Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Upgrades Page on Tesla Website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla sells an upgraded bezel which replaces the vents with the half vents (as seen on the double-din models).

2.5 Double Din Radio Bezel/surround for the NAV option.

it sounds like you cannot retrofit a 1.5 or 2.0 model with the 2.5 model double DIN setup. someone in this thread suggests a metal cross-member in the dash is in the way, and when i asked tesla about this as a possible upgrade to my 2.0 they said it was not available (though did not specify why.)

according to jake joseph at menlo park tesla "As regards to the DDin radio, sadly that retrofit is not available."

i'd be curious to understand how your friend got this done.

Its not "available" because its a lot of work, it is definitely possible to do just very time consuming and labor intensive.

Al & Ed's in West Hollywood ( AE54 ) does a double DIN conversion for 1.5s and 2.0s, as seen on Dr. Taras's car.

Al Eds Autosound unveils AE Edition Tesla 2.5 at CES | West Hollywood

They do lots of other things as well in that upgrade, including moving the speakers to the doors if you like. The air vents are not shrunk like in the stock 2.5 implementation, but are instead moved back onto the dash. I went by there yesterday and picked up some CF door sills, which are excellent. They installed them, but that simply meant pulling the existing ones off, which were held on by velcro, and pressing the CF ones into place. These are the ones available on eBay for $1,099, in all carbon - with no aluminum insert.

TESLA MOTORS CARBON FIBER DOOR SILLS FOR ROADSTER | eBay

- Chris

The Tesla CF door sills look pretty sweet. They told me after they delivered mine but you have a choice between executive leather insert (black I think but not sure if others are options) or silver. They didn't even ask me and delivered the black leather insert which I like a lot. You just have to ask them what the options are when you order.

The Tesla CF door sills look pretty sweet. They told me after they delivered mine but you have a choice between executive leather insert (black I think but not sure if others are options) or silver. They didn't even ask me and delivered the black leather insert which I like a lot. You just have to ask them what the options are when you order.

Where is this insert? Photo?

Here's a picture:
attachment.php?attachmentid=3571&d=1323129427.jpg

someone told me already but how do you make the picture you upload a bigger size than the thumbnail? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0615.jpg
    IMG_0615.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 933
Last edited:
I assume if you go silver it's the same as the standard sills? That area is the whole reason I want to ditch the standard sills. I get scuff marks from my show soles on that silver piece. I'm interested to hear how the leather holds up.

Here's a picture:

I've seen pictures without the insert. I'm not sure I'd want that. That's where your foot tends to drag across on entry.

someone told me already but how do you make the picture you upload a bigger size than the thumbnail? Thanks.

Click on it, copy the URL, and paste in using the Insert Image button (make sure to select URL and turn off "Retrieve remote file and reference locally").

attachment.php?attachmentid=3571&d=1323129427.jpg

I assume if you go silver it's the same as the standard sills? That area is the whole reason I want to ditch the standard sills. I get scuff marks from my show soles on that silver piece. I'm interested to hear how the leather holds up.

Yeah. I had the standard door sills with that silver area. I believe that's what the ranger was talking about but I didn't verify that with Tesla. I was told these are much more resistant to scratching so I hope that's accurate. They certainly look better.

The originator not the imitator!

it sounds like you cannot retrofit a 1.5 or 2.0 model with the 2.5 model double DIN setup. someone in this thread suggests a metal cross-member in the dash is in the way, and when i asked tesla about this as a possible upgrade to my 2.0 they said it was not available (though did not specify why.)
Two years ago, Al & Ed's-West Hollywood turned the Tesla-world on its head when it completed the interior redesign that would be the inspiration for the 2.5!
It can be done & by people who've done more aftermarket Teslas than probably all the other after marketers combined!
That included a double DIN radio and air vents that were moved onto the dash.
Notice also the FIRST carbon fiber door sills available for after market installation; ALL CF, no chintzy inserts!

My car was previewed at CES in Lost Wages in January, 2010:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/3617-Tesla-CES?p=40369&viewfull=1#post40369
2010_1_9-CES-LV%u002520014.jpg

They do lots of other things as well in that upgrade, including moving the speakers to the doors if you like
You are soooooo right! Al & Ed's Autosound is a misnomer because they do so much from painting your car, to changing the exterior & of course, as noted above, changing the interior.

If you can dream it, they can do it; if you can't dream it, but want someone to dream for you, they can do that too!
I saw them take a Rolls DropHead, put a 4 bottle wine chiller and cigar humidor in the trunk!
In a Bentley for a Professional Poker Player they put a secret thin automated tray safe openable by a thumb print reader so he could store his jewels and cash!

They do plenty of STARS but they do Teslas for LESS than you'd think because they are passionate about EVs! Ask for Elie!
Here is some more info on what they've done and some other satisfied customers from earlier posts:
TMC: Customized Roadsters

Last edited by a moderator:
Skid Guards: Cure for the Front End Driveway Rash

The newest customization that Al & Ed's - WeHo has done for me are Skid Guards: Cure for the Front End Driveway Rash!
3/8" ABS plastic. Elie said: "This provides the perfect balance of flexibility that is needed when you are scrapping and rigidity to protect the bumper from cracking."
photo1.JPG
photo3.JPG

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, Happy New Year & Happy Festivus! :rolleyes: