TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster trunk light won't turn off

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Timothy, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Timothy

Timothy Driving on Sunshine

In the last year for some reason I decided to start leaving the trunk open to help cool the PEM and battery when I put my 2011 2.5 Roadster in the garage. I plug the car in and the OVMS starts cooling and that runs for an hour and turns off. For months the trunk light went off properly after a while (not sure how long--never paid much attention) but now the trunk light stays on when I open the trunk. If I push the button to the left of the trunk, the light turns off properly as it does if I close the trunk. I don't think this is related to the OVMS or being plugged in as the same think happens if I just park the car and don't plug it in. And if I open the trunk in the morning and the car is cool and was not plugged in overnight--same deal.

Have any of you had this problem and figured out the cause and what to do about it?

I should mention I have an LED string in the trunk hooked up to the original trunk light which still works--but I don't think that has anything to do with it. (Thanks once again, Steve, a great improvement to visibility in the trunk at night!)

Timothy
    in Santa Barbara

2. jordanthompson

jordanthompson 2010 2.0 Sport, VIN 0683

I've noticed this also and I've also noticed that it goes out too... Have you tried playing with the cabin light switch? Dunno if this will help, but that's the only thing I can think of that I messed with that may have changed the behavior of the trunk light.

3. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

While my trunk light will eventually go off it sometimes is on for hours, especially at car shows. So I replaced the light with an LED so at at least remains cool and uses less energy.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

What LED type did you use? I want to do that.
    Has anyone replaced the cabin bulb with an LED?

5. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Sorry I can't remember. I think I purchased from SuperBriteLED.com and tried to match the existing bulb.

6. MileHighMotoring

I wouldn't recommend it. LED bulbs are a lot "sharper" and sort of painful to your eyes. I wouldn't want an LED bulb that close to my face.

7. Timothy

So, now that we have an official Service Center in Santa Barbara instead of the closest being 100 miles away, I decided to go by there for advice. The Tesla Service Center is incredible! I had that thought 5 days ago, didn't have time to go by, and now the truck light has worked perfectly ever since! Great customer service!!:tongue:

8. jordanthompson

jordanthompson 2010 2.0 Sport, VIN 0683

So what is 'perfectly'? I ask because I have forgotten

9. Timothy

So, 'perfectly' means the trunk light goes on when one opens the trunk, and then goes off by itself after a while even though the trunk stays open. My light had decided to stay on whenever the trunk was open and not go off after a while--until it healed itself!