Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Refresh from Detroit Electric?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electrek reports Detroit Electric just inked a 1.8billion dollar investment from China’s Far East Smarter Energy Group.

Detroit Electric gets $1.8 billion investment from China to recreate Tesla’s strategy

It seems Detroit Electric is following Tesla's origin story closely, and starting with a two seater Roadster. In fact, when I say closely, they are following Tesla's Roadster blueprint exactly by sourcing Elise chassis from Lotus... and while they are at it, picking up motors from AC Propulsion. And further disregarding the biggest lessons Tesla learned from Roadster 1.0, there is even interior pict's of a stick shift - so they may be replicating the mistake of Roadster 1.0, the two-speed transmission - except as a slushbox manual o_O

I applaud DE for attempting to offer an aspirational convertible EV, and I think there is a market for an electric two seater with refreshed interior and modern safety systems. But was disheartened to read DE's Roadster only offers a 34kwh battery (which is 1/3rd less capacity than the 2008 Roadster's stock battery, and less than half the capacity of the new 3.0 80kwh upgrade). Then I hoped the smaller battery would favor a mind-numbing 0-60 time, but Electrek is reporting the acceleration matches what tesla offered in 2008 ~ 3.9sec (and is still slower than a seven year old Sport - let's not even mention a 5,000lbs P100D).

Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 5.03.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 5.03.29 PM.png