TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roadster VIN list

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by DanielFriederich, Oct 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Stefan T

Stefan T Member

My is #481 EU and it's a 2,5

2. Jonathanm

Jonathanm Member

Well thats a bit of a relief then - but it seems to go against all the data viewed on line concerning numbering of 1.5's, 2.0's and 2.5's....?

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#43 TEG, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    Congratulations!

Yes, all the chatter here about the "VIN being too low to be a 2.5" were based on most people here being used to the North American VIN ordering.

Digit 10 being "B" indicates that it is a 2011 model, which puts it in the right timeframe to be a 2.5...

( North American Roadsters with B in digit 10 started at NA#1170... )

( 2.5 for Europe started around EU#0283 )

• Like x 1
  4. Jonathanm

Jonathanm Member

Thanks for your reply - all good then - just have to wait for next weekend to go and pick it up! Can't wait! Boys and their toys...

• Like x 1
  5. Kerios

Kerios Member

Adding to the list my Roadster is EU, #277, it says it's a 2.5, but it's actually a 2.0

6. snd92

snd92 Member

My Roadster Sport 2.0, Signature 250, 2010 (built nov 2009), #117, insane green

• Like x 1
  7. DrivingTheFuture

What made you ask about this particular vin?

8. DrivingTheFuture

Do you know where 858 is now?

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

• Informative x 2
  10. DrivingTheFuture

11. gregd

gregd Active Member

Also note the battery was really low at the time the picture was taken. Hope they got it plugged in, or potentially there's a 900 lb brick in the back. If nothing else, the low state of charge might have caused some added stress on the system. Between that and the accident, definitely have a service center give it a full checkup before committing to it. I presume the car has an otherwise clean title. If it's a salvage, run away.

• Informative x 2
  12. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

Does anybody know the VIN or any details about the Roadster launched into space yesterday? I'm assuming since VIN 001 was black, this was a different one (probably a 2.0 or 2.5), and Elon still has VIN 001 somewhere.

13. DeedWest

DeedWest 2010 Roadster 2.0 - VIN 523

It is VIN 686. Originally a 2.0, and likely upgraded with most, if not all, 2.5 options including the front & rear fascias, Interior Double-DIN, etc.
    Here is a photo before it was upgraded.

638F565E-5699-49C1-A516-311B85CD85CF.jpeg

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  14. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I think people referred to those as "2.25s" (2.0s updated to the 2.5 look).

I heard that Roadster had been repainted multiple times before they got the color "just right".
    Here was an earlier picture of the same car:
    P0686-5YJRE1A34A1000686-autoshow.jpg

• Like x 1
  15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Also, when it was parked in the Fremont service center lot:
    P0686-service.png

• Like x 1
  16. backmost

backmost Member

On various news articles they describe his Roadster as cherry red, that color seems a little different radiant red and fusion red. Unless the pictures don't do the color justice?

17. DeedWest

DeedWest 2010 Roadster 2.0 - VIN 523

It was a deeper, richer color than Radiant Red - despite looking very similar in certain lighting.
    I also believe there were two examples of this color; the other was given to the head of Toyota as a gift toward the end of Roadster production. I believe it’s on display in Japan. @TEG?

18. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#58 TEG, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Yes, correct. The story was that Akio Toyoda was so enthralled by Elon's custom Roadster when he visited him in California, that he had Toyota invest $50m in TSLA (when they really needed it) and gave them "the deal of a lifetime" on the "NUMMI plant" (now "Tesla Factory").

As a return token of appreciation, Elon had a Japan spec Roadster painted in the same color and sent to Akio as a gift.

ToyoTesla.jpg

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  19. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I think "Midnight Cherry" may have been Elon's own term to describe the custom paint.
    Early sightings called it "Candy Apple Red" similar to some color old hot rodders used to like.
    I think calling it "Ruby Red" would make sense too.
    The closest official Tesla color may be the "Signature Red" offered to early Model S buyers.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. Mike75d

Mike75d Member

Here is a cool video from years ago of Elon driving his Roadster that was launched on Falcon Heavy