Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster PEM failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...and now: almost ready for take-off ;)

TR.jpg

Reactions: Mark77a
Hi, we had a sunny weekend, reason enough to take my Roadster for a nice drive.
Drove app. 250km - the first 50 k's rather decent, the rest a good mix of curvy landroad and some higher speed highway-drive.
I didn't expect maximum temperatures for pem and motor as outside-temps were +/- 12° Celsius, but even pushing quite a bit
motor-temp never went over 85° Celsius and pem a max of 40° Celsius (!). Will keep you updated (...gone charging...)

Good news:
PEM is back today, and installed with no problems in the car. Battery is still on close to 80% even after sitting for around 2 months.

Bad news:
After getting a 12v battery service warning, the car started up fine, but as soon as I put it in drive, I got the same error message 913 Powertrain problem again... Now I really do not know what to do :(

The repair job went good, switched all 28 IGBT on the bad card, the other cards were fine. Everything cleaned up good and the ceramics seemed to be good. The only concern about the repair job is that none of the fuses were blown? Could it be a fuse or relay?
Got one new error code also 1141? But cant find what it is?

I really hope anyone has some good tips now :/

It’s suggestive of a fuse or the capacitors on phase C. I’m assuming the board that fried was phase C. Try swapping the fuse from another board and see if the fault follows the fuse. The capacitors would also affect supply voltage but you have to rule out all the fuses / power supply to phase C first

Reactions: hallvardr
It’s suggestive of a fuse or the capacitors on phase C. I’m assuming the board that fried was phase C. Try swapping the fuse from another board and see if the fault follows the fuse. The capacitors would also affect supply voltage but you have to rule out all the fuses / power supply to phase C first

Do you (or anyone else for that matter) have pictures or can explain the location of all the fuses, so we can check that again, in case any of them was missed?

Do you (or anyone else for that matter) have pictures or can explain the location of all the fuses
There are 8 replaceable fuses in the 2.X PEM. The the first six are accessible from the service window on the passenger side.
2 x 150A AC input line fuse
2 x 20A PEM/Motor cooling fan fuse
2 x 15A Battery heater fuse

The last two are in the rest of the PEM. The first, just left of the service window area on the LCMC input. I'm not sure what that stands for, or the CMCS nearby it. The second, on the upper left corner of the far left Megapole board.

Got one new error code also 1141? But cant find what it is?
It is DMC WARNING Pole Power. What may be causing it could likely be hiding in the log file. The pole power is definitely related to the Megapole boards, and given you still have Error 913, DMC HW: PhaseC Low Side Desat fault, you should definitely look around that phase assembly. Broken insulating material usually causes desaturation faults, and the pole power error can sometimes be a loose bolt/nut on the output from the phase causing deviation from expected values due to contact resistance.

There are 8 replaceable fuses in the 2.X PEM. The the first six are accessible from the service window on the passenger side.
2 x 150A AC input line fuse
2 x 20A PEM/Motor cooling fan fuse
2 x 15A Battery heater fuse
That's interesting. My 2.5 has slightly different values for the last two as follows:
2 x 25A PEM/Motor cooling fan fuse
2 x 10A Battery heater fuse

Did your fingers slip onto the wrong keys?:) Or is my car different?

Did your fingers slip onto the wrong keys?:) Or is my car different?

Finger slipped. It is in fact a Littelfuse 10A 250V ceramic cartridge fuse.

However, the PEM/Motor fan fuses I have seen in many PEMs are Mini Blade 20A fuses. There are two types of 2.X PEMs. A standard PEM and a universal PEM (which can have the standard firmware or have the firmware upgraded to enable Sport performance). Tesla changes the Universal PEM badging to fit the firmware installed. Think Ludicrous upgrade for the Model S/X.

There are two types of 2.X PEMs. A standard PEM and a universal PEM (which can have the standard firmware or have the firmware upgraded to enable Sport performance). Tesla changes the Universal PEM badging to fit the firmware installed. Think Ludicrous upgrade for the Model S/X.

Interesting :) Do the different PEMs have different part numbers and are all Reman PEMs universal? Is it possible to check/verify if Sport Performance is enabled in my Reman PEM?