TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster Signature 250. Charge on public station

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Bert75, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Bert75

Bert75 New Member

Hello

I am about to purchase a Roadster Signature 250 with a car reseller. The guy is not an expert in Tesla and he cannot answer my questions. I am then trying on this forum.

Do you know if this model can be charged using Paris public network Autolib'? I can see everyday model S in charge but I want to be sure I can charge my future roadster on this network.

Thanks in avance for your help.

2. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

Assuming that the network in question uses the J1772 standard, yes, you can charge with it. You'll need an adapter, though. If the Roadster doesn't already come with such an adapter, contact @hcsharp about getting his "Can Jr" adapter.

3. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

4. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

#4 hcsharp, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    It looks like the Autolib stations have have a Type 1 (J1772) connector and a Type 3 socket for a Type 3 cable. That leaves you with a couple of options for a Roadster. You could purchase a CAN JR (Type1/J1772-to-Roadster adapter). But the majority of public charging stations in Europe are Type 2. For that reason you'd be better off to buy a CAN EU (Type 2-to-Roadster adapter) and a Type 3-to-Type 2 cable for Autolib use. The CAN EU would give you the freedom to travel almost anywhere in Europe and allows you to use the new 60/63A high-power stations.

Incidentally the Autolib web site says that their charging stations are compatible with "tous les modeles" of Tesla ("all models"). I don't trust such statements but it's probably true if you have the right adapter and/or cable.

• Like x 1
  5. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

Hmmm... I just realized, there's something funny here. There were only 100 Signature Roadsters. Maybe there were another 100 for Europe? Made after the first US regular 1.5s? I don't know...

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

USA got 100 "Signature 100" which were all 1.5s

Proper Europe production started later, and they got the "Signature 250", which included (I think) a mix of 1.5's and 2.0's.

sig250.jpg

• Like x 1
  7. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

This is exactly right, the OP should get this option.