TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster roadtrip! Sacramento|Portland|Seattle

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by bonnie, Aug 9, 2012.

1. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I'll be in Portland the last few days of August & then Seattle the following week. Anyone want to meet for coffee?

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Tea/cocoa preferred. :)

3. bonnie

I may mock your beverage choices, it being the Pacific NW and all.

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

My S is partially funded by not falling into the coffee trap. ;)

5. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Can you post details about driving distances, charging locations, charge times, cost, etc?
    Thanks, and have a good trip!

6. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Yes! I'm flexible.

7. bonnie

How about Saturday morning, September 1st? I'm open to either Beaverton (by Tesla, perhaps) or downtown Portland. You guys decide.

8. bonnie

Good suggestion - I'll do that.

9. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

How bout Cheesecake Factory or Starbucks there at the mall? You can charge there at the Tesla parking place (I took pics of the charging spot on this forum), and we can also check out the store there too.

I'll bet a few others will chime in and want to join too.
    Looking forward to seeing your Roadster!

10. bonnie

That works for me, I'm looking forward to it. We can meet around the time the store opens.

11. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Yeah this would be great to learn. I'm contemplating taking delivery at the factory, getting a tour, and then driving home. It would require 3 charging points along the way.

12. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

#12 ChadS, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
    Those of you on the West coast (i.e. Beaverton OR) picking up from the factory can use this map of West-coast HPCs to get your cars home. Focus on the blue pins, which are the 70 HPCs.

Note, though, that while many of the stations around Sacramento and South have been converted to J1772 stations so you can use them with your included J1772 adapter, most of the ones from Orland CA and North (basically everything that Greg would be interested in) still have HPC heads; and they were put in privately by Roadster owners so I don't foresee an effort to change them over. Tesla has talked about providing a way to allow the Model S to charge at those stations, but I haven't seen the solution yet.

13. bonnie

Yep, ChadS is right. What he doesn't mention is all the helpful notes he's posted for the various 70amp HPCs (along with pics!). That makes my trip so much easier.

14. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Right on Chad and Bonnie. This is great, looking forward to this trip.

15. AndyM

AndyM Member

(Late reader... damn "work" getting inthe way again...) I'm in, Sep 1!

16. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Have fun. Wish I could join. That's amazing that there are so many public 70A chargers. With the new Supercharger network, maybe the rest of the US can gain some quicker charging capability too.

17. roblab

roblab Active Member

I have requested one of these Roadster HPC - Model S chargers when I finalized my order. Later, checking with my liaison, he said three had been completed, and mine would be ready when my car was delivered: I figure in a few weeks, so I understand it is available. It is like the J1772 adapter: plugs into S, HPC plug plugs into adapter, short and sweet.

18. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Not sure if you were referring to the adapter as a charger, but it is really just a mechanical adapter device.
    The electrical signalling and power should be the same, so it is really just a device to get one physical connector shape to fit to the other.

For J1772 to ModelS they have a nice little ("stubby") adapter that is the minimal size.
    So far, with Roadster to Model S we have only seen adapter cables that are not as convenient as a one piece adapter would be.
    I am not sure if they will just make the cables, or if they will go to the extra effort to make a one piece (more compact) adapter device.
    The cables we saw so far have the Roadster/HPC end doing a nearly 90 degree bend, so we suspect they are just using the sockets from the Roadster parts bin.

19. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

It's been covered in other threads, so I won't detail it here, but if you take delivery in CA you'll pay CA sales tax. No exceptions.

20. AndyM

AndyM Member

Yes, bad idea, Greg. Instead, ask for a factory tour separate from the delivery of your car. Take advantage of OR's lack of sales tax. It's worth a lot.