Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster sales - Tesla business model profitable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The math just doesn't work for Tesla when the backlog of deposits are caught up. Unless Tesla is bringing in 30 new deposits per week, which I doubt in this economy, they will be caught up by the end of 2009.

Lamborghini has 100 dealer locations as a sales channel for their 2,000 cars per year.

Ferrari has 200+ dealer locations as a sales channel for their 6,000+ cars per year.

Tesla has 2 dealer locations and perhaps a handful of new locations planned for 2009. I think between 6 to 8 locations are in the works for Miami, New York, Chicago, Seattle, and the two existing locations in California. There will likely be a couple in Europe.

So my question is, how does Tesla maintain that momentum (30 to 40 per week) with such a limited sales channel of locations? Lamborghini has 100 dealers they can send cars to. Ferrari has 200 dealers to handle this. These dealers each have their own floor financing to buy cars and have on the showroom. So Lamborghini and Ferrari are already paid when the cars ship to their dealers. The dealers carry most of the risk of unsold inventory. The dealers have the carrying costs of financing their floor inventory.

Tesla is not building that model. Tesla owns the sales locations. Tesla could get buried in unsold inventory VERY quickly.

In Seattle (Sept 2008), Darryl Siry mentioned that a sales location won't make sense with only the Tesla Roadster. They also need the Model S to have enough volume for a showroom location to make sense financially. But that was before the Model S was delayed even further and before the $9 million in the bank crisis. Also they did not raise the $100 million they were expecting and the IPO market died.

So here is my question (Siry?). Have they even thought this far in advance? How does Tesla plan to handle this in late 2009 when the backlog is caught up? There is no dealer sales channel to share the risk of inventory carrying costs. And there is no Model S that can justify the costs of Tesla going solo and building dealer showrooms.

I think Tesla will need partners to expand their sales channel quickly. I believe that Tesla will have to find local dealers in all of the major cities and allow them to sell the Roadster as part of their inventory.

You read it here first.

Last edited:
You are not wrong... But I don't know that that is the whole picture either.

The Roadster is not where Tesla has its sights. The Model S will really be where it is at. They plan to sell around 10 times the number of Model S cars as the Roadster. That will justify their sales channel, when it comes to pass. However, you are very correct - the delay in the Model S means they have a lot of overhead to bridge until it comes out.

For the immediate term and possibly intermediate term, I believe they plan to have in-store "inventory" of the Roadsters be the VPs. Even after they get through their backlog, I expect the majority of their Roadster sales to be build to order. The Model S, they will need inventory, but before that is out, I expect the "sales" offices to not carry much inventory that is not either a not-for-sale VP, or an already-sold car.

I am assuming until the Model S comes out all of the "sales" offices will really be service centers which happen to showcase a few cars.

They will also be supplementing their revenue with the drive train business and the BlueStar eventually. Those will both be with partners where they do not need a sales office - but will, in effect, be able to help shore up the sales/service centers as showcases for their technology and brand.

Last edited:
You're assuming that Tesla's current sales rate will remain flat as they work through their backlog and increase production rates.

That seems very unlikely to me. I think it's genuinely possible that demand will "snowball" as more and more rich Tesla owners are giving their rich friends rides.

I think the biggest thing holding Tesla back right now is the delay between order and delivery... 12 months is a very long time to wait for a product from a young company. Shortening that delay could lead to quite a boost in sales, especially as you get closer to an "impulse buy" time frame. After that, I agree that a lack of sales facilities is a limitation; they could sell a lot more if they could offer more test drives... but this is relatively easy to fix.

-Ryan

And I'm pretty sure, when they get their European shops/service centers up and running selling 1000 a year shouldn't be that hard, how many Vipers are sold each year? And that from a producer with as uncertain a future as Tesla at least.

Cobos

O'Brien: Nine predictions for Silicon Valley in 2009 - Mercury News

O'Brien: Nine predictions for Silicon Valley in 2009

7 Tesla will turn off the lights. Here's the biggest exception to the green revolution trend. Tesla is a bold, ambitious idea that is going to get squashed by the economic tidal wave. Someone is going to figure out how to turn electric cars into a viable business, and it won't be anyone working in Detroit.
Unfortunately, it won't be Tesla, either, because the San Carlos company will get lost in the shuffle as the government bails out the old automakers.

I'd hope not as I'm pretty sure there is money to be made in building the car. Money I'd rather see Tesla get than some external contractor. Especially since that kind of deal will make the margins smaller on the Model S, and I want it cheap when the competition hits. Not Tesla going belly up.

Cobos

Yes, but it may be a way to get market quicker (which they need to do). Then when things pick up again (and the product is a proven winner), they can raise the money to build the factory and move production in house.
Perhaps then model #3 (which was announced to be built by a 3rd party) will arrive before model #2. I would like to see them go ahead with the central campus and factory in San Jose, at least when the time is right. If Tesla is ever to become more than a minor player, at some point they'll have to do their own manufacturing.

The success of model #3, however, is likely predicated on battery advances (including lower cost) expected in the next few years, and the establishment of Tesla as a brand (through the success of model #2 (Model S)).

Last edited:
And because the roadster costs $109,000, the company only has to sell about 1,000 per year to break even, Musk said.

1000 a year is around 20/week (more assuming the line won't run every week) which is still slightly higher than they are producing today. In theory there would be a ramp up to their 30 or 40/week to get rid of the backlog, and then they would have to back off to 20/week if only that minimum goal were achieved.

Unfortunately, it won't be Tesla, either, because the San Carlos company will get lost in the shuffle as the government bails out the old automakers.

I don't get this. Tesla needs bailout money just to survive? I don't think so.
Last I heard they only need to sell 1000 roadster per year to survive. Analytics ...