Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone ever questioned the fact that the $250,000 is only mentioned as a reservation fee. Nowhere on the website it is stated that this is the full price for the Roadster and that it will be the final price. So, we could be in for a surprise when it ill actually will cost way more that that.

Has anyone ever questioned the fact that the $250,000 is only mentioned as a reservation fee. Nowhere on the website it is stated that this is the full price for the Roadster and that it will be the final price. So, we could be in for a surprise when it ill actually will cost way more that that.
Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 10.34.02 AM.png

Reactions: FlatSix911
I wonder if the value of the dollar will impact non-US Roadster prices.

That is one of the reasons why I'm in doubt about the full price. Teslas in EU are generally a lot more expensive than they are in the US. Right now, the listed advance of €215.000 is just a plain conversion and does not take into account the transport, import taxes, additional effort to get it approved in EU etc.
If we go by current price differences for a top spec Model S P100D, then the $250,000 should amount to €275.000. Quite the uplift on the advance of €215.000

@aikisteve Also bear in mind if it's anything like previous cars, Tesla will need to get EU crash testing and stuff done, meaning EU destined cars may have a longer wait.

Founders cars here don't make as much sense.

Why don't they make sense? Founder's Series is a limited edition, full option version in this case. Delivery time is indeed longer, as usual. I expect nothing less. But still, they will be the first Roadster cars on the continent and will retain their value better than the "base model". Especially since I also expect the Founder's to come with a "maximum plaid" version instead of the announced "plaid".

I didn't say no sense. Just less sense.

You are paying a premium to have one of the first, but there's a fair chance, by the time the EU cars come then the general release in the states will be shipping.

Having one of the first Roadsters in the world is simply worth more than having one of the first in your country. VIN#001 obviously being worth the most.

Whoever put down $250k for the founder series shouldn't really care much about additional fees..I would assume.

I am never able to actually buy the car, but have no problem leasing it. Driving a P100D at the moment and because we're talking about a monthly fee and never about buying the car entirely (high residual value), that opens up possibilities that otherwise I would not have.
So, the "putting down" would be a problem for the lease company and not for me personally. But then again, which lease company is going to put down that amount for a car that doesn't even exist yet?...

@aikisteve if you don't have a spare $250k lying around in cash then the Founders edition is not for you.

No lease company on the planet is going to put down a deposit on your behalf.

I know and that's what I was saying. But the point was more that it's not always the case that if you can buy a $100k or 250$ car, the additional costs don't matter. For many people, the car itself is already quite the budget stretch. And they do care about any additional costs.

I spent about $250k on my landscaping but that increases the value of my house...I just can't do that with the roadster that will deprecate.

I do plan on getting an S in the future (to replace my Cadillac ELR)...I can sell my X and 3 and buy the roadster...but wouldn't you rather have an S, X, 3 and maybe a Y instead of one roadster??

<snip>

I do plan on getting an S in the future (to replace my Cadillac ELR)...I can sell my X and 3 and buy the roadster...but wouldn't you rather have an S, X, 3 and maybe a Y instead of one roadster??
Maybe for some. But for those of us ready to downsize (and fit them all in the garage!), I am looking to replace my S (and the Ferrari) with the Roadster; hubby has the 3. Then we can swap as needed. Best laid plans, though...