Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't realize our roadsters had Sentry Mode so I had to have BlackVue installed instead.

Attachments

• upload_2020-5-31_9-21-52.jpeg
    upload_2020-5-31_9-21-52.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 65
  • upload_2020-5-31_9-21-52.png
    upload_2020-5-31_9-21-52.png
    121.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Funny
Reactions: jason.tv
The roadster cost "$300,000" to make? Seriously?

possibly. not clear what the calculation used to arrive at that figure.

if those were early prototypes, and Tesla's development costs until that time over 8 cars . . . who knows -- then those costs are spread over the ~2.5k production cars will lower the cost to make each car.

or is it the cost average for the ~2.5K? then i'd agree with your "Seriously"

Last edited:
The roadster cost "$300,000" to make? Seriously?

Project Dark Star Prototypes :eek: before they can manufacture the car in assembly production. Have you seen those wheels and blue color before? Look at the shark fin type panel on the lower rocker panel behind the front wheel and the shark fin running down the rocker panel to the back wheel.

Also the development going into the car; say those airbags alone; they probably developed the airbag deployment system themselves when they could of easily used any manufacture to provide for them, They could of gone the easy route on a lot of things like this is what makes these Tesla's extremely special.

You can see how proud he is of the air bag deployment system alone; this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bunnak
Also the development going into the car; say those airbags alone; they probably developed the airbag deployment system themselves when they could of easily used any manufacture to provide for them, They could of gone the easy route on a lot of things like this is what makes these Tesla's extremely special.
No, the airbags are straight from the Lotus Elise, along with a bunch of other components in the cockpit. Tesla was piggybacking on the waiver that Lotus had for these airbags which were not the newer generation of "smart" airbags. The expiration of that waiver was one of the factors that determined the end of sales of the Roadster in the US.