Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Service E-Mail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we can agree that $26,300 is a low ball offer, but I am not sure that your suggested $105,200 reflects its true value in the market today. For example, a 3.0 just went at auction for $40,000.

I would expect Tesla to offer a trade in price slightly under what the car could be sold at in the open market. Something similar to what carfax would offer (because in reality they are probably going to just flip it to someone like carfax). $50,000?

Tesla trade-in prices seem to be under auction prices. Here in WA I got 2 trade-in offers on Tesla cars and 2 for non-Tesla, they all seemed to be about 10% below auction/wholesale value (the price they give you without even seeing your car, with the "as long as the car doesn't have some major issue like a missing wheels, engine, doors, or something" stipulation). Funny thing, there is 10% sales tax on cars where I live, so if I sold it to an auction I would get the same money as selling to Tesla at 10% less but getting a sales tax credit of 10%. Possibly coincidence, but could just be a calculated decision. Oh, and one time they told me they would do a trade-through, as long as I find a licensed dealer to buy my car, but once I actually found that dealer, they backtracked on their offer by saying "sorry, we gave you wrong information, we don't do trade-throughs".

From all my Tesla dealings (bought 4 new Model S), I got a very distinct impression that Elon/Tesla really don't care to deal with trade-ins, Tesla or not. They started doing it after Elon discovered that people don't just throw their old cars away like phones (maybe like Elon does cars), so it's a necessary part of selling cars. In the early days Tesla didn't do trade-ins at all, for my first Tesla the sales people just told me to sell it on my own, though they could refer me to a wholesaler if I wanted. Their prices today seem to be set for wholesaling the car and taking a 10% cut for the trouble.

Last edited:
yeah, my car isn't in my Tesla Account yet. the person at the other end of the email said it is added in the system (prior email to what's pasted below), but would take 7-14 days (!) to propagate to the My Tesla account! must be using the Pony Express or something . . .

and i wonder who are the experts you can speak to/

-----
Hello Andrew,

Please use this email, [email protected], to schedule Service appointments, get status updates, request parts or speak with an expert. Note that this channel only services Roadsters and you should continue to use the Tesla app for all other Tesla cars.

Would you like me to have a Service Center reach out to schedule an appointment?

Regarding seeing Roadster in your My Tesla account, these changes reflect within 7 to 14 business days after the request has been made, which in your case was on Friday the 1st. If these changes are not reflecting in your account after that timeframe, please feel free to email us.

I just checked my account and my Roadster has been added:)

Attachments

• A9ABEC95-BA06-4941-B69E-BDA563CD5D17.jpeg
    A9ABEC95-BA06-4941-B69E-BDA563CD5D17.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: drewski
Anyone heard anything related to new batteries being made from the new line? I would think that they must have something available soon if they are ramping up service for the roadster, either related to the supposed new 3.0 coming out or just making the original batteries again as well. Can’t do much service on a car that can’t move

Meanwhile, I didn't get the email, have no intention to sell my Roadster, but I need service on it, so I'll just send my request to [email protected] and see what happens. :)

No answer after 10 days... I guess they're only interested in trade-ins, not in service. Oh well, back to the old strategy... showing up in person at the service center.

(And I never got the email even though my Roadster is in my Tesla account.)

Last edited:
Reactions: AtAge19
I think my F5 button is broken. Nothing here yet.

Assuming it's a real service, I tried sending them a "need help from an expert" email regarding my 1146 errors, asking for a way to distinguish my errors as being from the the PEM connector contacts going bad, fan motor needing replacement, or simply a false positive. It's been a week as of today, no response (not even an acknowledgment that they received it). I'll send a follow-up request for any sort of human connection tomorrow.

Well I think this is a joke as they are offering LESS than I just paid for the 3.0 battery.

Hello David,

I hope you’re having a terrific day! I wanted to update you and let you know that our trade in team came back with an offer of $26,300 for your Tesla Roadster.

Please let me know if you’d like to move forward with this offer. Alternatively if you would like to try and sell the vehicle yourself there is always that option. Otherwise you can trade in with us to ensure you do not have to worry about trying to sell it before your Tesla is ready for pick up.

I told them NO WAY and that such an offer was just an insult.
Well Tesla got back to me with a revised quote of $47,000. Again I said thank you but I still thought that was way too low for a well kept Roadster with a 3.0 battery still under warranty. If they cross $70k I may bite. Do you think I am being unrealistic for a 1.5/3.0 with many options including Sound Reductions 1&2, hard top and even a hitch for a bike rack?