Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Rear Hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nigel you must have some cool way of searching for a pic like that.

search.jpg

Sure, just type in something here...

Reactions: AtAge19
Hi Team Tesla,
I was wondering if anyone has put a bike rack or wheelchair rack on the back of their Tesla. . . .
N

Or . . . just get a bike that can fit in the Roadster trunk or passenger area. The Strida bike with the stock 16in wheels fits in the trunk, but the seat needs to be removed. Not too difficult to do, really. Bike very easy to fold/unfold, takes 30 seconds. Bike very much fun to ride and is quite manoeverable. Answers the question: What shall I do while the Roadster is charging away from home.
strida_tesla.jpg
strida_in_tesla.jpg
strida_bike.jpg

Rear Hitch Receiver

I am contemplating the installation of one of these TESLA rear hitch receivers in order to mount a bicycle rack on my Roadster 2.5:

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/roadster-functional/products/rear-hitch-receiver

Has anyone else installed one of these from TESLA? Most importantly, does the 31 pounds of weight it adds to the rear of the Roadster affect the vehicle handling in any respect, or is this such a minimal weight addition that it is not noticed?

hitch_1_grande.jpg

Reactions: AtAge19
I too am considering the rear hitch.

Has anyone gotten this rear hitch for their Roadster? Bonnie?
If so, thoughts and impressions? Is it very visible?
I would love to see pics of this installed with and without the bike rack on.

HERE is another thread that shows hitches on 2.0 Roadsters.

It doesn't have many close-ups of the receiver like Bonnie did. But then again, those weren't necessarily the "official Tesla" hitch, as Tesla wasn't offering them when a Tesla Service Manager did them on the side for a couple of us owners.

But there is room for a 1.25" receiver just underneath the license plate without cutting anything other than the mesh behind it.

I was able to add a bike hitch to my Roadster. I was surprised to find out how much drag it adds with a bike on. On the highway at 68 MPH it cut my range a good 25%, 150 miles down from an expected 200 usable range. It is a nice option but a bike rack and distance driving are not a good combo.

Claytor_Lake (1).jpg