Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster spare parts situation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From looking at borgwarnerdrive.pdf page 18, they make different gear sets for the transmission. Doing some math, the Roadster comes with the 8.3 gear reduction set. If you put in the 9.1 gear reduction set, you would lose about 11mph of top-speed, but you might get to 60mph a few tenths faster.

That would be fun to play around with. I'd be really worried loss in range efficiency when dropping the ratio since my R is my commuter. I'm certain it would be quicker in the 0-60 second times, but believe instead of having that sweet torque between 0-70mph (where it drops after that), it most likely would drop down to a 60 or 65mph ceiling for an early end of that sweet constant torque sweet spot which I want to grow not shrink. If you're using it to drag race, mostly in short sprints then it make sense or better yet, autocrossing. But for a commuter or long range transportation solution its not a good idea.

Last edited:
Well, it's true that the Model S motor is "simply" a scaled-up Roadster motor with liquid cooling. The design is reportedly otherwise essentially the same. So it's plausible that they could do that... but I'd be very surprised if there weren't some differences.

I think it will...I was told by a Ranger a few years ago that the footprint of the Model S motor was actually smaller than that of the Roadster...that being said, you couldn't just drop a Model S motor into a Roadster without doing some mods...

Assuming you meant motor :) ...

Hopefully one of our forum members has the dimensions of each handy and could do some sketchwork. I'm curious as to this feasibility (even if it's only an aftermarket adventure) as well.

Yes, I meant motor so added that word in. It was in the post you quoted too.

If it is possible without major structural modifications it might be a compelling upgrade.

The original quote was:

I had been told by my service center that the front motor for the Model X will be a Roadster motor. Perhaps that will extend the availability of Roadster motors at least.

So what he's saying is that the FRONT motor from the Model X (or AWD Model S) might be "the same" as the Roadster motor. It would be smaller than the main motor of the Model S/X.

Not sure I believe this statement though.

The original quote was:
So what he's saying is that the FRONT motor from the Model X (or AWD Model S) might be "the same" as the Roadster motor. It would be smaller than the main motor of the Model S/X.

Not sure I believe this statement though.

And this member posted:
I think it will...I was told by a Ranger a few years ago that the footprint of the Model S motor was actually smaller than that of the Roadster...that being said, you couldn't just drop a Model S motor into a Roadster without doing some mods...

So now I'm confused...is the upcoming Model X front motor smaller or larger than a Roadster motor? I would have thought it would be smaller, if the Model S motor really is smaller than the Roadster motor.

Having seen both on display at the Santana Row store, that is clearly wrong.

You are right, the footprint is smaller for the Model S(we are talking motor only), but only because of the air cooling fins and ductwork. The rotor in the roadster motor is much smaller. If Tesla were to liquid cool the roadster motor, the footprint could be made much smaller than the Model S motor.

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's why you replace the PEM, gearbox and motor with the Model S variants. Then you have a liquid cooled drive inverter, gearbox and motor. I've been meaning to measure the Model S drivetrain width on the Model S display, but it seems like the whole thing would fit in the Roadster if you just rotated the mounts by 90 degrees.

True, it would be a compelling upgrade, but we would still be left with the Achilles heel of air cooling...

That's why you replace the PEM, gearbox and motor with the Model S variants. Then you have a liquid cooled drive inverter, gearbox and motor. I've been meaning to measure the Model S drivetrain width on the Model S display, but it seems like the whole thing would fit in the Roadster if you just rotated the mounts by 90 degrees.

Even if it fits, you'd need a higher capacity HVAC system.

At that point you have removed your charger too... Would need to find a way to put a charger somewhere else in the vehicle.
Also, I think the PEM is tied into other systems in the car for torque limiting traction control. Would have to hope you could integrate the Model S inverter with that system too. And the Roadster pack may not be able to support the same current output as the Model S pack, so you may not be able to run the motor at full power.