Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster v2.X Side Trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I added a Side Trunk to my Roadster today, yielding a massive 290 cubic inches of additional storage for a measly $16.49 (that's more than 17 cubic inches per penny!):

Side-Trunk.jpg

Order here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057XGC52

Right now it's stuck on with two pieces of double-sided foam tape. Even if it comes loose, there's no-where for it to go. It just fits width-wise with enough room to swing the latches up. And, it only comes in orange.

(Sorry about the Musk-esque hyperbole)

Would have been cool if the original design of the Roadster had been pushed forward and we were able to use the area where the PEM currently sits as a place to store things. Nice idea but the dust and dirt may be a problem?

I added a Side Trunk to my Roadster today, yielding a massive 290 cubic inches of additional storage for a measly $16.49 (that's more than 17 cubic inches per penny!):

I wish I could do things as cheaply as you. If I were to take on this project, I would probably spend closer to 5.7 cents per cubic inch.:wink: Or is that what you meant by "Musk-esque" hyperbolie? Kind of like you can lease a Model S for $500 per month?

Are you at all worried about the weight deflecting the wheel well so that it might stick out more on the sides and interfere with the trunk lid? That wheel well plastic always felt so flimsy to me.

:wink: Kind of like you can lease a Model S for $500 per month?

Give the man a cigar for recognizing a combination of real information, marketing pitch, and fuzzy math.

Are you at all worried about the weight deflecting the wheel well...

I'm not worried - the plastic is pretty rigid due to the way it's shaped (it's curved and has ridges), and I'm not going to be putting anything heavy in there anyway. Its only 2.85 quarts of capacity, after all.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I don't understand how this side trunk fits on the Roadster.

Pop open your trunk (boot) and look to the left of the PEM. Above the left rear wheel there is space. I just put a plastic container with a sealable lid in there.

Order here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057XGC52

Right now it's stuck on with two pieces of double-sided foam tape. Even if it comes loose, there's no-where for it to go. It just fits width-wise with enough room to swing the latches up. And, it only comes in orange.

(Sorry about the Musk-esque hyperbole)

It is not OEM so I'm not sure if Tesla will service it. LOL