Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster VP 23 on Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MemDave

Roadster V23 ModS SSL173
Sep 27, 2009
Memphis, TN
My Roadster is on loan to the Edge Motor Museum in Memphis. They recently unveiled it in a prominent display. It is paired with a Model T in a “where we have come from and where we are going” kind of exhibit. The Memphis Tesla club met at the museum for the unveiling.

I thought this group might be interested in the car. It was one of the validation prototypes and was featured in the Road & Track article in February 2009. If you follow the link, I also hope you will take time to read about why I bought the car and to take a look at the KBW flag at the end of the gallery. The Roadster gave me dozens of opportunities to share that story when it was my daily driver. (Us old guys remember "Telsa Time" - the cushion you had to build into your schedule to talk to people anytime you were out driving your Roadster!) The last few years it has mostly lived in my garage. As we come up on the 20th anniversary, I wanted to get it out there as a tribute to my friends. Thanks!

Link to the car on the museum website:
Edge Motor Museum | Memphis, TN

Link to the "unveiling" on Instagram
Login • Instagram

PXL_20210824_201237221.jpg

PXL_20210824_201411174.jpg
PXL_20210824_201604252.jpg

I used to have a '55 Chevy with a '3 on the tree' which would fit right in with that genre. And now a Roadster? Quite a gap!

I hope to visit the museum one day.

Attachments

• AMI Jukebox.jpg
    AMI Jukebox.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 71
I greatly enjoyed reading your story, and am thrilled you’re sharing the vehicle on display to be seen by many! I recently flew up to Medlock & Sons in Seattle to test suspension upgrades they’d performed on my 2.5 Sport, and was told I’d missed seeing your VP23 by just 24 hours. Huge bummer, but perhaps I can visit it on display someday.

Also, I own and daily-drive VP24 in Arctic White, who is just a few weeks younger than your VP23. She says hello!

AD9C2108-7881-4BAA-AC05-9E5C792F2A00.jpeg

I used to have a '55 Chevy with a '3 on the tree' which would fit right in with that genre. And now a Roadster? Quite a gap!

I hope to visit the museum one day.
The AMI is definitely a classic beauty!

As an aside, I got word yesterday the museum has added a little something to the exhibit. They now have a "correct" vintage gas pump by the Model T to go along with the pedestal mounted Tesla wall charger by the Roadster. I am actually a bit excited to see the gas pump.

Reactions: DeedWest
I greatly enjoyed reading your story, and am thrilled you’re sharing the vehicle on display to be seen by many! I recently flew up to Medlock & Sons in Seattle to test suspension upgrades they’d performed on my 2.5 Sport, and was told I’d missed seeing your VP23 by just 24 hours. Huge bummer, but perhaps I can visit it on display someday.

Also, I own and daily-drive VP24 in Arctic White, who is just a few weeks younger than your VP23. She says hello!
Thanks DeedWest! The Arctic White on VP24 is a head turner for sure! Sorry you missed mine while it was with Carl - he did a nice job of getting it back in shape and ready for display.

The AMI is definitely a classic beauty!

As an aside, I got word yesterday the museum has added a little something to the exhibit. They now have a "correct" vintage gas pump by the Model T to go along with the pedestal mounted Tesla wall charger by the Roadster. I am actually a bit excited to see the gas pump.
Presume the pedestal is powered and the car is plugged in. Wouldn't want you to come back to a bricked battery, especially with the Model-T sitting there with a crank on the front.