Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster PEM failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another product I ordered in the meantime is this one:
Gap Pad 5000S35 Features ~ Thermal Materials, Thermal Solutions ~ Henkel
That has excellent property in the range, but only 5 W/mK on the other hand it is electrically insulating.

This is interesting. Thermal conductivity is similar to the original insulation as Daniel mentioned. Any worry about the polymer creeping and eventually deforming under pressure/temperature as it seems quite soft? It is fiberglass reinforced, so this may help. However, this may be interesting in a thin form ( 20-50 microns thick to eliminate thermal penalty) as a gap filler and very nice mechanical buffer between a ceramic sink and the metal cooling plate to absorb thermal expansion mismatch. This may also be interesting on the top of the ceramic between the IGBT. Also like the continuous use temp of 392C..

Maximum operation heat for the igbts is 150 - 175 deg. C. depending on manufacturer.
Since I haven't been able until now to determine the exact electroncs part Tesla used as igbt I am not sure about the changes of the replacement parts. In the German Forum the Infineon IKW75N60T was mentioned as an replacement. There are other manufacturers with the same replament values like Fairchild and IXYS. Those parts a slightly different in max. operation temp, saturation voltage and max. output...
As far as I can judge the original used insulation has been between 0,25 - 0,5 mm in thickness.
The ceramic isolation combined with some ceramic grease (as done on processors) is the way my technician wants to do it....
We'll see...

Water cooling has already been discussed and would require big changes in design and also controlling; maybe even of the software to which we dont have access to.

3 Phases
I posted a thread here in the forum about a austrian guy who had developed a 3 phase to 1 phase converter suitable to be stored in the trunk of the Roadster ;)

This has been a really good thread so far, and the discussion about a replacement PEM / redesign has come up before. I believe some guys in Latvia who have a Roadster for hill climbs have designed smaller replacement PEM with improved performance, whilst we know the Model S has both supercharge capability and water cooling for the power electronics.

There is also the QCP JdeMo modification currently being shipped and installed I think, which dupes the car into thinking it is in regen mode thus to use DC rather than AC and so fast charge.

I wonder however, based on the high level of knowledge demonstrated in this thread (electronics, material science, power distribution etc), whether it would be possible for us to design a replacement PEM with the features we desire, and the resilience needed to ensure the car remains viable for the next decade plus.

Without doubt I think, we are seeing that the PEM (more so for the later cars), is the Achilles heel - the motor, battery and other vehicle subsystems seem pretty solid. My roadster has gone through four PEMs in 15 months - and whilst the current re-manufactured one is under warranty for the next 12 months, I worry about what happens after that.

Features I think which are desirable (and could be incorporated easily), would be the following, in no particular order:

1. Water cooled electronics, replacing the need for the blower fan
2. Fast DC charging - opportunity to switch out the charging port for a Type 2 perhaps?
3. Easily removable / demount-able connections for PEM removal - but removal of air cooling would perhaps remove
the need for the annual PEM removal etc.
4. Replaceable IGBT boards as modules with appropriately rated connectors and good thermal materials
5. Uprated connectors for the PEM cooling fan / motor fan if appropriate
6. WiFi or Bluetooth etc link for monitoring of PEM to supplement or replace OVMS
7. Higher power rating for IGBTs etc
8. At least two suppliers for all key components for legacy purposes
9. Plug and play with existing PEM connectors.

Not a trivial task, but one which would see the life potential of the car protected, whilst reducing the wait times we see with the SC's due to PEM shortages etc.

Thoughts?

Reactions: nsxpert
The three modules with each 28 IGBT IKW75N60T (Infineon) original parts in my PEM (Tesla roadster 2.5!) Are monitored by each a temperature sensor located almost in the middle of the cooling plate, but one of them Did not detect the overheating and bursting of one of the IGBTs.

As regards the original thermal paste, it is electrically insulating, contains no fiberglass cloth, and must be 0.5 mm thick at the origin.

The Gap Pad 5000S35 to a fiber with not very tight mesh (0.5x2mm), but on the surface if the IGBT elements are well welded flat, the pressure applied directly on their backs through the circuit (aluminum parts) ) Is not excessive. The effective thermal property and the high performance dielectric should do the trick.

CHECK THE AIR COOLING CIRCUIT AND THE WINDS OF YOUR RADIATORS ESPECIALLY ON THE RIGHT OF THE PEM SEEN FROM THE REAR (I do not think we can clean the PEM well in a TESLA service! And opening the PEM is not sufficient, it is necessary to disassemble all the connections to remove the support of plate IGBT doing sheath of ventilation)

I just finished a small editing with an Arduino circuit and 12 sensors to closely monitor my IGBT circuits. Two front and two back aligned between the 6 columns of IGBT, the temperature is displayed on a small LCD screen of two lines. I go up my PEM next week and keep you up to date.

Attachments

• LCD16x2-tempsensorforPEM.jpg
    LCD16x2-tempsensorforPEM.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 284
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and ion_1
This has been a really good thread so far, and the discussion about a replacement PEM / redesign has come up before. I believe some guys in Latvia who have a Roadster for hill climbs have designed smaller replacement PEM with improved performance, whilst we know the Model S has both supercharge capability and water cooling for the power electronics.

There is also the QCP JdeMo modification currently being shipped and installed I think, which dupes the car into thinking it is in regen mode thus to use DC rather than AC and so fast charge.

I wonder however, based on the high level of knowledge demonstrated in this thread (electronics, material science, power distribution etc), whether it would be possible for us to design a replacement PEM with the features we desire, and the resilience needed to ensure the car remains viable for the next decade plus.

Without doubt I think, we are seeing that the PEM (more so for the later cars), is the Achilles heel - the motor, battery and other vehicle subsystems seem pretty solid. My roadster has gone through four PEMs in 15 months - and whilst the current re-manufactured one is under warranty for the next 12 months, I worry about what happens after that.

Features I think which are desirable (and could be incorporated easily), would be the following, in no particular order:

2. Fast DC charging - opportunity to switch out the charging port for a Type 2 perhaps?
3. Easily removable / demount-able connections for PEM removal - but removal of air cooling would perhaps remove
4. Replaceable IGBT boards as modules with appropriately rated connectors and good thermal materials
6. WiFi or Bluetooth etc link for monitoring of PEM to supplement or replace OVMS

Not a trivial task, but one which would see the life potential of the car protected, whilst reducing the wait times we see with the SC's due to PEM shortages etc.

Thoughts?

1. Quite imaginable, but unless you connect to the battery cooling system if the temperatures are compatible, it will require a fan and a radiator ..!)
2. Tony did it, (CHADEMO) but you have to stay in the car during the load.
3. Screw terminals cheaper than sockets..and safer ..

4. It works, the circuit is not very complex and the parts not very expensive.

5. Above all, ask DYSON how to make a bagless vacuum cleaner!

6. WiFi or Bluetooth etc. link for monitoring of PEM to supplement or replace OVMS .. arduino with wires in the meantime ..

7. As we have the data sheet of the current IGBT, it is enough to find an engineer in IGBT to find us the replacement.

8. I would say .. the PEM schemas from TESLA

10. It is necessary to share the information to advance on the subject!

Have a nice day !

Michael

Reactions: dhrivnak
Maximum operation heat for the igbts is 150 - 175 deg. C. depending on manufacturer.
Since I haven't been able until now to determine the exact electroncs part Tesla used as igbt I am not sure about the changes of the replacement parts. In the German Forum the Infineon IKW75N60T was mentioned as an replacement. There are other manufacturers with the same replament values like Fairchild and IXYS. Those parts a slightly different in max. operation temp, saturation voltage and max. output...
As far as I can judge the original used insulation has been between 0,25 - 0,5 mm in thickness.
The ceramic isolation combined with some ceramic grease (as done on processors) is the way my technician wants to do it....
We'll see...

Water cooling has already been discussed and would require big changes in design and also controlling; maybe even of the software to which we dont have access to.

3 Phases
I posted a thread here in the forum about a austrian guy who had developed a 3 phase to 1 phase converter suitable to be stored in the trunk of the Roadster ;)

With an autotransformer it is necessary to count 70 Kg! With power electronics? How much power is it able to transform?
I explored this track, but the battery pack of the roadster is very powerful, it would be necessary to ensure maximum load values in DC, soon there will be terminals everywhere .. up to 150 KW/h which is too much for us !!

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Thoughts?

What you list would be great. Liquid cooling is the long ball, I would be fantastically happy just to have the chronic failure points not replaced, but improved. As you note:

1. IGBT thermal conductor/electronic insulator
2. The Fan motor connectors
3. Improved thermal monitoring (as per Michael)

Second level would be keep the air cooling, but possibly redesign airflow and sinks for better cooling efficiency.

Enjoyable link on the power electronics and choice of legacy IGBTs (similar to roadster) related to the S (apologies if this was posted before):
In a Tesla model S, there is no IGBT packaging trick.

Just a little update - I have removed my PEM and opened it up to have a little look. No obvious sign of damage, no burnt smell BUT I have noticed that the fuse on Megapole circuit board is blown.
Does anyone know what or if anything can be drawn from this?
IMGP2321.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
and another update:

Technician called:
- originally used IGBTs are Infinieon IKT75N60T
- insulation at some parts completely gone due to aging and overheating
for my car especially:
- first megapol circuit board all transistor ok (measured)
- no visible damage on cooling plate
- guy will solder the parts again and try to use the alloy oxide ceramic insulation plates

conclusions:
-in the 1.5 PEM a higher level Infineon is used compared to the 2.0 and 2.5
despite the fact that the driver ICs are capable of running a pulse width modulation of 32 kHz it should be lower since the Infineon goes up to 20 kHz only
- I had Phase A and B error... the first board was completely ok... so if on the second board there's no blown transistor I'm screwed

keep the fingers crossed guys!

• Informative
Reactions: ion_1 and dhrivnak
Just a little update - I have removed my PEM and opened it up to have a little look. No obvious sign of damage, no burnt smell BUT I have noticed that the fuse on Megapole circuit board is blown.
Does anyone know what or if anything can be drawn from this?View attachment 231264
I have read that the fuses can sometime blow. Poor tolerances, a bad fuse or a lot of high usage. So buy two fuses and if it blows again then you do have a problem. But I have not read about repeated fuse problems.