Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster VIN list

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, very helpful. What real range does your 138 CAC get you?
My Standard charge comes in at about 163 "Ideal" miles (about 262km) on the VDS display. Range mode runs that up to about 212 miles (341km).

By "real range", I generally don't run the battery down below about 30 miles or so (range mode), and with the charging opportunities outside of home and destination being limited, unpredictable (reliability and/or availability), and slow, charging stops usually end up being more frequent as a precaution. I don't usually take the car beyond the 220 miles to one of my family members homes, which involves an hour or so charging stop along the way. There's a place with reliable charging at 30 amps adjacent to a fast food restaurant at the 150 mile mark, which works out pretty well.

Others have considerably more experience in road tripping with the Roadster, demonstrating that extended travel is possible, if not common.

My 2010 2.0, built June 2009, has a CAC of 138. Charges to 161 in Standard Mode and about 211 in Range Mode.

my 2.5 has only 23k miles and CAC of 144. And my ideal miles are 168 on standard, 220 on range.

The worst for mileage is fast freeway driving - at a steady 85mph I can hardly do 150 on a range charge, 120 on standard.

Keeping it to 65 I have pushed 160 on regular and over 200 on range.

In City traffic and with a light foot you can beat ideal miles (my wife regularly gets the estimated miles to read much higher than ideal)

Interestingly spirited mountain road driving is easier on range than steady 85 on the freeway.

• Helpful
Reactions: DeedWest
Now, these numbers really help! I notice that the difference between normal and range mode is bigger then that in my MS (presumed I charge the battery up until the indicated max of the daily mode). The Roadster does, with the help of an adaptor, charge on a type 2 soccet (at least that's what its called here in Europe)? How does the charging speed compare to that of an MS? Is it more or less the same ? My MS has a dual charger, so I presume the Roadster might charge at half that speed (for everything above 16 amps)?

Now, these numbers really help! I notice that the difference between normal and range mode is bigger then that in my MS (presumed I charge the battery up until the indicated max of the daily mode). The Roadster does, with the help of an adaptor, charge on a type 2 soccet (at least that's what its called here in Europe)? How does the charging speed compare to that of an MS? Is it more or less the same ? My MS has a dual charger, so I presume the Roadster might charge at half that speed (for everything above 16 amps)?

I believe range mode unlocks 15% at the top end of the battery (by charging Fuller) and 10% at the bottom (by allowing to drain more) - so about an additional 25% capacity

I'm in the US - most public chargers here support roughly 6 kW (30A x 208 V) which equals adding about 30 mph or 6-7 hrs for a standard charge.

At a full 70A at 240V (roadster Max) a standard charge takes under 3 hrs.

I believe range mode unlocks 15% at the top end of the battery (by charging Fuller) and 10% at the bottom (by allowing to drain more) - so about an additional 25% capacity

I'm in the US - most public chargers here support roughly 6 kW (30A x 208 V) which equals adding about 30 mph or 6-7 hrs for a standard charge.

At a full 70A at 240V (roadster Max) a standard charge takes under 3 hrs.

Most of the public chargers here supply about 11 kW (3x16 A @240V). This will ad about 40-50 km/h in my MS. Some offer 22kW, loading about 100 km/h. Not sure what that will do in a roadster.

Most of the public chargers here supply about 11 kW (3x16 A @240V). This will ad about 40-50 km/h in my MS. Some offer 22kW, loading about 100 km/h. Not sure what that will do in a roadster.

It should do slightly better - the Roadster needs lower Wh/mile than the model S. In an S I regularly see 330-350 Wh/mi as opposed to 270-290 in the Roadster, so about 20% better "mileage"

At 20kW I get 70 mi/hr = 110 km/hr. So at 22kW you should get around 120km/hr (and 60 at 11). Which fits well with the 20% higher efficiency of the Roadster.

Definitely the most fun way to save energy. "I'm going to commute in the Roadster to save money. It's a sacrifice, but the rational thing to do" :-D

Yes. The classic Tesla Roadster is only capable of single phase charging.
That is new to me. I need to look at the home installation. With 3 X 25 A it's quite enough to get the MS up and running in time. That might be a different story for the Roadster, then... Hmm. Is there a way to overcome that (perhaps a kind of cable or charger that converts 3 phase into one more powerful phase)?

Reactions: TEG
I'm looking to upgrade the 110V outlet in my garage to a 240V. Do I need to install a wall connector/EVSE? I have the Model S UMC which has a NEMA 14-50 adapter. I was going to just install the outlet and hookup my cable which I've been doing with no issues thus far.

I'm looking to upgrade the 110V outlet in my garage to a 240V. Do I need to install a wall connector/EVSE? I have the Model S UMC which has a NEMA 14-50 adapter. I was going to just install the outlet and hookup my cable which I've been doing with no issues thus far.
The Model S UMC along with a CAN-SR adapter can work with the Roadster just fine. Alternatively, you can use the CAN-JR or Tesla's J1772 adapter cable and any of a number of EVSEs that provide a J1772 connector. That's what I did. The common starting point, as you note, is the 14-50 outlet. It's kind of the universal high power AC outlet. Just leave the UMC plugged in, so as to not wear out the 14-50 connector contacts.

Only if you really need higher power do you need to get a dedicated EVSE.

Agreed with Jaff. I'm convinced that TEG is the closest human alive to succeeding at this. I started doing the same thing nearly four years ago, and I'm probably at 1/4th of the Roadsters he has knowledge of (I have 378 cars logged, US production only). I would say that the majority of those I have located here on the forum in older posts.

@DeedWest,

Please, feel free and encouraged to disclose such information regarding the findings of 378 Tesla Roadsters you have logged via P.M.

Hope to hear from you soon,

- P.