Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Safety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the process of convincing my parents to reserve a next gen Roadster but they are unsure of the safety. I know there isn't any data or ratings yet but I thought some people here might have some opinions. I assume Tesla will stick with their top of the top safety as with their other cars but the issue my parents keep bringing up is if a small sports car is inherently more dangerous than any other Tesla vehicle. I think the obvious answer is yes, but is there data on Tesla's safety features or a better way to word my argument that will convince them it will be as safe a sports car as you can get? Thanks!

Well, they're not wrong that the sports car will (likely) not be as safe as say a Model S. That said, it will have more advanced and newer safety features as well so you're not exactly comparing apples to apples since the Model S is effectively a decade-old-design. There may be an update to the S/X that makes this a moot point mind you. That said, in a vacuum, a sports car will be less safe than a compact sedan which will be less safe than a full-size sedan that will be less save than a full size SUV that will be less safe than a semi, etc.

You're right in that Tesla makes the safest cars on the planet and it's not even close. The difference in safety between the Tesla Models is minuscule especially when you compare it to that of other ICE vehicles. It's really not even worth splitting hairs over between the lineup when they're all heads and shoulders above the competition. It's likely that the new Tesla Roadster will be safer than most well-known "safe" ICE vehicle sedan offerings once the dust settles. You also have to factor in things like Autopilot, shorter braking distances and better handling that can all work together to keep you from even getting in an accident in the first place.

After all, when it comes to the physics of impact it's hard to absorb frontal impact with 3-4in. of crumple zone whereas a Tesla has 3-4ft. This is echoed in the beefier side impact beams and all of the other aspects of a Tesla that is engineered to either avoid an accident or make the effects of said accident less impactful for the occupants. This has been and always will be the focus for Tesla and it won't change on the Roadster.

• Disagree
Reactions: HarleyW
Well, they're not wrong that the sports car will (likely) not be as safe as say a Model S. That said, it will have more advanced and newer safety features as well so you're not exactly comparing apples to apples since the Model S is effectively a decade-old-design. There may be an update to the S/X that makes this a moot point mind you. That said, in a vacuum, a sports car will be less safe than a compact sedan which will be less safe than a full-size sedan that will be less save than a full size SUV that will be less safe than a semi, etc.

You're right in that Tesla makes the safest cars on the planet and it's not even close. The difference in safety between the Tesla Models is minuscule especially when you compare it to that of other ICE vehicles. It's really not even worth splitting hairs over between the lineup when they're all heads and shoulders above the competition. It's likely that the new Tesla Roadster will be safer than most well-known "safe" ICE vehicle sedan offerings once the dust settles. You also have to factor in things like Autopilot, shorter braking distances and better handling that can all work together to keep you from even getting in an accident in the first place.

After all, when it comes to the physics of impact it's hard to absorb frontal impact with 3-4in. of crumple zone whereas a Tesla has 3-4ft. This is echoed in the beefier side impact beams and all of the other aspects of a Tesla that is engineered to either avoid an accident or make the effects of said accident less impactful for the occupants. This has been and always will be the focus for Tesla and it won't change on the Roadster.
BS, there are numerous vehicles with a 5 Star crash rating, same as Tesla.

Reactions: HarleyW

This was all very well said! Thanks so much! They are definitely worried that the Roadster won't have as much front crumple room as a MS or M3, but I believe the safety of the driver and the safety features built into the car can combat that.

A car with a sub 2 second 0-60 and ROCKETS on it. They are concerned about safety?!
:rolleyes:
We wouldn't get the SpaceX package :p

I am in the process of convincing my parents to reserve a next gen Roadster but they are unsure of the safety.

How long do you think that the Roadster brand would last if, the same day as it launched, that someone died?

Elon is going to drive the car himself (sometimes) - do you think he will short change his own life?

If you look at the car, it is exactly the same as the Model 3 and Model S, except that the aerodynamics are changed, the battery might be larger, motors better quality, and there is a smaller rear seat.

So the safety is going to be the same or better than the Model 3/S.

In my opinion, the safety of the roadster isn't about the safety features of the car. It's unlikely that someone will crash into you. The skill level of the driver is more important in this case. The roadster is a supercar and if you are not used to that much power than you're more likely to crash it yourself.

Also now with everyone wanting to be on youtube there will be some not so smart people trying to impress their friends and/or girls they like. I'm guessing the first person that crashes a roadster, hopefully lives, will get viral.