Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fun for the decoders. Try this. Model 3 and Roadster2020 Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 3.09.54 PM.png

• Funny
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Understand, but if more people were to post general guidance on when they ordered and reservation numbers received back it would be easier to attempt to understand how they assign the numbers. Is it based on sales geography, previous vehicles owned, proximity to the factory etc.... Just seems odd that gbdesai and I ordered fairly close together, and our reservation numbers were close. Maybe there is no need to interpolate or extrapolate, but it could be a good project for anyone twiddling their thumbs until 2020..

Understand, but if more people were to post general guidance on when they ordered and reservation numbers received back it would be easier to attempt to understand how they assign the numbers. Is it based on sales geography, previous vehicles owned, proximity to the factory etc.... Just seems odd that gbdesai and I ordered fairly close together, and our reservation numbers were close. Maybe there is no need to interpolate or extrapolate, but it could be a good project for anyone twiddling their thumbs until 2020..

You would need hundreds of people to report their RN number and date/time of reservation. Since most people are hesitant to publish their RN#, that's really never going to happen.

We did this exercise in March, 2016 at the original reveal event, and someone was able to reverse-enginner the reservation sequence order by looking at the reservation HTML page... but Tesla quickly closed that hole, and since then the RN#s were all over the place. It's probably not a hash, but some sort of unique/randomly assigned number (like a GUID) that links to the reservation record which then has an internal sequence number. I'm also certain that the RN# does not have the 'ownership status' or geographic location embedded in it. Those attributes are overlaid on the core sequence number to figure out who gets invites first.

I'm not saying it's impossible to decode the RN# to some degree, but I do think it's a futile exercise.

Reactions: JenniferQ
when did you place the initial deposit on the roadster?
I can't remember the exact time. It wasn't until Nov 17, because I mentioned it to my husband who said he needed to do more "research" and then on Friday, I decided to just put down the deposit and beg forgiveness since it was refundable. Luckily, I got approval over the next day for the wire.

I wonder if the person reporting it was just looking at the RN, and thinking it was sequential....?

Back in the Noughties we had a (web) client who wanted to do some sort of online competition/reservation thing. I explained to him about the IDs being potentially harvested. He said he had a concern about a competitor that was in the same "space", so we gamed the IDs; any IDs created in quick succession were consecutive, but if there was a lull we added a weighted increment. We chose not to use GUIDs ...

Client later told me that his competition had folded their project! Can't remember how many my client got, but I do remember thinking "That's not very many" :)

so we gamed the IDs; any IDs created in quick succession were consecutive, but if there was a lull we added a weighted increment.

Nice. I like it.

I've done stuff like that in a lot of web apps I've built.. I'll put in fake but "meaningful looking" GET parameters into the URL just to throw people off, when the real parameters are encrypted into either another GET or POST or session parameter.

Then there was the time that AMEX ran their first Wishlist holiday promotion, where they would release a discount on something and you had to be quick to get the "winning" URL. It didn't take long to reverse-engineer the URLs to automatically produce a winning URL with the code. People would figure out the code, post it on fatwallet, and then everyone was a winner! It didn't take long for AMEX to close that hole (but longer than you think it would take). The sad part was they had a professional gaming company run the promotion... you'd think they'd make more than trivially easy to game the contest.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Reserved my roadster within first 2 minutes of online reservation page going live and sent the additional $45k via same day wire transfer that Saturday am (11/18). My RN ends in 66783. I own a Model X and also have a Model 3 reservation. Like most of you, I also received my email confirmation and RN on Friday (12/1).

I wired the same day and I have the same issue. I called them and was informed that due to the volume it will take them 5 days to log your deposit and see it on the site. I guess be patient.

Update: Now Wednesday is past and still no logging of my deposit. I'll update when it is posted so others can have a time frame of how long it is taking them.

Finally yesterday the website is updated and my reservation is complete. Two full weeks from the deposit, but now proper and correct.

Interesting that there are 1,000 Founders slots. Weren't there only 27 for 1.0? :)

Yes, that is peculiar. I would make more sense for the Founders' version to be by invitation only, and the 1000 first "regular customers" be "Signature" models if they followed past methods.
In the past, Founders' editions tended to go to board members and big investors.

I think the referral program bonus system has changed the approach.

If that's who I think it is, how many of those Roadsters were salvage?

It is NOT who you think it is, and NONE of those are Salvage.

But I know who you are talking about and his list is similarly impressive...

It would include:
#1: P100DL S - White
#2: Roadster 2.5 Sport resurrected - Green
#3: Roadster 2.5 Sport parts car - Red
#4: Roadster 2.5 resurrected - Black
#5: Roadster Sport 2.0 (bought new) - Silver
#6: Roadster glider tub (new, never put in service)
...etc...

Last edited: