Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster shopping: sturm und drang

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually that has been a problem with my Roadster - people who tailgate the heck out of me because they're trying to figure out what kind of car it is. The TESLA font is not the easiest thing to read. I usually let them do it for about two seconds and then power away from them.

Actually that has been a problem with my Roadster - people who tailgate the heck out of me because they're trying to figure out what kind of car it is. The TESLA font is not the easiest thing to read. I usually let them do it for about two seconds and then power away from them.

Must be a Canadian thing ;) Here in the states (at least I do) always have cars pulling up to my side, exactly in the blind spot and they just sit there gazing and admiring the Roadster. I then jettison away like you do after giving them a gander.

The Test Drive

Yesterday I took off and drove to San Antonio to check out the Fusion Red car there. I went with some misgivings, as I'd been looking at the photos online and wasn't thrilled with some of the details that I saw -- but it was a chance to get some hands-on time with a Roadster and take a test drive, which I'd never really done before.

And what a day I picked for this! After making my way through 160 miles of freezing rain, I finally got to examine the car. I've got to say, it's better than the small and poorly-lit photos online had led me to expect. Fusion Red is a bright, vivid color, and the car looks good. (And it does have that protective clear plastic material applied to the nose and various other parts of the body.) The wheels are shiny, either chromed or high-polished, but they look better than I had expected from the photos. I had been concerned about some modifications that the original owner had done to it. It does have the carbon fiber lower door sills that I personally would not have put on there, but those could be easily vinyl wrapped. The vent hoods sticking up on top of the dash aren't that obtrusive once you're sitting in the car, and the dash around them appeared to be leather-wrapped. The Kenwood head unit is connected to a back-up camera, to my surprise.

None of us could figure out the "mystery gauge" on top of the dash. I thought it was an added speedometer, but it only flashed seemingly random 0 and 1 and 2 numbers while I was driving. So... It's either something else, or it's a broken speedometer.

As far as I could tell, the battery seems to be in good shape. It wasn't fully charged, but the numbers shown on the display looked about right to me. They also have a J1772 adaptor with it, I noticed.

There were a couple of minor glitches. They don't have the valet key, they don't have the PIN code, and there's an error code for a tire inflation sensor that probably just needs to be cleared. They said they are going to have Tesla check it over and correct any issues they find. I didn't get the impression that this was a "problem car" at all. It's just a slightly eccentric car, and I was actually tempted. Keep in mind, this was the first time I got to examine one closely and take it for a spin, so I was trying not to become too giddy or dazzled. :)

I once checked out a Lotus Elise, but that was years ago, and I had forgotten just how awkward it is to get in and out -- especially with the hard top on. On the other hand, the crummy rear visibility isn't as crummy as that of my old Esprit!

And the test drive... Others have said this, but yes, it really is a bit like driving in low gear all the time, except that I could go faster and faster, and the car was happy to do that. The regen seemed perfectly natural to me. Unfortunately, I was perhaps a bit too nervous to get a proper, full impression during my brief spin -- flying down a cold-and-damp expressway in traffic while the sales guy crammed in next to me tried to figure out how to get some windshield defogger action going.

When I left, I told them not to hold it for me. That car is just not quite my style, and I think if I'm patient I'll find one that's a better match for me. I suspect somebody out there will love it, though.

Tony, regarding the Roadster PIN code, if you end up buying a car where you don't know the code (as was the case with the car you must looked at in San Antonio), PM me and I will tell you what the default code is, possibly the previous owner never changed it. That was the situation with the 1.5 I bought; the seller (a BMW dealership) didn't know the code, and even though I repeatedly asked them to contact the previous owner to get the code they just ignored my request. Bloody lazy BMW salesperson. So after driving the car I called Tesla and they gave me the default code, and it worked. The code in my car had never been changed from the factory default.

It sounds like the issues you discovered with that San Antonio car are pretty minor, though of course Tesla needs to check it out first. The seller really should have that done before advertising it! Of course they are hoping to avoid that expense so they are stalling.

The odd gauge in one of the dash vents is certain,y a puzzle.

The odd gauge in one of the dash vents is certain,y a puzzle.

Its a speedometer. That car is William3's Roadster who was the original owner. If you look at his profile and previous posts you'll see where he quickly confirms that its a speedometer. In another thread he comments on the CarbonOne CF sills as well as chroming the rims. It does appear the gauge is broken or has been disconnected from the speedo sending unit. There's a speedo output wire that's available via the radio harness. My original Blaupunkt unit utilized this line in order to automatically turn up the volume on the radio as the speed of the car has increased. Nice feature.

View Profile: William3 - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

Tony, I prefer the CF sills. I have the ones from Tesla. Reason being is that the stock ones are very brittle and are found to break over time. If you get to them before they break, you may be in luck. The issue appears to be an uneven area, I believe where a bolt makes arise in the sill. I and others use the sill as an area to plant their hand in order to get in/out of the Roadster. When planted in this spot, the sill cracks internally. If you add some double-sided tape around that area to make the rise more even and less of an air-gap that'll help prevent the issue. But I can put all my weight on the CF sills and never worry about them breaking or cracking.

On the Roadster, defrost is the following:
-Turn the knob on the heater control to defrost/direct airflow to the windshield
-Turn on both the heater button and AC button
-Turn fan to max setting

Lastly, when you're looking at the Roadsters it may be helpful to carry around a USB stick that's configured to allow the Roadster to dump logs. Bring along a PC that has the VMSParser on it, then parse the logfile to view the current CAC as well as the history of the pack.

Last edited:
...there's an error code for a tire inflation sensor that probably just needs to be cleared...

This seems to be a fairly common thing with Roadsters. TPMS errors can come and go even when the tires are properly inflated.
I am guessing that sometimes RF signals interference and the car gets a mis-reading and throws an error. It seems if you drive for a while the error may clear itself again.

This seems to be a fairly common thing with Roadsters.

Not common at all with the 1.5 Roadster. I know TEG knows this :)

Only time my TPMS acted up was from my own fanegalling with swapping out the front headlights, I pulled by accident on the pickup line above the front wheelwell. Knowing I was messing around in the front I reversed my tracks and pushed together any type of connection with a wire/plug and it resolved the issue. Otherwise I have 40k miles with not a single error thrown with the TMPS.

The system is more robust than the 2.x, another area where they reduced cost but tried to offer more with the tire learning.

Last edited:
Searching the forum for 'TPMS' turns up lots of threads.
For instance:
TPMS Failures and Cost

They appear to be all 2.x's. The 1.5 that had an issue just had some wheel work done so that's from someone monkeying around in there, not an error under normal driving circumstances. I've just not seen anyone complain about it nor have I had an issue. I'm always seeing posts with the 2.x needing to be reset with Tesla's expensive special tool that they don't sell anymore.

What I do see foresee are the batteries dying in the TPMS sensors of the 1.5, they're reaching their time. TPMS batteries have a lifespan of 5-7 years, my 1.5 was built in Apr 2009, so that's approx. 6 years and right in the middle of the deathspan. With that said we may start seeing the 1.5s TPMS's talking soon.

Last edited:
Last edited: