Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Value: Collectibility, Originality, Rebuilt Roadsters and potential for Continuation Cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In UK Autocar (normally v snippy about tesla - who unlike their favourites do not advertise ).
9068b351-523a-4f0a-bf07-932caeb7958c.jpg

I’ll take that 😆

.......... even if 3sec slower on track than a 300kg lighter rare supercharged EliseSC on 5th gear Recharged ...
(ICE racing drivers and trad autos journos really dont like new stuff and especially not EV's .. giving up a whole lifetime of experience of matching (limited) torque and noise to speed :cool:)

.... I must say I DO love Elise handling & weight - Its why I wanted the same but without noise and hassle aka my white 'Toaster' :D
Having tracked both, I'd say a Toaster matches a standard (lighter) elise, (for 3 laps before motor get too hot), the glorious steering is the same, but I'd trade the extra 300kg of battery for less range.

I guess Elon couldn't do that in 2008 as cynic journos would laugh at 'only' 100m range. Elon Won !!!!
Screenshot 2023-02-22 141008.jpg

Here is the Magazine - (as someone on the Roadster FB group pointed out) It might be useful for valuations, claims etc View attachment 910092View attachment 910093
Oh wow, good to see! The EU’s roadster market was behind North America’s (NA) evaluation in recent years; but, it seems that demand has increased and it has eclipsed NA moving sales average as noted here.

~~~~I recommend all of you insure all Roadsters for a stated value of 150k. I just appraised 14 of the cars that burned and then negotiated a few settlements. I appraised and then negotiated to $137,500 for a 2.5 sport and $119,000 for a 2008 with 60,000 miles on it. There are others but the insurance companies have used me as an expert since 2013.
I really appreciate this tidbit as it aligned with my thinking as well. I have State Farm for insurance and my agent told me to ensure I have a recent appraisal to ensure I get this value if something were to happen to my roadster. Does anyone have recommendations on how they've gotten this kind of appraisal since these roadsters are so few and far between? I don't feel I can use just any appraiser.

I'm also curious by your statement, "insurance companies have used me as an expert since 2013" - does that mean you have been providing appraisals? Or just offering advice to insurers on value? I suspect I'll need to get updated appraisals every year and would like a more straightforward way to ensure my car is valued appropriate in the event of calamity!

Any and all insights would be appreciated!!

Mike #633

I really appreciate this tidbit as it aligned with my thinking as well. I have State Farm for insurance and my agent told me to ensure I have a recent appraisal to ensure I get this value if something were to happen to my roadster. Does anyone have recommendations on how they've gotten this kind of appraisal since these roadsters are so few and far between? I don't feel I can use just any appraiser.

I'm also curious by your statement, "insurance companies have used me as an expert since 2013" - does that mean you have been providing appraisals? Or just offering advice to insurers on value? I suspect I'll need to get updated appraisals every year and would like a more straightforward way to ensure my car is valued appropriate in the event of calamity!

Any and all insights would be appreciated!!

Mike #633
Not sure why I just saw this. Most insurance companies have contacted me since 2013 about values, I also write appraisals for owners that seem to be accepted. One company wanted me to get certified, but all others accepted my process. I collect miles, color, carbon, options, and condition vin and write it up. I am doing two right now both sig cars. I would get certified if it wasn't a ridiculous process, most of which shows me how to find comps, a proper inspection, etc. I could have taught the class, so I excused myself. I didn't have a week to sit there and listen to his stories. So far, all of my appraisals have been honored.

I will write them for N/C as long as people are patient. Typical fees for this are around $350-$750. It helps me as an owner and everyone else. So, I feel N/C is the honest route. Take care of how things look, and you take care of how things are.

I had a car in my shop that the owner was going round and round with his insurance company. The insurance company called me to ask about the car's value, gave me the vin, etc. I said you do realize I have this car in my possession, expecting the guy to exit the call. Instead, he said, Oh good, can you look it over and tell me what it is worth? Honesty wins in the end, as I have zero credibility issues with them.

Last edited: