Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Service E-Mail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received mine moments ago. Original owner 2011.
Just received the email. A delight to read. Reads as if Elon has heard us and is doing exactly the right thing, I am 2nd owner, purchased a garage queen with very low miles in 2015. Car now has just under 6K miles on it and the battery has a CAC of 157 thanks to low miles and careful battery care. I have a new Model 3 Performance but opted to keep the Roadster - happy with that decision now. With access to parts and service for the Roadster I can keep it in like-new condition. Game-changer if they can follow through and I expect they will. Hats off to Elon! Model 3 is AWESOME but there is nothing, nothing, NOTHING like the original Roadster - both as a vehicle, and as living history and a true inflection point.

Replied confirming ownership and set up an annual maintenance visit. In Dallas the mentioned separate facilities are not the case, which is fine with me -- you have your pick of Dallas or Plano locations. After hand off and booking they emailed me an e-sign doc for $600 annual service. So I guess $6k minimum for a decade to see how many of us make it to any sort of collectible scarcity. Not that I'm complaining -- this is all entertainment value from here.

I responded to the email asking about battery and battery component availability.

If they recognize that they need to better support Roadsters, I can think of nothing more pertinent than support for the ESS. Everything else on the car can, for the most part, be repaired or replaced without support from Tesla. Even the PEM is serviceable by a few service providers, but the battery is the tricky thing. That's where we really need Tesla's help.

My car is currently unusable because of an intermittent sheet error. It's probably a failing rivet connection on a sense line on one of the bricks. I could have it fixed, at a significant cost (it's labor intensive) but there are many of these riveted connections in the battery, all of which, presumably, are at the same failure risk.

At this point I'd seriously consider a full battery replacement if one were still available.

Reactions: dhrivnak
First annual service . . . is 7 miles typical to put on during the service?!? :eek:

There is a solution for that problem. It'll require great sacrifice on your part.

The key to the solution is to drive your Roadster more. I recommend twisty, windy mountain roads. Preferably deserted, or at least ones where the traffic is in your rear view mirror (and will then quickly disappear to leave the rear view free of clutter).

Much more driving of twisty windy mountain roads is my prescription for that problem.

There is a solution for that problem. It'll require great sacrifice on your part.

The key to the solution is to drive your Roadster more. I recommend twisty, windy mountain roads. Preferably deserted, or at least ones where the traffic is in your rear view mirror (and will then quickly disappear to leave the rear view free of clutter).

Much more driving of twisty windy mountain roads is my prescription for that problem.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

The Test Drive during the Annual Service put 7 miles on the car which seems more than would be needed?

Did the techs go for a joy-ride? or am I just paranoid (maybe both) :oops:

Original owner of 2011 Roadster 2.5 #1303. 55K miles, used as a daily driver for 8.5 years, I got to work with a smile on my face every day.

I got the email in mid-november. I asked for a quote. Tesla offered $48.4K cash or credit. I bit the bullet and accepted the cash offer. The model 3 is awesome but I don't want a touchscreen. I like my knobs and buttons.

The buyback process has been bumpy. Communication was somewhat inconsistent. Written terms were not provided until the second time I asked, and then only via email from the ownership loyalty associate.

They had me return the car using their existing lease-end process. I had to turn in the car, sign over the title and then sign a "tesla credit" form because, as the associate explained, Tesla does not have a buyback policy. They told me the check should come in 2-4 weeks, which would be 1-3 weeks from now. Communication remains inconsistent.

It was difficult to turn in a car and sign over its title without receiving a check in hand. I don't think they want to screw anyone over, but large corporations tend to be bad at rare transactions. It will be a hassle if they don't send me a check, or if they mistakenly process a credit instead of cash.

I'll update this thread after receiving the check (or not!), to better inform other owners who might be considering taking the buyback.

• Informative
Reactions: drewski
Now if you had just held onto the Roadster, you wouldn't be in this situation ;)

Kidding aside, hopefully you'll get your $$$ and be back in a Tesla soon. FWIW, #1303 is apparently still in SD as noted here so perhaps that's a sign?

giphy.gif

Has anyone received any substantive assistance through this new support channel?

I'm curious because my response to the email, asking about support for the two current problems with my Roadster, has gone unanswered.

I know they respond when you ask about selling the car to them. Is that all the email address is good for?

I haven't tried asking about service via the email yet as I haven't even received it. And I've also been trying to get 2 of the Roadsters added to my profile since May of this year. Even had a guy at my service centre try and get them added and still nothing. I did get a response once saying to send them all the paperwork and they'd process it in 3-5 business days. I responded very quickly to theat email and well......l that was a couple months ago, no response and no action taken. Sad to see that the email's message is not seemingly being followed through on. Hopefully things will change but for now I primarily get my Roadsters serviced by Carl in Seattle.

Reactions: AtAge19