TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster -vs- Elise SC

Discussion in 'Roadster: Performance' started by doug, May 27, 2009.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

2. Tdave

Tdave Member

They only managed 5.0 secs for 0-60?

3. siry

siry Member

European auto mags do not allow a 12" "let out" like american car mags (except Automobile Magazine). The 0-60 times typically quoted by american mags do not start the timer until after the car has traveled 12". This typically accounts for a .2 or .3 second difference in 0-60 (Automobile Magazine measured 4.4). I don't know what would account for the other .6 seconds. Maybe they did the test with a fairly low charge or after the motor overtemped?

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#4 vfx, May 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2009
    Remember the days of 3.9? Oh yeah, they still are.

5. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

It said there were two in the car at the time. I gather this is normal for UK tests. How much would that add to the time, half a second?

Interesting that later on they say DT2.0 will get the 0-60 down to 3.5 seconds...

6. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

If car's total mass increases for 10%, acceleration time increases for same 10%.
    Assuming driver and pasanger weigh 160 lbs each, that would result in 4.3 s 0-60 time.

Half a second means 12% slower acceleration. For that you'd need 12% increase in mass. 12% to 2883 lbs (car and driver) would mean about 345 lbs passenger. I doubt such a guy would fit into that cockpit:smile:

7. BBHighway

BBHighway Member

I've heard that the optimal launch for the Tesla is to press the brake and the accelerator at the same time. Then suddenly release the brake.

While the motor doesn't rev up, it does torque up, making a faster launch. I think that's how you get the 4.0, or 4.1, or 3.9, or whatever it is now.

You also need have a full charge, put it in performance mode, and then drive enough for the batteries to warm up, but not so much that the motor or PEM overheats.