Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Torque (Is Wikipedia wrong?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andrew Wolfe

Roadster 472 - S 440
Jun 20, 2011
Los Gatos, CA
Wikipedia says that 1.5 and 2.0 roadsters only puts out 200 lb-ft of torque. They have some reasonable sources. My electronic manual, which seems to match my 1.5, says 277 lb-ft. My VDS reliably reports over 280.

Can anyone verify the most reliable numbers? Was the 200 a remnant of the 2-speed transmissions?

I asked the same question and somebody replied that the 200 lb-ft listed on Wiki and many other sources is the spec of the 1.0 roadster which could hit the 3.9 second mark because it had 2 speeds. However, the only way to achieve 3.9 seconds with one speed was to significantly increase the torque, so they made some changes to increase the torque. FYI, my #311 1.5 says 281 lb-ft when I floor it, but not sure how accurate the gauge is. Seems like lots of sources continue to quote that original 200 lb-ft spec.

I just happened to read an old car magazine article from 2010 about the Roadster and it quoted the Roadster as 288 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque. And the Sport as 288hp / 295 lb-ft.

That's for the 2.0, so I know this isn't totally applicable to your question, but still good information.

I just happened to read an old car magazine article from 2010 about the Roadster and it quoted the Roadster as 288 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque. And the Sport as 288hp / 295 lb-ft.

That's for the 2.0, so I know this isn't totally applicable to your question, but still good information.
I don't believe they changed the motor with the 2.0. It should be the same as the 1.5.

No, they did change the motor and PEM and a whole lot between 1.5 and 2.0
But the specs of the base 2.0 are similar to the 1.5s. Much of the changes for 2.0 were to make it cost less (to Tesla) and easier to manufacture.

Reactions: dhrivnak