TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Roadster Refresh from Detroit Electric?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by RobsJester, Mar 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RobsJester

RobsJester Member

Electrek reports Detroit Electric just inked a 1.8billion dollar investment from China’s Far East Smarter Energy Group.

Detroit Electric gets $1.8 billion investment from China to recreate Tesla’s strategy

It seems Detroit Electric is following Tesla's origin story closely, and starting with a two seater Roadster. In fact, when I say closely, they are following Tesla's Roadster blueprint exactly by sourcing Elise chassis from Lotus... and while they are at it, picking up motors from AC Propulsion. And further disregarding the biggest lessons Tesla learned from Roadster 1.0, there is even interior pict's of a stick shift - so they may be replicating the mistake of Roadster 1.0, the two-speed transmission - except as a slushbox manual o_O

I applaud DE for attempting to offer an aspirational convertible EV, and I think there is a market for an electric two seater with refreshed interior and modern safety systems. But was disheartened to read DE's Roadster only offers a 34kwh battery (which is 1/3rd less capacity than the 2008 Roadster's stock battery, and less than half the capacity of the new 3.0 80kwh upgrade). Then I hoped the smaller battery would favor a mind-numbing 0-60 time, but Electrek is reporting the acceleration matches what tesla offered in 2008 ~ 3.9sec (and is still slower than a seven year old Sport - let's not even mention a 5,000lbs P100D).

Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 5.03.20 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 5.03.29 PM.png

• Informative x 3
  2. James Anders

James Anders Member

Performance and range are disappointing.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Detroit Electric has been trying to get their EV production going for years now. This has been discussed before on TMC.

4. triakter

triakter Member

That iPad-sized stereo binnacle, though... wonder if there's any chance that could be fitted to replace the singe-DIN Roadster setup...

• Like x 2
  5. strider

strider Active Member

Wow, I am speechless. How the F do they think they can get $100k for a car that has less range and is slower than a 10-year-old Roadster? Just go spend $60K on a used Roadster (you'll still have more range and better acceleration than a new DE). This company is full of idiots.

• Like x 3