Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P/L version of the M3 sure will come. The Roadster will have no effect on that. They occupy two completely different market segments, BMW M3 and 911 Turbo S if you will. Don't expect its performance to be close to that of the Roadser or even the MS though. Tesla, like any auto company, will do its best to make people want to buy the $200K+ Roadster or $150K P1xxD instead of $90K 3 P/L.

As for the Roadster I understand by no means it's inexpensive but it's really a super great deal. The market will react when there is a great deal. What prompted me to put down the deposit is not that I want to get the car early but I'm afriad Tesla will raise the price in the future if the response is too good. The original NSX was listed at only ~$60K when it was first released. Honda did not realize it's a super great deal but everyone else did. You could not get your hands on one without paying 50% dealer markup. Eventually Honda raised price to pretty much that level, We'll find out more about details of the Roadster and how market reacts to it as time goes by. For me all I'm paying is interest of the $50K which is not that big a deal.

I doubt that the price will be raised as Tesla has not done that before. In fact, they have been lowering the price of the S and X by giving more standard equipment that they had charged for in the past.
In addition, you are losing more than interest. You are losing the 'opportunity cost' of investing that money elsewhere, like in TSLA.

Certainly an individual decision and I hope it works out for you. Good that Tesla gets those funds to invest in growth.

Last edited:
P/L version of the M3 sure will come. The Roadster will have no effect on that. They occupy two completely different market segments, BMW M3 and 911 Turbo S if you will. Don't expect its performance to be close to that of the Roadser or even the MS though. Tesla, like any auto company, will do its best to make people want to buy the $200K+ Roadster or $150K P1xxD instead of $90K 3 P/L.

As for the Roadster I understand by no means it's inexpensive but it's really a super great deal. The market will react when there is a great deal. What prompted me to put down the deposit is not that I want to get the car early but I'm afriad Tesla will raise the price in the future if the response is too good. The original NSX was listed at only ~$60K when it was first released. Honda did not realize it's a super great deal but everyone else did. You could not get your hands on one without paying 50% dealer markup. Eventually Honda raised price to pretty much that level, We'll find out more about details of the Roadster and how market reacts to it as time goes by. For me all I'm paying is interest of the $50K which is not that big a deal.
Totally agree. I even took a screenshot to keep "proof" of the $200k pricetag.

Any idea what reservation numbers are up to for the new roadster? I reserved a founder's series about 4 hours after the announcement and I got a number ending in 458. Interesting to see where we are now...Also, I sent my $$$ last Tuesday and have yet to see confirmation, but the people on the help line assure me everything will be proper by the end of this week.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Still no email confirmation for me (wire went out last Monday ~11am).

@VBob, I thought that the reservation numbers weren't necessarily sequential, or at least that not all in the sequence would be used. At least, that is my understanding of the Model 3 reservations. In fact, my Model 3 RN108xx..xx is actually first in estimated configuration date over my second Model 3 RN107xx..xx.

Porsche sold 918 copies of the Porsche 918 Spyder for $847,000+.

And how many of those have driven more than a couple of thousand miles? Most were bought as collection investments, and will sit in a/c'd garages for the next 20+years. I really hope the Roadster 2 doesn't go that way.

In some ways I wish Tesla would launch a smaller pack variant that I could use as a daily and not worry too much about the residual impact of actually using the thing.

I'm probably in the minority here by being a little disappointed with the Roadster shown being the "base model", all I actually want is 0-60 in 3ish, 155 mph top end, 250 miles of range with Supercharging capability, wrapped up in a lighter more nimble package than the Model S. In effect taking the fight to the 911 C4S not the (loss making) 918.

It's moot anyway being in the UK I can't see any founders cars coming here and if it's like the Model S then the signature cars will arrive at the same time as the non sigs, and a month or two later general orders come through.

Compounding matters if Tesla decide to make this a proper production car, not a limited run collectable (like the Chiron / 918 / LaFerrari ) I might as well just wait for a CPO one anyway.

So for now I'm out, at least until I see some clarity on the direction Tesla intend to take the car.

Last edited:
Any idea what reservation numbers are up to for the new roadster? I reserved a founder's series about 4 hours after the announcement and I got a number ending in 458. Interesting to see where we are now...Also, I sent my $$$ last Tuesday and have yet to see confirmation, but the people on the help line assure me everything will be proper by the end of this week.
Are you sure you were not on the Ferrari website :D

I'm probably in the minority here by being a little disappointed with the Roadster shown being the "base model", all I actually want is 0-60 in 3ish, 155 mph top end, 250 miles of range with Supercharging capability, wrapped up in a lighter more nimble package than the Model S. In effect taking the fight to the 911 C4S not the (loss making) 918.
I agree. That’s what I want. I have no problem with Tesla making a Roadster that beats every “supercar” for a fraction of the price but that’s not a car I can afford. I would prefer the base Roadster to be more what you describe, for closer to $100K, and then the “premium” version to be what Elon showed at the Semi unveiling. Elon still gets his “smack down” moment, and more people can afford to buy a new Roadster.

Last edited:
Still waiting for an email here. 5k reserve 17th Nov and then balance 245k once my local bank was open. 9 days an not a peep. Has anyone heard on Founders addition?
Maybe this is the reason:

"Just FYI the local store in south FL, a sales person mentioned there are 45,000 reservations so far for the Roadster 2. I asked her 3 times, are you sure because it is a hard number to believe. I am shocked by this number as Ferrari only sells 7,000 cars a year and McLaren about 1800, all at about the same price point of the TSLA. The next day I received an email from her telling me that there is no official reservation number, she was relatively new there and probably didn't realize she shouldn't have mentioned that."

R&R Capital's Comments | Seeking Alpha

• Funny
Reactions: GSP
Maybe this is the reason:

"Just FYI the local store in south FL, a sales person mentioned there are 45,000 reservations so far for the Roadster 2. I asked her 3 times, are you sure because it is a hard number to believe. I am shocked by this number as Ferrari only sells 7,000 cars a year and McLaren about 1800, all at about the same price point of the TSLA. The next day I received an email from her telling me that there is no official reservation number, she was relatively new there and probably didn't realize she shouldn't have mentioned that."

R&R Capital's Comments | Seeking Alpha

Well I know someone who is going to get additional training....:oops:
But I feel the need to ask: by what route would a Gallery employee in FL be informed about the number of Roadster reservations, and for what reason? If Tesla corporate doesn't want the number out there, they wouldn't disseminate it. Guess we'll have confirmation in 63 days or so when the Q4 reservation numbers come out 2 billion higher...

Edit: From the game of telephone, 4 to 5 thousand?

Last edited:
Just FYI the local store in south FL, a sales person mentioned there are 45,000 reservations so far for the Roadster 2. I asked her 3 times, are you sure because it is a hard number to believe.
I agree with @mongo: it seems highly unlikely that a Tesla showroom employee would have access to the current reservation figure for the new Roadster. That would probably be a closely held secret that only a limited number of Tesla management personnel would know.

The person you spoke to may have heard an internal rumor, but I find it hard to believe that is the actual number. However, I could of course be wrong.

Reactions: GSP and replicant
I doubt that the price will be raised as Tesla has not done that before.

Oh, yes they have. They raised the price of the original Roadster after taking deposits and figuring out that they couldn't make the cars for what they were charging, and the people who had put down money wound up paying a higher price than they were promised or not getting their cars. There was quite the fight and general unhappiness about it at the time.

I'm probably in the minority here by being a little disappointed with the Roadster shown being the "base model", all I actually want is 0-60 in 3ish, 155 mph top end, 250 miles of range with Supercharging capability, wrapped up in a lighter more nimble package than the Model S. .

I do not think you would be in the minority, it would be an absolute bestseller that many would like to see (and buy).

Offer that for 120k-ish, maybe a bit more range than 250 miles, and sign me up for one now !

Reactions: Nevek
I've owned couple 200k + Mclarens but I hestitate to put up 50k.
What if Teslas goes BK ?

You lose the deposit. But the chances of that happening are very low, albeit not zero.

You could see it as an investment in the acceleration of electric mobility. You are buying a call option on a car. And you are buying the fun of looking forward to owning this fabulous car. Much like people buying a lottery ticket for the fun of dreaming of being a millionaire. With lottery tickets the fun ends at the time of the drawing.

The more people put down a deposit, the less risk there will be.