Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster spare parts situation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Thank you David for this!

So what will happen with the roadster. I am sure that Tesla will supply replacement batteries for the roadster, but the production of the specific Panasonic cells has ended years ago! So what will they offer in say, 4 to 6 years when may be 1000 Roadsters need battery replacement?

- - - Updated - - -

The gearbox has arrived, the reflector, too. Now the car is in the shop. As it needs some paint because of the parking accident, it will take about 1 week to get it back. I only hope that the noise really came from the gearbox only and not from the motor, too!

Is getting parts also a big problem in the US? We have some discussions in the german forum. I'm waiting for 4 months for a new gearbox (because of a bad bearing), and have still no expected delivery date. Another forum member is waiting since september for a new PEM.

It is funny about the body parts. When I needed a front "fender" replaced, they took a while to find body parts. They said all the Roadster parts had been collected from around the country and moved to one warehouse—and it took them a while to find the parts in there (seriously?) The first one was delivered and was damaged, so they had to send a 2nd one. It came eventually and all was well. Back when I was buying the car in 2011, I asked about replacement body parts knowing this was a limited edition sort of car, and I was told that I didn't have to worry because even if they run out of body parts, they were saving the molds and could always make more. Hmm...

Gizmo74, why do you need to replace the gearbox because there's a bad bearing in it? It seems like you could remove the bad bearing and press in a new one. Is the gearbox case damaged? Here's a video that has footage of the gearbox being assembler.

You're right. If I had to pay for the repair I would try this, if there is a company that will do it. I think it's not that easy to find one. In my case it's a warranty repair, so tesla is replacing the gearbox.

Gizmo74, why do you need to replace the gearbox because there's a bad bearing in it? It seems like you could remove the bad bearing and press in a new one. Is the gearbox case damaged? Here's a video that has footage of the gearbox being assembler.