel while they only had newer replacements (sized for international plates).

Interesting. When my Sig 1.5 was damaged I had to convince the body shop to repair my original bumper rather than replacing it because I wanted to retain the original appearance with the narrower (US-only) license plate panel while they only had newer replacements (sized for international plates).

We had a similar problem recently. My partner let our daughter drive the her Model S Signature, and she had a little accident. Strangley (at least to me), Tesla apparently doesn't have any of the Signature style front bumper covers/front pods, so they have to replace it with a current one that is shaped a little differently. Perhaps that is why I don't let my daughter drive my Roadster!