Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster UMC Alternative

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I bought my CPO Roadster a few months ago, I was promised a UMC. I actually never received it. I took delivery in early 8/2013 and was told there was a "supplier issue" and that they would not be available until late 9/2013. They actually gave me a Roadster HPC instead, so I was totally fine with that. My understanding is that CPO's no longer come with UMC's.

I later bought a UMC on eBay and it turned out to be a non-working unit. I wasn't too happy about that, and I've since noticed the Roadster UMC has been sold out on at the Tesla Gear Store. There didn't seem to be too many mobile charging options for new Roadster owners.

Well, I ended up doing the Tony Williams Model S UMC to J1772 conversion and it works very well! I know Tony from our LEAF days. He's a big EV advocate. He really knows his stuff, is very thorough, and does great work.

Below are a few pics of the conversion in use with the Tesla J1772 adapter. This would be much better with Henry Sharp's can, but I bought the former before I knew about the latter. The converted Model S UMC is capable of up to 40 amps, but I plugged it into my existing NEMA 6-50 that my Blink EVSE uses and dropped it down to 30 amps.

Anyway, Tony's conversion is $650 for the Model S UMC + $135 for the 50 amp J1772 adapter + $200 for the service = $985 (+shipping). You still need a J1772 adapter. I think The CAN is $695 (the Tesla J1772 adapter looks sold out) so a total of $1680.

It's a little more than $1500 for the Roadster UMC, but since that's sold out and there are a lot more J1772 public charging stations, this is something to consider.

IMG_5448.jpg

IMG_5447.jpg

IMG_5446.jpg

Ditto...

Though, I've been doing that with TonyWilliams converted J1772 AND HCSharp's The CAN.

However, I have a 1.5, so was able to scrounge up a MC240 to work with the Roadster and just picked up a UMC on eBay that actually works (seller had ZERO feedback, but was local, so I took the risk.)

I am a new CPO owner as well, delivered from Portland to VA in October. I have had great luck talking to Erick, the Service Advisor in Rockville, and asking him for help. He called around and located a Roadster UMC and had it shipped to Rockville for free. My longwinded point is that we have an option to talk to the Service Centers for parts even though the website says sold out. I understand Sold Out to mean that they are no longer in inventory where they fulfill web orders, but that doesn't mean stock is zippy across the Centers. Just my observation thus far.

Thanks for sharing the conversion you did.. I may attempt that later. So far, I am happy charging at 240/30a at my office for free (for now).

If maximizing the ideal miles as reported by the Roadster is important to you, and you have the time to wait.

I suggest charging 110V at 12A.

So far, she gets

191 on 110V/12A
184-186 on 240V/30A on MC240
180 on 240V/40A

If maximizing the ideal miles as reported by the Roadster is important to you, and you have the time to wait.

I suggest charging 110V at 12A.

So far, she gets

191 on 110V/12A
184-186 on 240V/30A on MC240
180 on 240V/40A

From another thread:
I also would stay off 110V charging. I don't know why people rely on that, its just asking for the pack to become unbalanced and doesn't buy you anything long term. Only time I use 110 is when I don't have any other option to charge and with that I'm still sketched and make sure I balance my pack after that off of a 240v/30amp charge.

He called around and located a Roadster UMC and had it shipped to Rockville for free. My longwinded point is that we have an option to talk to the Service Centers for parts even though the website says sold out. I understand Sold Out to mean that they are no longer in inventory where they fulfill web orders, but that doesn't mean stock is zippy across the Centers. Just my observation thus far.

Good to know others looking for a UMC may have that option available! I had no idea.

However, one thing I'll add in favor of the route I ended up going is that it's still a little less expensive than getting a Roadster UMC for $1500 and then buying an additional J1772 adapter, which is what you'll likely need anyway at most public charging stations. Of course the Roadster UMC also doesn't require using that bulky and awkward Tesla J1772 adapter.

AEdennis, glad you were able to get a working one on eBay - I imagine for much less than $1500. Sadly, I ended up buying an expensive paperweight from a highly rated eBay seller.

Regardless, I'm really happy with the Tony Williams modification. The Model S UMC is very compact, fits easily in the small Roadster trunk, and the adapters for different outlets are very reasonably priced ($45 vs $100 for the Roadster UMC adapters). It will also easily work with other EV's, which is very useful in my household having a LEAF and Volt as well.

Regardless, I'm really happy with the Tony Williams modification. The Model S UMC is very compact, fits easily in the small Roadster trunk, and the adapters for different outlets are very reasonably priced ($45 vs $100 for the Roadster UMC adapters). It will also easily work with other EV's, which is very useful in my household having a LEAF and Volt as well.

That's the real beauty of this modification of the Tesla Model S UMC or "MC" to J1772. It can still be used with the Model S, since they all come with $95 adaptor for J1772 to Model S receptacle.

Guys are using them on every kind of EV with J1772.

IMG_2144.jpg

Includes lighting...

null-6-3.jpg

Last edited:
So you buy the Model S UMC, plug it into the J1772 and plug that into the roadster? Am I understanding correctly?

Buy the CAN from hcsharp.

That gives you a Roadster to J1772 port.

Then buy a Model S MC and drop ship that to TonyWilliams
Also order a high amperage J1772 Connector and drop ship that to TonyWilliams

Pay TonyWilliams to convert the Model S MC to J1772

He ships back the J1772 (formerly Model S) MC to you.

When you use the product.

You have to insert the CAN into the Roadster, plug the MC into your power, plug the J1772 to your Roadster (set the Amperage on the Roadster).

When done, stop the power from the VDI of the Roadster and unplug the J1772, unplug the Can, close the door... and have fun!

Got it! I think for now I'm gonna keep using my Roadster UMC. I already have a J1772 adaptor for the road when I need to charge at ChargePoint, etc. It sounds like a necessity for the future though!

It's not a necessity if you already have a UMC. It's a replacement for that.

I looked into making a Roadster UMC to sell as a replacement mostly because it would have some improvements over Tesla's UMCs (the biggest being long-term reliability). I made 2 for myself but concluded I couldn't sell them for $1,500 and make any money. Tony's solution is the best alternative and I like how he installs that LED in the center.

I use the J1772 as my "insurance" charger for the ActiveE and the Roadster... When I need to push the range. The UMC and MC240 stay at home... Too bulky. Besides, the adapters for this are so much cheaper and I can share with my unmodified Model S MC as well..

It's not a necessity if you already have a UMC. It's a replacement for that.

I looked into making a Roadster UMC to sell as a replacement mostly because it would have some improvements over Tesla's UMCs (the biggest being long-term reliability). I made 2 for myself but concluded I couldn't sell them for $1,500 and make any money. Tony's solution is the best alternative and I like how he installs that LED in the center.

I have named the Model S to J1772 conversion, "JESLA(TM)". I haven't had much time to work on my Roadster UMC project, but as you've concluded, cost wise... it will be tough.

The LED is no longer in the center, but is now in the top center, between the two power pins. Credit goes to PhilS for the idea. We power it from the 3.3vdc that's already there for the Model S charge port door remote transmitter, and hopefully I will be testing the new hardware that will go into future JESLA(TM)'s so that they can also pop open the Model S/X charge port door by pressing the release button.

Thankfully, I'm having a pretty good time doing these projects, and I'm glad so many folks appreciate the work, both here on the Tesla forum and in particular on the Rav4 EV forum where this modification idea was born.

I have named the Model S to J1772 conversion, "JESLA(TM)". I haven't had much time to work on my Roadster UMC project, but as you've concluded, cost wise... it will be tough.

The LED is no longer in the center, but is now in the top center, between the two power pins. Credit goes to PhilS for the idea. We power it from the 3.3vdc that's already there for the Model S charge port door remote transmitter, and hopefully I will be testing the new hardware that will go into future JESLA(TM)'s so that they can also pop open the Model S/X charge port door by pressing the release button.

Thankfully, I'm having a pretty good time doing these projects, and I'm glad so many folks appreciate the work, both here on the Tesla forum and in particular on the Rav4 EV forum where this modification idea was born.
By roadster UMC project, do you mean bringing back that smoked UMC back to life? If I remember right, it was Bonnie's old UMC. If so, was the contractor the part that was burned toast? If so, Tesla must use cheap contactors in the Roadster UMC also, just like they do in the Model S UMC.

Anyway, it's very cool for you to offer these modified cables to other EV drivers, as there really isn't much choice in mobile 40A charging cables.