Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster vs Porsche GT3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - long time P85+ owner here since 2013.
Is anyone cross-shopping the future Roadster to the prior gen 991.2 or even the new 992 GT3?
Reason being, price point will be very similar. The main thing missing from my Tesla and even the newer ones (though much much improved) is the build quality and the driving feel.
I have always enjoyed a 6 speed manual and it will be a relic in the near future. As will ICE.
Thing is, I'm not sure Tesla can deliver the Roadster with all that is promised. I'm eternally optimistic that it will and that the build quality will be up to par for a 200k machine. I've seen several MS Plaid and can say that the build is fantastic compared to what I had.
So, anyone out there cross-shopping these cars?
The Roadster could be a daily vehicle and replace my MS, whereas the GT3 would only be a weekend/canyon carving toy on the side.

Nope, build quality is a manufacturing problem and easy to fix. The roadster won't be mass produced like the 3 or Y so I don't think there will be a lot of quality issues.

The EVs are the future. Why spend your money on old technology? I rode in a 1970s VW convertible and it was loud, it smelled of gasoline, and it had no safety features. I'm pretty sure the previous owner died from lung cancer. While in it, I just kept thinking that in 70s people thought that was luxury.

In 30 years, people are going to look back at the current ICE, maybe even current EVs, and think how terrible they were.

• Disagree
Reactions: XLR82XS and EMDoc
Nope, build quality is a manufacturing problem and easy to fix. The roadster won't be mass produced like the 3 or Y so I don't think there will be a lot of quality issues.

The EVs are the future. Why spend your money on old technology? I rode in a 1970s VW convertible and it was loud, it smelled of gasoline, and it had no safety features. I'm pretty sure the previous owner died from lung cancer. While in it, I just kept thinking that in 70s people thought that was luxury.

In 30 years, people are going to look back at the current ICE, maybe even current EVs, and think how terrible they were.
You are correct. Thx for the response. That is all true and I don't want to buy something already obsolete. But, I do hope Tesla can fix the QC concerns and also agree that the Roadster won't be mass produced, so they should be able to make them as one would expect of a 200k vehicle. The only other issue will be weight and I think with the new cells, weight should be down to 3200 lbs or so (I hope!) thus giving it that sports car drive.
Let's wait and see what happens. I'm in no rush but the intro was 5 yrs ago and we have yet to see a final version. CT first, and then they should release the Roadster as well as the Model 2.

Is anyone cross-shopping the future Roadster to the prior gen 991.2 or even the new 992 GT3?
Reason being, price point will be very similar. The main thing missing from my Tesla and even the newer ones (though much much improved) is the build quality and the driving feel.
I have always enjoyed a 6 speed manual and it will be a relic in the near future. As will ICE.
Thing is, I'm not sure Tesla can deliver the Roadster with all that is promised. I'm eternally optimistic that it will and that the build quality will be up to par for a 200k machine. I've seen several MS Plaid and can say that the build is fantastic compared to what I had.
The Roadster could be a daily vehicle and replace my MS, whereas the GT3 would only be a weekend/canyon carving toy on the side.
I mean.. if you got Model S money for the weekdays, and GT3 money for the weekend canyon run then you have already answered your question no?
If it’s not a money issue then what is the real issue?

I received allocation for a turbo S for later this year so I’m in a similar situation. Plan is for the Turbo S to hold me off and I’ll sell it in 2 or 3 years when the roadster comes out or hopefully get allocation for a 992 GT2 RS lol.

I can’t wait for the roadster but I personally don’t think paint would be any better than the other models, not that it’s necessarily a bad thing. They’re probably going to be painting them on the same lines. Bumpers are still sprayed by hand by the same folks who spray S3XY bumpers, what difference is it to them when it’s a roadster bumper in front of them? Paint thickness is already programmed in with the machines, just different spray paths for different models.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I received allocation for a turbo S for later this year so I’m in a similar situation. Plan is for the Turbo S to hold me off and I’ll sell it in 2 or 3 years when the roadster comes out or hopefully get allocation for a 992 GT2 RS lol.

I can’t wait for the roadster but I personally don’t think paint would be any better than the other models, not that it’s necessarily a bad thing. They’re probably going to be painting them on the same lines. Bumpers are still sprayed by hand by the same folks who spray S3XY bumpers, what difference is it to them when it’s a roadster bumper in front of them? Paint thickness is already programmed in with the machines, just different spray paths for different models.
If you are buying with the intention to sell then you buy a GT3. They very rarely lose value and quite often appreciate. My 996 GT3 and my 991.2 6 speed GT3 are easy to move for as much and more than their MSRP. I saw a 2015 991.1 (PDK only) GT3 at the dealer where I bought my Taycan that was delivered delivery the same day for more than original MSRP.

Had a 997.1 "Metzger". A really special engine, but even that (2007) is matched by Taycan's 7:43 'Ring time. The Roadster is going to crush the GT3 and Taycan. GT2 RS @6:45, maybe not, but without proof I'd almost be surprised if it doesn't land as a four-motor car, with the new carbon rotor (motor, not brake disc). The idea behind its design was to create that space, AFAIK. Torque-vectoring, sticky tires, stronger than Plaid, lower motor mass/faster RPM. It's all good. Plaid showed us the possibilities.

A truly capable car is so much more emotional, than an engine note is to me. These things are going to come off turns leaving P-cars behind like "Close Encounters". Watching Plaid exit pretty much lays it down.

Debating on selling my 17 911S Cab and placing an order for a roadster.
As long as your time long is long... Dont expect to get your hands on one before 2023 - or 2024.
Cybertruck is going to eats up an enormous quantity of batteries and early Roadster deposit holder will of course be filled first.
So maybe place that order now, keep the Porsche so you have something to drive for the next 2 years. Suck up the deposit cost (if you can), so you are not on the end of a _very_ long Roadster queue.

Why would Tesla fulfill Roadster orders first? It's a halo car and the Cybertruck they expect to be a high volume competitor in the most important segment of US car sales. I would think there would be some balance but the Roadster I can see being fulfilled slowly compared to CT.
Because they're going to sell, what, a few thousand Roadsters? And I'm sure the Roadster line won't have a lot of capacity in terms of cars/day.

Even with 2x the cells/vehicle of a Cybertruck, that's only a tiny, tiny portion of the CT demand. They get much more value in press for shipping Roadsters than they lose by being 0.1% behind on CTs, which is about what it would mean. So my guess is that while making any cells at all is an issue, and that competing with CT for engineering time is a big issue, cell demand for production is not.

Probably not going to find many cross shopping here.
One trick pony vapor ware with compromise, and for sure a depreciation monster vs. an icon, visceral and track focused legend with huge waiting list and ADMs.
If anyone with an MSRP GT3 allocation is giving it up and getting a roadster instead, let me know. Haha.

• Disagree
Reactions: Vines and Zer0t
Probably not going to find many cross shopping here.
One trick pony vapor ware with compromise, and for sure a depreciation monster vs. an icon, visceral and track focused legend with huge waiting list and ADMs.
If anyone with an MSRP GT3 allocation is giving it up and getting a roadster instead, let me know. Haha.
Which one is which?

Reactions: Vines
Completely different cars, depends what you are after?

If straight line performance, be it the 1/4 mile or 0-100 sprint, nothing will match the roadster, or even a Plaid S for that matter. Both can be comfortably daily driven.

The GT3 offers a completely different experience - better handling, take to a track and beat the hell out of it all day then drive it home. And the sound of a NA flat 6 doing 9,000rpm is something to behold.