TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roadster reservations

Discussion in 'Roadster 2020' started by Twiddler, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

Okay, go! Who has information on how/when to reserve a new roadster??
    [​IMG]

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 3
  2. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

$200k base, $50k reservation fee
    founders model: $250K - paid now

3. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

• Helpful x 1
  4. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Dog Chauffeur

Who starts the poll on how long it takes to sell out the founder spots? I'll put my money on 10 minutes.

• Funny x 1
  5. hershey101

hershey101 Member

The roadster reservations are on the live-stream link... $5K now... rest within 10 business days

• Informative x 1
  6. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

That's a lot of loot for a 3 year wait. I've waited before but this one feels a bit different. And more expensive.

• Like x 2
  7. John W. Ratcliff

I'm cancelling my Model-3 order and getting this instead!!

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 5
  8. Drax

Drax Member

Looks like an incredible piece of engineering and design. A genuine EV daily-driveable supercar, and at ~$250K there is actual value compared to other supercars.

It also screams, “we need cash now.”

I can’t deny if I had the disposable required, I’d be first in line looking for one of each though. For those who have already ordered (or will be ordering shortly), you have my absolute respect and admiration.

• Like x 2
  9. EternalChampion

I think I’ll be slumming it in my P85D until it hits that million mile mark. That roadster is outside my comfort zone.

• Like x 2
  10. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

Which might be why the P version of the Model 3 either won't be made or is a much lower priority now...

I've always thought they'd just do single and dual motor Model 3 and leave the performance trims to S/X/Roadster.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  11. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

Yes, it does. They are doing this way too early for it not to be anything but a financing round.

I've seen companies go down this route before and Tesla is more and more going from the "selling the future today" business to "billing the future today" business (see EAP/FSD) and that's unfortunate. The first Roadster were far more understandable for their time (a very small company), Model S, Model X and Model 3 reservations were conservative (though may have in some ways acted in similar manner), but for a very large company like Tesla today, this is pretty much unheard of - unless the company is short on cash...

Other than that, seems like a great car. I'm sure they'll get their 1000+.

• Like x 5
  12. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

Nah, doubt that. There is money to be made from a Performance Model 3. They'll just make the Model 3 P version significantly less powerful/quick than Model S/X Performance version. That leaves room for all four Performanace cars.

13. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. But realistically I think it's beyond my means.

• Like x 2
  14. Tex EV

Tex EV Member

Interesting that there are 1,000 Founders slots. Weren't there only 27 for 1.0? :)

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  15. John W. Ratcliff

FWIW, this should help with the market price of the original Roadster. At least that is what happened for the Acura NSX.

• Like x 3
  16. Bruin1996

Bruin1996 Member

Wife just said she would support me if I wanted to buy one. I am one happy camper to hear that but not sure this car is really right for me. Would need to test drive it and make sure Tesla has worked out the kinks before I commit to such an expensive car even though we can afford it. I am happy driving my Model S for a few more years either way.

• Like x 1
  17. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

A $250k even $45k is a lot to put down....I would rather buy a $100k of Tesla stocks now and watch it pay for the roaster in 2020.

• Like x 12
    • Helpful x 1
  18. Clackamas

Clackamas Member

Founders Series RoadsterReservations require a $5,000 credit card payment, plus an additional wire transfer payment due in 10 days. Reservations are not final until the wire transfer payment is received.

19. Clackamas

Clackamas Member

My own question answered -> Founders Series RoadsterReservations require a $5,000 credit card payment, plus an additional wire transfer payment due in 10 days. Reservations are not final until the wire transfer payment is received.

20. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

Curious how today's announced Roadster compares in cost to the Roadster when it first came out (Founders Series and non).